Old Mine Diamond clasp on Vintage Pearls, Help ID, please

TwoDogMom

Hi,
I am new here and recently purchased this string of about 6.5 mm pearls mainly for the beautiful clasp which has over 1 ct. dwt in old mine diamonds in 14 KT (as marked) yellow gold. It is a box pearl clasp with a marking that I found a picture of on the internet. How old do you think the pearls are what kind? The pearls are cream with a rose overtone. I assume ths clasp would be from the early 1900s with the old mine cut diamonds. I'm sorry for my poor photographs, my phone camera is not good on closeups. IMG_20181101_214701729.jpgIMG_20181101_214941232.jpgIMG_20181101_215242529.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20181101_220733687.jpg
    IMG_20181101_220733687.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 30
The pearls are not graduated, so are not of an age with the clasp's diamonds. Clasps don't usually indicate a maker for the pearls and are often swapped with pearl restringing. And the diamonds could have been set into a newer clasp. They are probably akoya pearls, but I would like to see more photos on a white paper towel or a piece of white paper. You can coil the pearls so we can see more of them close-up.

I can't imagine anyone using an expensive 14kg and diamond clasp on inexpensive freshwater pearls so Inwould assume those are akoyas.

The clasp is beautiful, but you can't tell the age of the pearls from the clasp.

Thank you for your responses. I have taken a picture with the pearls on a white paper towel. IMG_20181104_060242612.jpg

The pearls are cultured akoya pearls, not particularly old nor particularly high quality. I think MSC is right about the soldering.

Everyone is right. The little tiny wrinkles are typical of akoya and give away that they are not top grade, but they are pretty.

Having a remade clasp is not a bad thing, especially when it has such charming diamonds.

It looks like they took a plain box clasp and soldered the diamond bit onto the top surface...

That is exactly what they have done. I've done it too. Its a great way to glam up a plain clasp.

Back