Pendant

TahitianDreamin

Hey guys

This was sold to me as a laboradorite, I thought it was a tahitian or at least a dyed fwp. Setting is 925, it's on a FUGLY necklace and it passes the tooth test. What are your thoughts?

IMG_4270.jpgIMG_4271.jpg

Last edited:
TD, It's the beads that are labradorite; do you see some flashes of aqua and teal colors in some of the beads? Otherwise they are rather gray looking, but a genuine gemstone. Probably dyed freshwater pearl from the color and shape. FUGLY is in the eyes of the beholder, lol. Labradorite can be very neutral and organic in appearance.

What plans do you have for the pearl?

Looks like Labradorite beads; in first photo, upper right corner I see a flash or 2 of blues. Try taking the beads out in the sun to see if that brings out more of the color flashes; it can be very pretty, and look wonderful with Tahitians ... you may find more uses for the beads than first appears :)

LOL Patty, you're right, I shouldn't be so harsh on them! I looked at the small beads under the loupe and there are flecks of black in them..? I was thinking about taking the pendant off of this chain and just putting it on a metal chain but I'd have to cut it off since the caps on the end of the chain are bigger than the bail :/ who knows maybe I'll just flip it as is. I have way too much stuff at my house right now!!

You guys are totally right btw, now that I'm moving it around a little bit there def are flashes of blue in there. The beads are so tiny I thought they were just glass seed beads!!! Man you guys are good! What do you think of this one:
IMG_4268.jpg

Garnet? I really love the clasp on it. :) Sorry if this is too far off topic!!! :D

TahitianDreamin ... it's jewelry ... never far off topic LOL. I'd defer to Pattye, but I'd say these look like garnet beads to me, but no expert here :) The clasp and charm are pretty ... sterling silver? Try taking those labradorites out in bright sunshine and see how much fire and flash they have before you decide; some are better than others. I have a small faceted strand, and it looks wonderful with Tahitians. In fact, elsewhere several of us were talking about hanging on of the pearl octopus pendants on labradorite :) Have fun!

Yes, garnet for these. The beads seem more rosy, so the would be rhodolite garnet. You photos are so good, I didn't realize how small the beads are. That sterling heart clasp is available from some of the suppliers (artbeads.com is one); I like it also. The loupe is so useful and inexpensive; so interesting to see inside the gemstones and observe the pearl's characteristics, too.

The monitor on my laptop isn't great quality, and I'm realizing I don't always see the photos posted here as clearly as others do.

Cathy Keshi, we both posted at the same time~lol.

I just knew all those years of staring at gemstone beads would come in handy SOME day ... :) Your photos are very good TahitianDreamin!

I love Labradorite ... it's a great neutral colour ... and the good stuff with that gorgeous blue flash... yum ! If you don't like the necklace you can always rework it into some bracelets with some silver beads. Makes nice little stacking bracelets. And the Garnet one..I like the findings .. again if you don't like the necklace..turn it into bracelets.

Back