Pearl of Allah, Fact; Pearl of Lao Tsu, Fiction

effisk

thou shall read the book
Hehe, I know :D

It's just ...huge. Just though it's worth mentioning such big calcareous concretions do exist.

Here's a pic:
perle-allah.jpg

Here is the address for an excellent article that cover everything in this thread

Last edited by a moderator:
effisk,

it is really hard to believe that "pearl" known as teh Pearl of allah or Lao Tze pearls has been bought and estimates its worth between 40-60 million dollars.....

Ash

It has been estimated by the San Francisco Gem Lab at 40 million dollars a couple of years ago I think. I wonder on what criteria they did their evaluation... weight?

Does anyone have any articles on the pearl of Allah? Or point me in the right direction for websites? Sounds interesting.

Is it big enough to test your orient vs overtone skills?? :D Sorry!

no overtone or orient to me LOL ...just a big pickled brain looking thing!

here is what I found on the web allbeit not much to go on.

http://www.susanscott.net/OceanWatch2003/mar21-03.html

http://www.jewelry-paideia.com/reference/ref-pearl-jewelry-2.php

variations on the same story and a couple of now dead links about family squables and reaports of Ossama bin ladden or saddam Hussein, I do not remember which were ofering $60,000,000 to the current owner for this pearl before 9/11 happened, My gut tells me that is possibly legend only..... the links are now dead so I did not list them

I have also heard that the pearl has been insired by the current owners for $60,000,000, even though it was appraised at 40,000,000 but again dead link.... other than that not a whole lot out there on this biggie

As fas as I can remember, the story says Ossama wanted to buy the pearl to offer it to Saddam, but the person in charge of the transaction got arrested at the Canadian border during one of his trips and the sale never happened...

effisk said:
As fas as I can remember, the story says Ossama wanted to buy the pearl to offer it to Saddam, but the person in charge of the transaction got arrested at the Canadian border during one of his trips and the sale never happened...

things are still a bit fuzzy for me buut that sounds about right.

ASh

effisk said:
...a giant clam pearl Tridacna maxima)... 6kg

There seem to be more of the kind alright! Take a look: HERE again, a bit over 6kg of 'clam tumour' :rolleyes:

The named one looks even more disturbing though! Doesn't sound like much of a tribute... maybe a bad joke...

Am I missing something here? The Pearl of Allah is cultured, not natural. I think that would bring the price down a few million. An amulet was placed in a clam and cultured. Here's a link to wikipedia. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pearl_of_Lao_Tzu I've seen other articles on the forum which link to the same info, but the cultured part seems to be overlooked. So, I'm wondering what am I missing?

Not sure I would count that with the normal distinction between cultured / natural. The detail doesn't change the uniqueness of the object.

Still fugly, however hard I'm trying to see anything in it. Yiks! If anyone sees an act of worship in the nominaton, more power to them...

Ok, then I'm missing something. If the pearl isn't natural and it isn't cultured, then what is it? (Besides just plain creepy.)

knotty panda said:
Am I missing something here? The Pearl of Allah is cultured, not natural. I think that would bring the price down a few million. An amulet was placed in a clam and cultured. Here's a link to wikipedia. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pearl_of_Lao_Tzu I've seen other articles on the forum which link to the same info, but the cultured part seems to be overlooked. So, I'm wondering what am I missing?

Knotty,

Yes somethign is missing...

The Pearl of Allah, is a natural pearl was found by a pearl diver in the Phillipines in 1934 (someone double check me on the year I could be wrong)

I agree it is not the Prettiest thing out there. BUT a status symbol none the less..

Cheers
Ash

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Ash
The origin of the "pearl" would not be in dispute if one of the owners hadn't claimed it was their long lost pearl from the Ming dynasty which they were hiding near Palowan, (due to political fears) when a monsoon took the tridactna clam it was currenting growing in out of its protective net and lost it to the sea.

