Real or Fake?

Shiby

I am trying to learn as quickly as I can but I am sure many of you can pick these out with out even a second glance.
Do these look real? Or fake?
Hoping if I keep asking questions I will be able to pick things like this out quickly
* Note for full disclosure - I honestly do not know, they are marked as from Japan and "Pearly" but do not designate cultured or simulated "Pearly" on an auction site I frequent* They aren't so great at pearls either apparently lol
Screenshot 2016-12-25 at 5.08.00 PM.jpg

Hi Shiby,
I would be very careful with buying pearls at auction. I think you're gut feeling is right on these. Real pearls photograph with slightly different tones. The complexion, or skin is not perfect one every pearl. Older pearl strands are sometimes available on the Auction site I frequent. They are usually graduated sizes (small to larger at the front) with the old fish hook clasps and dirty knotted and/or broken string. The old strings can sometimes be rehabbed, and sometimes have poor thickness to the nacre and are best thrown away. Be prepared to lose money on each string you bid on. Based on what you have offered, I would not bid.

Below are real akoyas I found at auction. Look closely and you will see small differences in each pearl. Close-ups shows imperfections and slight wrinkling on some. these are signs that it is a real cultured pearl. PS> I got lucky.
20161216_191319.jpg

20161216_182812.jpg

Thanks! I bought a couple books to read too so that may help me start picking up small things as well. That strand is so gorgeous!! I would love to find something with some history to restring for myself. I was worried these seemed... too perfect

Thanks :) Sounds like you have the pearl bug. Enjoy the learning process. Ebay is so corrupt you should almost default to untrue and then look for clues. I was browing today looking for old beauties for rehab and found so many ads for "South Sea Tahitian" pearls that were a ugly dull dyed potato pearl. Sometimes they post them for hundreds of dollars. They are so ugly I wouldn't even put them in my fish tank. :) Buyer be HIGHLY aware.

The strand above was poorly photographed in someone's house (not on the high white background). I think laid across cloth. They were out of focus but the luster came through and I took a chance. Another clue was the 14k clasp. Most older pearls are graduated, so they had that too. Still, was a gamble.
Have fun!

That's funny MM because there is dyed Chinese freshwater pearl necklace on the auction site right now with an appraisal for $1000 that they are trying to sell for over $300. The company that did the appraisal is covered so you can't see their name, but it does worry me that there are people who can't distinguish the difference, which is pretty obvious from several photos, are writing up appraisals. Of course, I could write one up too, so the person's credentials should matter, but sadly, I doubt if people know enough to know what a real appraisal should look like and what kind of credentials the jeweler should have to write one.

Shiby, I feel I know pearls pretty well, but I cannot tell if your pearls are real or now from just that photo. I always ask for closeups, pictures in indirect light on white, pictures of flaws, etc... pictures with flash are worthless as are pictures on black, pictures that can't be magnified, pictures out of focus... you get the idea. They need to be clear, closeups in good light. And even then, it is hard to tell. As far as knotting, the old Japanese pearls were not knotted between pearls for a while and did use silver clasps. When I lived in Japan, most clasps were silver and when I asked why, I was told it matched the color of the pearl better.

That is good to know! Unfortunately I could ask but would likely get no response for better pictures. I passed on that one. I will have to keep in mind that not all were knotted.

You should sign up to take the Pearls As One course. Search on this forum for info on how to take it. You'll learn a lot of really cool things about pearls and have greater respect for all those in the pearl business.

Working on it right now! I am about 32% in hahah so I have a ways to go but it makes me more excited about learning!

I have been researching these pearls for a couple of weeks and they are stumping me as to if they are real. They feel gritty when you rub on the surface of your tooth and they are knotted. They are however very translucent in this picture. They don't look as translucent when I wear them however, they look ivory in colorIMG_0719.jpg. I believe they are either oval or baroque cultured pearls if they are real. Can someone help?

Chinese cultured freshwater pearls, natural colour.. side-drilled "oval" but with lots of 'off shapes" and rings. Some seem to have nice metallic-like lustre, but pretty standard commercial chinese.

Back