Pearls from Palawan, Philippines

Reema

Hi,

My name is Reema. I recently joined this forum because I love Pearls and I want to get to know about pearls and make informed buying decisions :)

I am interested in buying Golden South Sea Pearls and a friend told me about Palawan Pearls. I have connected with a seller online who has 4 Golden Palawan South Sea Pearls, each 12.5mm and according to her, very high quality. She has quoted a price of 18500 Philipinne Peso (about $453 CAD OR $347 USD). I am not sure about the quality of these pearls.

The colour of the pearls is Gold but not deep gold. The seller was kind enough to send me photos of the pearls and a comparison photo between the gold and deep gold pearls. Gold Palawan SS Pearls 12.5mm.jpg
Gold and Deep Gold Palawan SS Pearls .jpg

I find the colour to be very different from some of the other Golden South Sea Pearls I have seen.

Have these pearls been colour enhanced? I don't have a good idea about the Palawan Pearls or their prices so any guidance will be great and really appreciated :)

Take care and warm regards

Last edited:
Hi Pattye,

Thank you for your reply. You are right about not being able to tell if the pearls have been colour enhanced from photographs.

Thanks and warm regards :)

When the pearls are bought from Greenhills in Manila or other markets in the Philippines other than in the stores of Jewelmer, the chance is very high that the pearls are enhanced. The luster is medium.

When the pearls are bought from Greenhills in Manila or other markets in the Philippines other than in the stores of Jewelmer, the chance is very high that the pearls are enhanced. The luster is medium.
Hi Cees,
Thank you for your reply and for sharing the information about pearls from the Philippines. I have decided not to buy these pearls. I was just not getting a good feeling about the colour and your message has just confirmed my doubts.
Best regards :)

Last edited:
Hi Katbran,

Thank you for your reply. I agree, the colour looks a little off on the dark gold pair. I think it will be best to wait and buy GSS pearls when I am totally confident of the quality. I love pearls and I want to build a good collection which I can enjoy myself and then later on give them to both of my daughters :)

Take care and have a lovely weekend :)

Purchased as loose GSS pearl from Palawan made into pendant. Light color, but I like it.
6F3145CE-5EE9-4C5B-A8FB-FD114C8B8E85.jpg

It does look pink in picture, but itʻs actually a light gold. I canʻt seem to get the lighting right in pictures

Hi Cees, not sure. Good to know. Will try to take picture of this pearl next to the pearl I purchased from you and post. Thank you!

Thank you Pattye! And Gem Geek for your suggestion of taking picture on paper towel!

Last edited:
Back