Princess Gems / Setme123

They also have 7.2mm Tahitians, I see, which gives me pause because you are not supposed to export anything smaller than 8mm, or has that changed?

Don't they call some of the faux pearls ocean pearls? I can't tell from the photos but I bet they are freshwaters since the price is really low and there are a lot of freshhwaters on Ebay being sold as Tahitians or South sea pearls. Oh and also the size is also a clue. I don't think they usually come that small.

Hi airdancer and all,

The set of 4 so called SS pearls look like freshwater pearls to me. Some of the other pearls look like saltwater and I wouldn't want to bet on the set of 4 Tahitians. Look okay but.. At least one of them looks thin skinned but might be the real thing. The other Tahitian you had a link to looks good but would you get that one. Might but still count on high postage.

Look at the rest of the site and what is being offered.

The site also says there items are in Canada but that is rubbish in my opinion. They are a site from Singapore so probably Chinese. I bought some pearls from Canada recently after I had sworn to myself I would never buy from China again and they arrived from China and although not too bad were not the ones the photos were of, not as good. Even if you picked them up for the price at the moment you would probably be hit with $25 postage. That is how they operate. Also notice that there is very little action on there site as most ebayers steer clear of Chinese sellers. When people clue on to them they just close down and start up another site.

I do wish I could find a good Chinese seller but I just couldn't/can't. You never or very rarely get the item the photo was taken of and if you do it has been enhanced to look something it isn't. So beware.

I am not saying there is anything wrong with a starting price of $9.99 as many sellers on ebay start at that price to pull bidders in but this seller looks all wrong to me.

My apoligise now to all the honest Chinese people out there and if one of you wants to sell good quality pearls Private Message me but first I would want to buy sample strands.

Bodecia

Another thing I meant to mention. There is one photo, one side of the pearl or pearls. What is on the other side, a dirty big blemish perhaps or much worse. It happens. Might be just saving money on photos but I have been caught out that way and not just on Chinese sites.

Bodecia

Thanks all for your comments! I didn't suspect it because of the starting price. The pearls don't look like normal SSP that have thick nacre (as claimed).

I pulled up the recently discussed klonk thread which had a photo of the SSP next to the FW klonk and made me think twice/thrice/etc. The shop also offered another 4 pearls claimed to be Tahitians but they looked just like dyed FW.

Bodecia, an aside, how did you see the shop's from Singapore?

Its only an A+ BUT NICE , and for that sort of money....worth a gamble, john guibal

I looked at it a few more times (especially the tahitians) and decided they were FW. I didn't that that gamble since I didn't think they were particularly exciting FW.

Back