I like legends as much as the next fellow, but I think the only thing proven here was that it was found off Palowan in the 30's. It would certainly be interesting if the China story could be substantiated.

It simply does not look like it grew on an implanted image of Buddha to me. I am also curious about the carbon dating on it too. From where did they get the sample, wouldn't taking a sample be something like dating tree rings and requires a plug going to its core?

I don't see that anyone who wanted to sell would do this to it.

Last edited:
Hi Caitlyn,

Had not heard the "dispute" before.. would be nice to have that story substaniated!
what we know as "territories of where certain speices thrive today"
may not have been that years ago... there are also oddities sometimes animals grwo or are found where theya retypically thougth to be none

If a live specimen of a sealacanth can can be found... who really knows.

Cheers
Ash

It appears to me it would be a simple thing to discover if it is natural or cultured. Take it to the local dentist's office. It also seems odd that the descriptions of the pearl never claim it to be natural, only the largest. As for carbon dating, I'm not sure how accurate carbon dating is to begin with, plus concealed underwater in a (or a series of) clam(s), would make carbon dating suspect.

If I'm not mistaken, I read somewhere that the pearl is estimated to be 600 years old. If such is the case, it can't be cultured as pearl culturing only started late 19th to early 20th centuries.

Don't know though how long tridacna gigas could spew nacre to coat a huge nucleus.:D

Besides, If the clam "got lost at sea", I can't imagine how the clam would reach the coast Palawan from China. These clams are huge and heavy!:eek:

Hi Perlas

Read the wikipedia article knotty cited back a few posts. That is the one with the story. I was just referring to it. The wiki article claimed it had been carbon dated to way back when 600 bpe.

What I thought I was repeating from the wiki article was that apparently, the Chinese hid it off the coast of Palowan for political reasons. Apparently it was also transferred to larger and larger tridacna clams as it outgrew the smaller ones. Apparently it was also held in some kind of net and a strom broke it away and it was lost for centuries. Then it was found by a Phillipino diver in 1934.

In general I am sceptical of most of the claims in the wiki, except that it was found off the coast of Palowan in 1934

Carbon dating is actually very accurate because the half-life (rate of decay) of C-14 (radioactive isotope of carbon) is fixed. To a magnitude of years, that is. It does not change with being underwater.

I'm skeptical of the Chinese claims. Seems that everyone wants a piece of the pearl. The story's interesting though.

Well, one thing I have to agree upon is the reliability of the carbo-dating. And since pearls would be from an organic source, they certainly seem to be a good candidate. However, I am not sure what to think about the whole Lao-Tzu connection. I am actually surprised someone claims to be of direct descent. What wonderful record keepers.:eek: Although I am very skeptical. Mainly, I trust Wikipedia about as much as I trust ermm..better keep that thought to myself. ;)

Honestly, the thing disturbs me on a very visceral level. It just looks too similar to human organs for me to be comfortable with. I can't believe it is valued at $60 billion dollars.

Perlas: If the pearl is 600 years old, then it is cultured and the Lao Tzu story is true. Clams don't live 600 years. By the same token, clams don't live 200 years either so the story of storing the pearl in the clam that was lost for approx., 200 years doesn't check out either.

I believe carbon dating is a faulty science and we'd need a whole 'nuther forum for that debate, so don't start me. :)
Salem: Yes, many families keep very detailed lineage records. Not mine, mind you, but that doesn't shock me.

Raisondetre: Actually, the Lee family isn't trying to get "a piece" of the pearl. They are merely providing it's history as a national treasure.

Salem: "Mainly, I trust Wikipedia about as much as I trust ermm.." LOL Stop making me laugh! :)

I still think it would be very easy to determine if it is natural or cultured. And why don't they claim it to be natural? Do they know something they aren't telling?

But more importantly, why did I even pose the question! Grrrr, what's that saying ... "inquisitive minds want to know?"

Back