Please help me decide which strand to keep!!!!

If you like the Hanadama but had expected more maybe, to confuse things further, you want to look at more Hanadama strands. I don't know what vendor you chose but there can be some choices in that too and in talking to them about what you got vs what you received. It should be LOVE.

- Karin

PSS can take many forms ... your pearls look too small suddenly ... or more dangerously, your collection looks too small lol ...

My BFF has been saying for years that my husband needs to work on his delivery. He could have gone with -- "I like how the pink ones compliment your skin tone," but, instead, he decided that "you look like Marge Simpson" was the better approach. LOL. I am going to take your advice and give each a test drive.

Still laughing about PSS. I have no doubt it is real. But where, when, and how does it end???????

Once you fall in love with pearls and the pearl buying bug strikes I can tell you it doesn't end. There's no cure and then PSS sets in. Which is a whole other thing. I'm at 22 Tahitian strands and around 70 others. I can't say exactly because I quit counting several years ago. I've added some and given some away ;)

So buy the best quality you can afford in the largest size. If you do that you won't regret any of your pearl purchases. I sure don't.

Last bit of advice.....don't buy "get by with these until " pearls those end up sitting in the jewelry box not worn. Or in my case on top of the safe to remind me never to do that again.

Last edited:
Hi and welcome ! I definitely love both ! Beautiful lustre. And on you ...the White one is my choice. Like someone else said it 'pops' and while the pink is lovely ..the White glows. And it's bigger ....always good to go bigger ...and bigger... believe me in a few months you'll be considering even larger pearls and this strand will seem a normal size.

White is my vote !

The PPS doesn't always happen :) I am still very happy with 8 mm and prefer 16" rather than 18" - at age 53. But we do tend to pick on something we want to collect. And it sure does add up.

I can second the advice to not settle. It is better not to buy than buy something that isn't quite what you wanted. You can waste a lot (!) of money that way. Because you won't wear it much and you will end up with the expensive choice too in the end.

- Karin

The white look best on you, in my opinion, and they do not look like freshwater pearls. I own a natural white hanadama strand and the contrast is more attractive than the pinker strands. Once you get used to them, they won't look big at all. ♡

Thanks everyone. I appreciate the input. One strand (white) is Hanadama. Both are beautiful, but I was expecting the Hanadama strand to really stand out. It definitely shouldn't look like FW, right? So confused. I go back and forth.

But, like you all have noted, they are both pretty, so it isn't like there is a wrong choice.

I'm sorry. Poor choice of wording on my part. The pearls themselves do NOT look like freshwaters. It's just the more silvery colour that I tend to associate with freshwater pearls, because in my mind's eye, akoyas are pinked.

I think both strands are gorgeous, and with repeat viewings, I am becoming more and more convinced that the silver overtone ones suit you better. The slightly larger size, the way they hang, and the colour are better on you. It's more obvious when the strands are worn alone than together.

But there can be subtle but important differences between strands even within the same price/size/grade categories (even with the same vendor, let alone between vendors), so looking at a few and picking the best one for you is always a fun idea.

Once you fall in love with pearls and the pearl buying bug strikes I can tell you it doesn't end. There's no cure and then PSS sets in. Which is a whole other thing. I'm at 22 Tahitian strands and around 70 others. I can't say exactly because I quit counting several years ago. I've added some and given some away ;)

So buy the best quality you can afford in the largest size. If you do that you won't regret any of your pearl purchases. I sure don't.

Last bit of advice.....don't buy "get by with these until " pearls those end up sitting in the jewelry box not worn. Or in my case on top of the safe to remind me never to do that again.

Oh gosh, so much truth in both of these statements. It doesnt end and do not buy strands to "get by" or check off owning a kind of pearl. You will not wear them if you do not love them. Or you will wear them and feel dissatisfied because you need to replace them as a growing collector they no longer meet your standard. Such an expensive waste!

PS...Both of the strands look like akoya and both are beautiful on you.

I'll go with the whiter strand cos:
1- it looks better on you
2- it's bigger and
3- (most importantly) I think you like it more.

I tend to go by the above criteria myself but reason #3 wins over everything else.

My opinion is that both strands have great qualities, so you really can't go wrong with either. However, when compared side by side, the smaller pearls do have a bit more luster (which is not the same as the larger strand not being lustrous), and they also seem quite pink. However, when on your neck, they both look appealing. Also, consider what you'll be wearing them with. Pearls aren't always right on your skin, but also the colors you wear will have some reflective qualities on the pearls. All things mentioned, I'd go with the larger pearls. They are beautiful and I've never heard anyone regret not getting smaller pearls.

The smaller strand is slightly more lustrous but the larger, whiter strand pops against your skin more. I think I'd opt for that strand!

I would choose the larger pearls which have silver overtone. They really pop on your skin. While the ones with pink overtone look like they disappear/blend in your rosy complexion.

I am very new to pearls (if you see any of my other posts that will be clear) so I cannot give you any information on what they are worth or anything, but that pink strand is super pretty!!!!

Thanks again everyone. After further thought, I've decided to ask to see more strands, so I may be back . . . You all have been very helpful. Happy holidays.

Back