PEARLS BY THE BAY 2023

kojimapearl

PEARLS BY THE BAY MAY 21st 2023 Casa Madrona Hotel and Spa in lovely downtown Sausalito California

An intimate day long event : celebrating the essence, fashion, history and legends of PEARLS!

LINK TO TICKETS (and more information on where to stay and the easiest ways to reach the event)

We will gather in the open air Junto Room overlooking the stunning view of the Sausalito Harbor
This year we will start at 10am coffee/tea and pastries, followed by catered lunch.

Our honored speakers this year will be:

Dr. Chunhui Zhou: Senior Manager of Pearl identification at GIA, New York City

&
Artitaya "Fai" Homkrajae : Supervisor of Pearl Testing Lab at GIA, Carlsbad

This lecture will focus on:

Abrief history of the role that GIA laboratories play in the pearl market.
An update on pearl treatments and discoveries made by the GIA to identify these ever evolving enhancements. How to identify them and how pearls are tested to identify them.
Testing of natural pearls to determine both authenticity and species when possible
(did you know that pearls have a DNA fingerprint?)
The work the GIA does to catalog and educate, not only it's student body but the world at large about pearl cultivation around the world.
How a pearl testing lab works and the equipment that is vital to the process.

Betty Sue King AKA "the pearl goddess" : Kings Ransom, Sausalito California

Climate Change and its effects of on the Pearl Industry.
Betty Sue brings more than 40 years of experience in the pearl market and it is a pleasure to have her as a speaker this year.

Douglas McLaurin : Marine Biologist, co-founder of Sea of Cortez Pearl Farm, moderator of THIS FORUM!
If you need a run down on who Douglas is the world of pearls, you have not been paying attention.

What ever Douglas talks about, you will learn and you WILL laugh!

Matt Harris: of Matt Harris Designs Austin Texas , GIA Alumni member
His lecture will be "a history of pearls, you have NEVER heard before"
He will also bring with his experiences of making FANTASTIC pearl jewelry for men!

WE WILL ALSO HAVE SOME OTHER HONORED GUESTS IN ATTENDANCE, you'll love meeting them too!

So put on ALL your pearls and come celebrate and LEARN more IN PERSON at Pearls By The Bay!

Please feel free to reach out to me directly if you have any questions!
With warmth and luster, Sarah
KOJIMAPEARL@GMAIL.COM

White Nature Trip Collage.jpg

3F71A675-9B03-4409-A0D4-E35B2EB27D87 (1).jpeg

IMG_5679.jpeg

IMG_3806.jpeg

Sigh…..Betty Sue, Matt Harris, Douglas and Kojima ?!?! 😭….buying a lotto ticket this week, flights from Oz are expensive!

Last edited:
OOOO, wish I could come. I'm scheduled for a weeklong weaving workshop.

I do challenge someone to wear THIS to Pearls By The Bay.

Sigh…..Betty Sue, Matt Harris, Douglas and Kojima ?!?! 😭….buying a lotto ticket this week, flights from Oz are expensive!
ahh thank you ! Hope you WIN and you get three seats all the way here!

You'll be missed! That fringe is pretty great! I nominate Walter!

Laughing so hard I can't breathe ..... SARAH: Does he have to wear the pink flowered hat? And he asked me what I found so funny (he's very nosy LOL) ... and he looks up at me with a gleam in his eye and says "How much does this job pay?"

Laughing so hard I can't breathe ..... SARAH: Does he have to wear the pink flowered hat? And he asked me what I found so funny (he's very nosy LOL) ... and he looks up at me with a gleam in his eye and says "How much does this job pay?"
LOL.. it pay's its weight in pearls dear Walter.. the quiet life of every party! ha ha

Walter would look great in the pearl fringe vest, Cathy!

Please everyone, post lots of photos so I can live vicariously. I really miss coming and seeing all my pearl friends and all the pearls in person.

Walter would look great in the pearl fringe vest, Cathy!

Please everyone, post lots of photos so I can live vicariously. I really miss coming and seeing all my pearl friends and all the pearls in person.
There will be MANY photos to share with you here ! Enjoy your workshop and we'll hope you can join us again next year!

I would totally wear this, but unfortuately they are faux pearls, lol!

I'm reading so much about "Pearls by the Bay" and wishing I could go. Perhaps some day. Weekends are work times for us lowly musicians. When I retire I want to visit a Tahitian Pearl farm, see pearl farming in Australia (and visit Paspaleys to drool over pearls...) and attend at least ONE Hong Kong pearl market (and meet people I've done business with like Etian Konig), and attend at least one US Gem Show.
Until then, I'll just keep stringing, following all of you, enjoy searching this site and the internet for unique and amazing pearls, and designing my own jewelry...perhaps to sell later. I do enjoy seeing everyone's designs and learning so much about all of you, and about pearls on this forum. Someday we'll meet at "Pearls by the Bay." Have fun together this year; you all sound like such good friends!

Back