Pearl Pegs

Urban Jule

Is it possible to make your own pegs to mount pearls? If so, any suggestions for a tutorial? I want to mount 4mm pearls on the surface of a pendant I am designing. Metal is sterling silver. Thanks in advance for your advice.

Do you have the proper torch and gasses? If so, it's really easy to do a basic peg. I did a beginner's jewelry class last fall and took a piece of sterling wire and attached it to the inside center of a small domed circle. I punched the circle from a flat sheet of silver and then domed it. Here's a picture of the bracelet I made using that technique. It's not perfect but I couldn't fine tune it since the semester was ending. The hardest part for me was making sure it all stayed together when attaching the domed disc to the bracelet band. I darkened the silver and have worn it a few times so you can see where it needs to be darkened again.

Attachments

• IMG_20190217_094253.jpg
    IMG_20190217_094253.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 48
Welcome to the forum, Urban Jule. Have you checked you tube for tutorials? Ganoksin.com is a resource also. Have you ever done soldering?

Helen, thanks for sharing your bracelet, the dark metal is a great compliment to the bluish pearls. How awesome to not deal with a clasp!

Love that bracelet, Amti; I'd like to see that one in person!

Great job on the bracelet Helen. As a short cut - though I know you were in class - you can buy precut disks. Saves a bit of effort !

Oh man, wish I knew that ahead of time! I was sweating while heating the silver... it's a tricky process not to melt any of it except the solder!

Thank you all for your compliments on the bracelet. I never meant to post it since it's really not that great of a design and the craftsmanship is a bit embarrassing. I have a gold flex band type bracelet which I love (changed out the cfw pearls into gssps) and wanted to make similar with Tahitians, and this was the closest I could make with my limited skills. The design isn't perfect or super comfortable. But it was something I came up with and decided to keep since it was wearable. It will need to be oxidized again soon but I'll have to wait until I take another class next fall!

I would love to learn how to work with metal and make all my own findings. The clasps I could design...how fun. Don't now when to have the time though. Would get expensive to I think...me experimenting with 18k gold...with kitten to help...

Making Pearl Pegs

Making Pearl Pegs

Thanks for the suggestion. Yes, I have all the proper equipment. I'm imagining that the process is not that much different from soldering a post onto an earring, am I correct? With the exception of making a convex base to hold the peg and the pearl? I've googled "how to make pearl pegs" and have found nothing on Ganoskin or YouTube. Thanks again.

Thanks for the suggestion. Yes, I have all the proper equipment. I'm imagining that the process is not that much different from soldering a post onto an earring, am I correct? With the exception of making a convex base to hold the peg and the pearl? I've googled "how to make pearl pegs" and have found nothing on Ganoskin or YouTube. Thanks again.

Basically yes; you just use a piece of wire and solder it to the cup (or whatever base you're using). The wire gauge is dependent on the size of the drill hole. Much like soldering on a prong to a setting, only it's in the middle of your base rather than on the edges.

And don't forget to lightly saw groves on the peg for the glue!

Back