Pearl knotting

Boopygirl

Hi there I am new to this group and am looking for how to work out how much length knotting would add to say a 40cm unknotted strand of pearls.
Thank you in advance
Boopygirl

Knots tend to be about 0.4mm to 0.5mm each. (My knots tend to be more like 0.4mm.)

The amount of length knotting would add depends on how many pearls are in the strand.
If the pearls are small and numerous, the knots will also be numerous, so knotting will add more length than if the pearls are larger and fewer.

Also, when stringing with doubled thread, I cut a length of thread 5 times the finished length of the strand. You don't want to run out of thread, which is cheap-- it's a nuisance to start over.

Knotting size

Knotting size

Thank you very much for your answer that was very helpful. I was looking at an unknotted strand of pearls to buy, and trying to work out if I needed one or two strands to make a suite of jewellery, but I am only getting one as there would be too many left over if I got two and as they are multicolour and £50 each it is too much but thank you very much. (The pearl sizes are 3.5-9.5 graduated).

Knots tend to be about 0.4mm to 0.5mm each. (My knots tend to be more like 0.4mm.)

The amount of length knotting would add depends on how many pearls are in the strand.
If the pearls are small and numerous, the knots will also be numerous, so knotting will add more length than if the pearls are larger and fewer.

Also, when stringing with doubled thread, I cut a length of thread 5 times the finished length of the strand. You don't want to run out of thread, which is cheap-- it's a nuisance to start over.

I agree with Pearl Dreams. I always cut my beading thread 5 times the length of the strand of pearls I'm about to string.

I am a 5X gal too. I find that works really well, with enough at the end of the project for a nice finish. If you don't leave enough, you will find it very difficult to work the thread back through the last few pearls. Also, with more thread, more ability to compensate should the thread break.

Back