Pink FW MOP Shells for NZNP

J Marcus

OK. Here are the photo's of shells that I found in my supplies--taken in diffuse natural light. As you can see, parts of them have been made use of as inlay.:D I probably have some more but can't lay my hands on them at the present. I put the small portion in to show the variation in color that I have. These are not polished and the exteriour of the shells is still rough. There may be other species of FW bivalves that are pink as well, but I don't know that much about them and in fact am not able to identify this by species name. I bought them about 30 years ago in a rock shop in Phoenix, Arizona labeled, to the best of my recollection, as "Pink Missiissippi River Mother of Pearl Shell." I seem to remember one of the other members on this forum as having more expertise in Mississippi River drainage system molluscs. I hope this is of some help.

Attachments

• Pink MOPFW Shells-1.jpg
    Pink MOPFW Shells-1.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 33
  • Pink MOPFW Shells-2.jpg
    Pink MOPFW Shells-2.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 27
Marcus:
I love the pink color! How much luster is there? It is difficult to see on my computer.
barbie

Here are photos of some gorgeous mauve pink shells I bought off ebay a couple of years ago. They were being advertised as for inlay. The backs are highly polished, and naturally I can't remember what kind of shell they were. There are three of them approx 5 1/8 x 3 1/2 inches to 5 1/2 x 3 5/8 inches. I will try some new photos of them together tomorrow when it is brighter.

IMGP0192_resize.jpg

IMGP0197_resize.jpg

This captures the richness of color pretty well, please ignore the jewelry.

Speaking of purple pearls.... apparently, the coll bluish-purple 'savory clam' (Nutallia Obscurata) makes pearls every once in a while like 'em all. Does anybody know somebody who might have seen such a pearl?

Judging from the shell's color (and fast growth, and harvesting for other purposes conducive to pearl-finding etc.), they should be interesting.

I've seen fine jewelry with pink mother of pearl-- so this is where it comes from! Love that shade of pink!

Pattye,
Those shells have a lovely color. The artist in me wants to try draping different strands of pearls over them and take photos!

Pink Shell

Pink Shell

The shell we have seems suspiciously like the ones you
have posted obviously our client was wrong in the fact
that this shell comes from the South Island of N.Z.
or maybe the Mississippi once flowed through New Zealand
in ancient times and continental drift!!!!!
Another theory, fell out of a Martians pocket.!!!
Thanks for your input.

(Nutallia Obscurata) makes pearls every once in a while like 'em all. Does anybody know somebody who might have seen such a pearl?

I haven't the faintest idea where you might find such a pearl, but you could just try eating a pile of them in the hopes of finding one. (Any excuse really, they're supposed to be quite tasty.)

or maybe the Mississippi once flowed through New Zealand in ancient times and continental drift!!!!! Another theory, fell out of a Martians pocket.!!!
Thanks for your input.

Martian pockets! How silly! Everyone knows the Martian civilization outlawed pockets when the Venetians invented Gucci bags!

I haven't the faintest idea where you might find such a pearl, but you could just try eating a pile of them in the hopes of finding one. (Any excuse really, they're supposed to be quite tasty.)

Si I hear ;) An that's why I dropped the question out here: if folks keep finding pearls in their quahog and mussel plates, why not this other kind. I'd have to fly them in by the dozen though... not practical for pearling.

Haven't kept up lately, but I'm back. \

Patty--Those are really lovely shells you have. I think they're a different species than mine are. My shells are formed of material that seems a bit on the soft side and don't hold the greatest luster in the world.

Speaking of purple pearls.... apparently, the coll bluish-purple 'savory clam' (Nutallia Obscurata) makes pearls every once in a while like 'em all. Does anybody know somebody who might have seen such a pearl?

Judging from the shell's color (and fast growth, and harvesting for other purposes conducive to pearl-finding etc.), they should be interesting.

Interestingly, as I posted in an earlier thread, I found one of these shells on a beach just south of Bellingham, WA. Thoroughly surprized by finding a purple lined shell on a NW beach, I spent some time on the internet and found it was just this species of clam, probably introduced by immigrants from the far east. I seem to remember that is is called something like the "Mahogany Varnish Clam" here because of the brownish coating that is found on the outside of the shell. They are apparently quite common but not often found because they seem to live further up the shore than the clams normally sought here. I've just got to remember to go out and see if I can find them! I've had the same thought about the pearls. . .:rolleyes:

Back