Vintage Pearl Necklace with Diamond Clasp

Seabreeze

Hello! I inherited this double strand pearl necklace after it was appraised in 2004. Replacement value at that time was $5,000. I now need to sell it and I was hoping to get some idea of what you might think would be a fair price. Thank you in advance for your thoughts!!

These details come directly from the appraisal:

Pearls
Quantity: 100
Style: double strand
Nature: cultured
Min. Size: 7.25mm
Max. Size: 7.30mm
Length: 17.5"
Composition: uniform
Shape: round
Color: pinkish-white
Blemish: lightly blemished
Nacre: thick
Luster: good
Matching: good

Total weight is 59.8 grams, the 14k white gold stamped clasp contains 10 old mine diamonds and 8 full cut diamonds and their total weight is approximately 1 carat (some of the diamonds are chipped).

Attachments

• pearlALL.jpg
    pearlALL.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 33
  • claspclose.jpg
    claspclose.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 31
Unfortunately, secondhand pearls, like most other jewelry, doesn't usually seem to sell for anywhere near the new price or replacement value. Many people seem to decide to just keep them for someone special after they get an idea of what they're likely to get. Below I keyed in completed listings on eBay. The ones in red didn't sell, the greens did. This is assuming they are akoya pearls, (Mikimotos go for more). Otherwise, you can run a search for freshwaters. I don't know what the diamonds and gold add, but here again, it is used jewelry. Good luck with it, hope this helps.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/Fine-Neckla...ete=1&_nkw=akoya+pearls&_pgn=3&_skc=100&rt=nc

I don't know the value, but I am sure who ever buys it is a very lucky lady. It's a gorgeous necklace. Do you know how old it is?

Awesome necklace! Go to ebay and search similar necklaces with that type of clasp. You could list it with a reserve price. You might want to let us know what you're hoping to get for them.:cool:

An alternative to eBay in case you don't want to risk it, is to consign it at a local jeweler. Normally I would recommend using eBay but with that beautiful clasp you might get a good price for it from consignment, and it is less risky (eBay has scamming buyers just as it has scamming sellers.)

Back