Re-selling SSPs

mvpearl

Would anyone know if jewelry stores (higher end family owned types) in NYC or Greenwich CT area would buy new SSP necklaces (given that they have their own buyer/supplier)? The necklaces are bought from trusted vendors with certificate of authenticity. I assume I would have to pay for a GIA certificate if I want to sell it easier through another route. I don't want to do any sort of business. I just got the pearl bug and really like buying the SSP pearls but now that I don't have any friends or family to buy for what do I do as a hobby??? Thanks!

Hi! Thanks for giving me advice. By trusted I mean the vendors are the ones at Greenhills in Manila. The 2 vendors are preferred sellers to certain client base. If they're found to be fakes there would likely be repercussions. Since it's already at retail prices and depending how hard I bargain the profit margin would be small -good point. Hmmm...

If you are thinking of this as a part time business , it's a bad idea. Most jewelry stores have their own trusted vendors they buy pearls from at wholesale prices. You are a unknown with no validity. Are you planning on undercutting their current suppliers with the prices of your pearls?

If you're trying to sell pearls you no longer want, the others have led you in the right direction. Loupe troop, diamond bistro and ebay are a good option. If you have quite a selection you may want to open a esty store. As a person who watches items on the internet for sale. Pearls are selling very slowly and even the good items are sitting on the list I am watching.

Last edited:
I agree with all the above posts. You would lose money buying at retail prices and selling at wholesale prices to retailers like jewelry stores.
The certificates of authenticity provided by vendors in the Greenhills market may not be deemed sufficient, in any case.

Loupe Troop and Diamond Bistro are your best bets for selling pearls you already own but no longer want. Some people list on eBay.

No it wouldn't be a part time business at all. More of a hobby as I found I like to buy the pearls for family/friends who asked me to get it for them. Edit to say: I think I like the process of picking through the pearls and putting together a necklace. I guess I could start a collection and resell (but as lilliefuzzysocks said they move slowly which I do have a lot of time on my hands). Prices that I buy at retail here are still a lot lower than what they would get for in US (all things being equal). I'll check out Loupe Troop and Diamond Bistro. Haven't explored an Etsy Store front. Is it safe to send the pearls to customers? What if they don't want it or it's damaged somehow in the return process etc? THX!!

Last edited:
Also I could explore restringing it into something else as handama suggested. When I looked at the video it looked like it required a lot of patience. Sorry not sure if this thread even belongs under industry news.

You are not going to be able to sell retail pearls to a retail store . They have a margin they are looking for and it's not going to be the small difference between your retail and their retail price. If you have already bought things and need to unload them then you can either try the sites mentioned above or open an ETSY store and try to sell them. Jeremy said once ( if I'm remembering this correctly ) ' It's easy to buy pearls..it's hard to sell them" . This is so true. Anyone can go and buy beautiful pearls..it's not hard...it's just expensive ( and I'm talking wholesale ) . Selling them on is a whole other story.

Katbran- thank you! Pearl wisdom indeed:)
I guess I'll keep and enjoy them hehe

You are not going to be able to sell retail pearls to a retail store . They have a margin they are looking for and it's not going to be the small difference between your retail and their retail price. If you have already bought things and need to unload them then you can either try the sites mentioned above or open an ETSY store and try to sell them. Jeremy said once ( if I'm remembering this correctly ) ' It's easy to buy pearls..it's hard to sell them" . This is so true. Anyone can go and buy beautiful pearls..it's not hard...it's just expensive ( and I'm talking wholesale ) . Selling them on is a whole other story.
Very very well put, my wise friend! Although I have to say, the most difficult part of selling pearls (for me at least) is parting with them...I always want to keep everything...my inner dragon instinct.

Back