What the heck are these?

TahitianDreamin

Hey there,

Have this strand of 5.5-6mm pearls. They are round, uniform in shape, have a few divots. No rings. I don’t see much in the way of potato shape which makes me think maybe dyed akoya but the colors aren’t super uniform. Could these be super low grade Tahitian? Or what do you guys think? 14k clasp if that helps. No age available as I bought them at a consignment shop (pre-owned) Thank you!!!!

What the heck are these?Could these be super low grade Tahitian?

Last edited by a moderator:
Considering the mm size, I'm guessing dyed freshwater (only because I have some in my collection). Honora did something similar, with the 14K clasp.
You might look for a small script "H" on the clasp.

Honora's FWP are not usually that round, though. And their dyed FWP tend to be more colorful.
I've also never seen that clasp with Honora pearls (not that I'm any sort of expert on Honora.)

I thought freshwater initially but the colour is so uniformly black while normally freshwaters dyed black present with different colours depending on how the dye takes. While akoya tend to be uniformly very black.

I thought freshwater initially but the colour is so uniformly black while normally freshwaters dyed black present with different colours depending on how the dye takes. While akoya tend to be uniformly very black.
I had the same thought process. I don't think I've ever seen a strand of dyed FWP that color.

Back