Tahitian?

KW79

Hello!
New to the forum and wondering about this ring I acquired from my late aunt. I'd love to hear some thoughts on what type of pearls these might be.
They pass the tooth test.
It says irid plat on inside and something carved in script which is worn and not super legible.
Thank you!
6EA83B08-C2D7-4858-B589-5FF4EA49EB2D.jpeg
10F9CEBA-A7DE-47C1-A959-0973B632CA38.jpeg
04492E97-52B9-47C7-BDDC-9EE25B42F5A0.jpeg
8A1ED82E-AF63-47EE-AEFC-EE22CFB4829F.jpeg

Beautiful ring... "IRID PLA" should be Iridium Platinum alloy. There is plenty info online about this alloy for jewelry.

My wild guess about the pearls is Akoya and color-treated Akoya. How big are they? Any info when she bought this ring?

Nice ring!
What is the size of the pearls?

I don't have a caliper handy but rough measurement is like 9mm. And I'm thinking the engraving might say Cartier.

Yup! Looks like "Cartier", the black pearl has a nice, deep green overtone...if 9 mm (I think it's smaller) it could be a Tahitian pearl. The white one looks Akoya to me. Nice rosé overtone on that one. I think they look like 8 mm.

Or, since the piece is more vintage, the 'cartier' engraving was done at a time when the company had not refined their engraving technique... A possibility? Would a company like Cartier engage in certifying their older work? I know Mikimoto will do that, but there is a relatively high cost for submitting pearls for authentication.

The ring shank is
Or, since the piece is more vintage, the 'cartier' engraving was done at a time when the company had not refined their engraving technique... A possibility? Would a company like Cartier engage in certifying their older work? I know Mikimoto will do that, but there is a relatively high cost for submitting pearls for authentication.
It's the ring shank which is engraved, not the pearls. What certification?

Back