Ode à ma Mère

Last one, because I know some of you love jade.

IMG_2302.jpg

IMG_2306.jpg

The rest of my hoard is not pearl related. I'll post more photos at a later date when I restring some of the necklaces.

Wow, BWeaves, I'm so glad you got the photos of that gorgeous ring to upload correctly ... very lovely! The bracelet is so pretty :)

Thanks, BN. I love your taste, so I'll consider the pairings. I'm definitely working on the Birthday strand first to nestle in the 9 mm choker. I really like that look.

Oh, I posted too soon ... more photos :) Those choker arrangements and nested pearls are going to look wonderful together, BWeaves. I don't really mind the lapis and pearls and lapis together either ... That's a lovely shade of jade! Even the Majorica set is stunning.

Thank you, everyone! I just had to share with people I knew would appreciate the pieces.

Wow, they are all spectacular and I think you should post the rest of the hoard. For posterity sake ;)

It's an embarrassment of diamonds, rubies and sapphires. Are you sure you're up for it? There's not a pearl in sight.

I suppose if you call a group:

A murder of crows.
A glaring of cats.
And a bloat of hippopotami.

Then you could call it an embarrassment of diamonds.

I'm currently getting rings resized, and other pieces remounted in different settings. Mom was very heavy at one time, and then made up her mind to lose weight and kept it off. Some of her jewelry she had resized or reset several times. Some of it fits me. Some needs to be reset again to be wearable.

My sister wanted and got most of the big stuff and all the emeralds, but it suits her better than me. We came out pretty even. And we also gave my brother quite a lot for his wife and daughters, and he wasn't expecting anything at all. But Mom always treated every child equally and we learned that well.

UPDATE: My brother asked again if it was OK that he had Mom's original engagement ring, because he thought we both had shocked looks on our faces when Dad gave it to brother. Sister decided it was the proper time to say, "Yes, that was supposed to go to me, but it's OK. Your wife looks thrilled to have it." Brother said that if anything happened to his wife, the ring would go to my sister. I swear, I have the best family, ever.

Last edited:
It's an embarrassment of diamonds, rubies and sapphires. Are you sure you're up for it? There's not a pearl in sight.

I suppose if you call a group:

A murder of crows.
A glaring of cats.
And a bloat of hippopotami.

Then you could call it an embarrassment of diamonds.

I'm currently getting rings resized, and other pieces remounted in different settings. Mom was very heavy at one time, and then made up her mind to lose weight and kept it off. Some of her jewelry she had resized or reset several times. Some of it fits me. Some needs to be reset again to be wearable.

My sister wanted and got most of the big stuff and all the emeralds, but it suits her better than me. We came out pretty even. And we also gave my brother quite a lot for his wife and daughters, and he wasn't expecting anything at all. But Mom always treated every child equally and we learned that well.

UPDATE: My brother asked again if it was OK that he had Mom's original engagement ring, because he thought we both had shocked looks on our faces when Dad gave it to brother. Sister decided it was the proper time to say, "Yes, that was supposed to go to me, but it's OK. Your wife looks thrilled to have it." Brother said that if anything happened to his wife, the ring would go to my sister. I swear, I have the best family, ever.

you absolutely do have the best family....i wasn't that lucky with mine.....
and if my mom and dad were alive to have seen it....it would have killed them right there and then

Holy cow! I can see where you got your love and taste for jewelry and pearls. That is a pretty amazing collection. I really really like the small pearls nestled with the larger pearls.
https://www.pearl-guide.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=49180&d=1488308823
KaySD recently posted this picture of her 7-7.5 akoyas nestled with her 8-9 FWP. I loved this look so much, I am thinking of some akoyas to "nestle" with my 8-9 SSP.

Thank you for sharing your mother's collection. It is a trip down memory lane and a reminder of the connection that this jewelry holds from one generation to another.

BWeaves, how lovingly you write about your Mother and her beautiful jewelry treasures; it truly touched my heart. Thank you.

Oh, about the diamond huggies that are too tight ~ your jeweler may be able to replace the posts with ones a couple of millimeters longer that would fit your earlobe better.

Well slap me with a moldy turnip and colour me flabbergasted - What a collection ! Absolutely wonderful pearls..and lapis..and jade..and 'organic material pearls' ..rings and earrings .... so gorgeous!

Pattye ... good idea! Certainly worth taking them into to a bench jeweller and getting an opinion. Be a shame to not wear them. I have trouble with some huggies .. the smaller hoops can be quite tricky .

Pattye, I had not thought of having the posts of the huggies replaced. That might make them hang a little lower, too. Good idea. Thank you!

Katbran, "Well slap me with a moldy turnip and colour me flabbergasted . . ." Hahaha, I haven't heard that one before.

Hanadama: I got rid of my 1982 era, Anne Klein, akoya like, fake pearl rope when I bought my first real pearls, and I've been kicking myself ever since. They were really quite nice.

Add me to those who look forward to seeing that abundance of diamonds, rubies and sapphires when you are ready, BWeaves. Lovely stories :)

There's professional business attire. There's business casual. And then there's wash the car casual. I'm a computer programmer. My fellow co-irkers think cut-offs, flip-flops and superhero T-shirts are acceptable business attire. Needless to say, I'm WAY over dressed for my office, but they are used to me.

Mom's 9 mm akoya necklace, her SS drops hanging from her diamond loop earrings.

IMG_2412.jpg

Mom's ruby and diamond ring she bought in Greece.

IMG_2401.jpg

IMG_2419.jpg

Tricolor gold bracelets. Mom bought me the one with the diamond pattern decades ago. She bought the zigzag one for herself at the same time. I adore tricolor gold jewelry because I can wear any color metal and it all goes together.

IMG_2402.jpg

My own pink tourmaline ring. I had the stone recut because the table was scratched, and then had the stone reset in this new setting with pink gold and palladium. The palladium "cup" the stone sits in helps to reflect a lot of light back through the stone. The diamonds from the original ring setting went into the The Swan pendant.

IMG_2418.jpg

I'll never be a hand model.

Last edited:
BW, so many pretties! I love your birthday choker. And what a great family story! And your fake pearls are rather nice too!

Back