Vintage Akoya?

Great score on your pearl necklace MSC! Any chance it is from Europe? If you wear the clasp on the side, are you going to use the current pearls? They are very nice pearls. If you do use them, will you just place the clasp on the side or redo the pearl placement?

Purranha, you have such amazing designs and such a graceful neck to show them off. Where do you get your jump rings, and what size are they? Are they rose gold?

Wow Purr ... you've done it again!! What a wonderfully creative idea ... I absolutely love the watch broach with the double strand!! I'm amazed that it doesn't slip down to the middle. You're right about the weight of the broach being an issue..you do need to get the balance right.

MSC - I'd suggest using wire and running the design through that first before bothering with the knotting only to find that it won't stay where you want it to.. and look for attractive jump rings...lots of them around .. some nice twisted ones or if they are heavy enough you could hammer them for interest .

Awww thank you Amti & Katbran!!!

Amti - I bought the jump rings from Metalliferous here in NYC eons ago before Etsy & eBay started carrying so many wonderful findings options. It is actually bronze rings that has slightly patina-ed over time, thus looking a bit like rose gold. They are 7.5mmx10mm. If you are wondering about the size of the larger connector, let me know and I'll measure!

Katbran - haha yah the brooch stays put! And it was completely accidental (I did not experiment around, it was my first try and happened to work). I did make other designs where the brooches were sitting tilted in the middle which I love too.

That leaf if so pretty Purr! I'll likely end up using small jump rings so they can be hidden behind the brooch(es). Doing a quick test on wire is a great idea!

Purranha' what an ingenious idea - endless possibilities. Love the broaches and combos!!

Love your graduated akoyas and clasp, MSC, a brave buy that has worked out very well!

Update!

I was going to restring these on beaders secret, but didn't have the right size for the holes. I ended up doing it on wire with bumpers. I shortened the necklace by several inches, then using the wire shortened it more, so I may redo and add more pearls. I was aiming for 18 inches. I swapped out the clasps after finding this white gold, onyx and diamond one on a cheap strand of imitation pearls. As Mariah Carey said on NYE, "it just don't get better than that!" I gave the pearls a bath and the luster really improved.
IMG_8273.jpgIMG_8266.jpg

Update!

I was going to restring these on beaders secret, but didn't have the right size for the holes. I ended up doing it on wire with bumpers. I shortened the necklace by several inches, then using the wire shortened it more, so I may redo and add more pearls. I was aiming for 18 inches. I swapped out the clasps after finding this white gold, onyx and diamond one on a cheap strand of imitation pearls. As Mariah Carey said on NYE, "it just don't get better than that!" I gave the pearls a bath and the luster really improved.
View attachment 47391View attachment 47392
Lovely pearls...and wow you find the most amazing clasps!

Those are awesome. Love the clasp too. Where did you find the bumpers? What a cool item.

Thank you, Jersey, hanadama, BWeaves, amti and moneymeister! I found the clasp on ebay, I think I had searched for white gold clasp and pearl necklace. I was surprised the seller was selling that clasp on a poor strand of imitation pearls. It was listed as enamel but ended up being onyx. Either way, couldn't beat the price.

Money - the bumpers are made by beadalon; many on here use them when stringing on memory wire. Apparently, there's a production shortage till March!

Love the new look. And clasp is amazing. As mentioned u do find interesting clasps.

Thanks, Jersey! The pendant features ruby and diamonds, which are my mom's and my birthstones, respectively. It was my mom's favorite pendant and she used to wear it everyday till my folks split (it was a gift from my dad). I always loved it, it reminds me of mom and brings up many happy memories :)

Back