Please help me choose Peacock drops to add to strand

KaySD

I purchased this 18" strand of AAA peacock drops (8.3-10.7mm) from PP at the Ruckus last summer. I like to stare at these pearls, as I am mesmerized by the colors, smooth drops and highly reflective luster of these pearls. I find that I do not wear them often, however, due to the size of the pearls and length of the strand. My favorite strands are 19-21" long and have center pearls that range from 12.4 to 14.2mm.

I spoke with Jeremy about adding a few larger drops to the center of the strand to give more length and wow factor to the necklace. Elia e-mailed me pictures with options today. The 3 pictures show the same loose pearls (just at different angles), along with my strand. Most of the pearls are 11-12mm; three pearls in the middle row are 12-13mm. All are AAA or AA+/AAA quality.

I would like to add 3-4 pearls (I do not have to add them in even numbers since the strand does not have a center pearl). I would like a more oval pearl for the center, rather than one with a narrower end. I really like that the pearls in the strand have very smooth teardrop shapes for the most part, so some of the loose ones are out of the running due to the shapes of their narrower ends.

Which pearls would you choose? IMG_0725.jpgIMG_0724.jpgIMG_0726.jpg

Middle Row, third from the left for centre pearl.

For tear drops, top row, first on the left, middle row second from the left, and middle row first on the right.

Hope I have understood the OP's requirements correctly.

DK :)

Given you want a larger , non pointy, pearl for centre ..I'd say Middle Row. 3 from left. It's a bit hard to tell the colour ..can they do a photo of the larger ones ? The shape and size look good but colour isn't jumping out at me .

I do like the bottom row third from left ..lovely colou and the smooth shape works well with your strand ..I'm just not sure of which one to match with it for size and shape.

If you don't want nubs at the front , I'd have another photo with the nubby ones removed .... ( bumps on end) ... And same for deep circle .. If you don't want them at front ..take them out as well for new photo. Some of the smoother ones might have more colour than is showing ..like the ones at end.

From the top, I would choose row two the first three pearls from the left. The third pearl would be the center pearl then the first and second pearl on each side. Pretty!

Just my impression, but I am no expert, so please disregard if not appropriate, but the three centre pearls in the middle row all look rather large compared to the others (in the strand or loose). I wonder if picking a centre pearl from those would make the final strand look a little odd.

My picks based on colour, luster and shapes: the middle pearl in the top row, and in the middle row, 2 from the left, 2 from the right, and finally 1 from the right tied with 1 from the right in the bottom row (the former has a more pleasing shape and the latter has amazing colour).

Tucs makes a valid point. I suggested the middle row , #3 for the centre as you wanted a large pearl..but you are going to have to think about balancing the strand. I could see using the big one and then on either side the #3 from bottom row and 2nd from left bottom row, then the #1 #2 from the middle row. That would give you 5 bigger pearls. It will add about 5 inches .. if that's too long drop a few small ones from the back and use em in tin cup bracelet..or earrings... ??

I like 1,2, and 7 from the middle row. My fourth pearl would be 7 on the bottom row.

pearls for center of necklace.jpg

These would be my choices (not sure how many you are looking for). I wouldn't do a round one in the center as I don't think that would be a great match for your strand (which is all smooth drops).

I have a suggestion Kay :) how about we take a road trip together and choose them in person maybe week after next?

I think newberry's suggestion is the best one!!! Otherwise, I'm with Red. Have fun and keep us posted.

Hi "roomie" :) My advice? Newberry #1; if that's not possible, then Red's advice :) What a fun dilemma to have!

Great idea, JerseyPearl! Any one of those would make great earrings!

Just my impression, but I am no expert, so please disregard if not appropriate, but the three centre pearls in the middle row all look rather large compared to the others (in the strand or loose). I wonder if picking a centre pearl from those would make the final strand look a little odd.

That is a good point, Tucs. As much as I like larger pearls, it may look strange to plop a large one in the center without enough graduation leading up to it.

I could add 5 pearls to the center to build up to a large pearl, but the 5 loose pearls would cost almost as much as the original strand.

As an alternative, I could choose one large, gorgeous peacock drop for an enhancer pendant that I could wear with the strand to give it more impact, and also wear with gold chains, a leather cord, etc. Then I could add an extender chain to the strand to be able to vary the length.

I have a suggestion Kay :) how about we take a road trip together and choose them in person maybe week after next?

That sounds like an offer I can't refuse! ;) I've been meaning to check in to see when you planned to go up to pick out your birthday present. I would love to check out the new haul from Hong Kong. I feel the need for a tincup made with really colorful pearls, either pastel Tahitians or metallic FW.

Back