Nucleated FW Pearls at Ross Simons?

john675

I receive 20% discount coupon today for Ross Simmons and took a quick look at their pearls. I saw a necklace that really seems to be nucleated freshwater pearls (can that be at regular jewelry department store?). What do you think?

Ross Simons

John

I wouldn't be totally surprised if there were pearls to be had, but the quality level remains to be seen/proven. Going on the diamond color and clarity they cite in their earrings with pearls, I'd guess that the pearls would be the equivalent of an "A" or possibly less from one of the forum members' businesses. In the photo they don't look round to my eye and the multicolor strand appears not to lay evenly.

But that's just conjecture. I'm curious to hear what Jeremy and others may know...

Last edited:
Interesting Fireball shape- rather suspicious, especially considering the size. I wonder if Ross-Simons' buyer got the memo...?

I'll definitely concur with John- those are bead-nucleated- with what exactly, remains to be seen! I am wondering about the price, though... Typically, FW Fireballs command a bit of a premium due to their extreme luster and relative rarity on the commercial market... the photo is of fairly poor quality where color/luster is concerned

Definitely bead nuked, to my eye. However I think the colours are a little odd - the pink perhaps too pink to be natural (but I guess it could be) but the grey obviously dyed. Probably means not great quality. I'm surprised at the price, though - seems very inexpensive given the wholesale prices I'm getting quoted for similar sized pearls...

Yes, they are fireballs (nucleated freshwater). The picture really is hi-res though, just use the zoom-in feature.

The necklace isn't knotted between the pearls... One interesting feature is the beads. The top two on each side are round, and the bottom one on each side is cubicle. Just different.

The one thing that stands out to me is that they are using incorrect sizing. I am surprised. This is something you would not expect from a corporate site.

If you read the fine details they say the pearls are 14x18 mm/5x7 mm. So they are basically saying the pearls are 5-7 mm in size. That seems a little odd to me, CBSB are usually larger, but who knows. If they are as stated those are some very small beaded freshwater pearls.

I think the first measurement refers to a range of lengths and the later to the range of diameter or widths.

Speaking. On my hit list is a long strand of black colorful color-treated big tacky fireballs. Can't find any! Anyone know where I might get a strand of these? Not really interested in the nice elegant colors -- (though I think the ones in the photo are a great deal...very tasteful) big artsy things! Someone here posted a strand as part of their collection that meets the criteria, but I forget who. Let me know if you have a source, please.

silverseajewelry said:
I think the first measurement refers to a range of lengths and the later to the range of diameter or widths.

I agree, but that is the incorrect way to measure a strand, and by advertising the length in the title instead of the width, it is either a bad mistake or meant to mislead.

Another thing I thought interesting about these pearls. As some of you know, I do sell some shell pearls, and one of the popular colour groupings is white, pale pink and silver grey - just like these. I wonder if by any chance the low $$, unusualcolours and weird sizing adds up to a possibility that these may be the first "fake" fireballs - maybe they are shell pearls in fireball shapes. I do stock baroque shell pearls - very popular!

Interesting, Nerida.

I need to start reading whole posts before replying instead of skimming...

If length is the lead line in the ad, it's definitely meant to be deceptive, I think.

Another thing I thought interesting about these pearls. As some of you know, I do sell some shell pearls, and one of the popular colour groupings is white, pale pink and silver grey - just like these. I wonder if by any chance the low $$, unusualcolours and weird sizing adds up to a possibility that these may be the first "fake" fireballs - maybe they are shell pearls in fireball shapes. I do stock baroque shell pearls - very popular!

Interesting proposition, but Ross Simons already sells shell pearls and does not call them cultured pearls. They have a good reputation for moderately priced jewelry. Everything I have purchased from them has been good quality and exactly as described. Their shipping is high, but they are trustworthy. ;)

I'm glad to hear that (let's keep the flag flying for all the honest sellers)- I've never heard of them over here, probably obviously. If they are the real deal, I'd love to know how they can sell them for that price. I would also love to know how they can be getting sufficient numbers consistent(in size, quality) enough for online advertising given that most "on the ground" wholesalers that I know are only coming up with a few strands at a time.

Fireball is a "marketing" name given at the moment to the attempts the Chinese are making with bead nucleating their freshwater pearls. There is an excellent commentary on this development written by Jeremy in one of the sections on the left of the page - perhaps someone could remind us where!

In short, the freshwater mollusk does not have the ability to house a bead nucleus in its gonads, as do the south sea varieties, so the bead has to be inserted into an existing pearl sac, from which a pearl has already been harvested. At this stage of development of this technique, a "tail" is being formed on one lip of the pearl - perhaps due to the pearl sac not closing completely around the implant (PLEASE someone correct me if I am totally off track). The resultant pearls have a large, spherical section (around the implant), and a tail, therefore resemble comets, or fireballs - hence the name. No doubt the clever Chinese will overcome this production fault within a few years and soon we will have perfectly round bead nucleated freshwater pearls and our lovely current all-nacre pearls will be just a pleasant memory (unless we've stocked up!).

I have enclosed a photo of som fireballs of mine, but suggest you visit druzydesign treasures on ebay as Carolyn has some examples of the very nicest fireballs around(http://cgi.ebay.com/STUNNING-22K-AA...43083QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1742.m153.l1262.

At this stage, there is no guideline for how long they should be left to grow, or any standards on nacre thickness, making it all a bit hit or miss for now, methinks!

79 LP close up.jpg

Fireballs run the gamut of qualities just like regular freshwaters, so the Ross Simons fireballs are probably just ordinary grade.

Ross Simons has some physical stores in the United States, so it's possible to go and check them out. If you get their catalog, you'll see they use a lot of pearls in their jewelry, especially with gemstones. ;)

@ Nerida -

This is very interesting, thanks for mentioning the cultivation technique; I'll have to poke around for Jeremy's article. I have been wondering where the fireball aesthetic came from and if it is deliberate/accidental or a combination.

PS - I finally saw the fireball necklace on my browser at home...for some reason the one at work tossed me into other parts of the catalog. So my comments above pertain to other pearl jewelery there.

Ross-Simons is one of the stores I visited here in CT before ordering my Freshadamas-- I wanted to see what I could get locally first. All the CFWP in their showcase had lower luster and were unappealing. Worse than the CFWP in other mall stores, even. They looked significantly duller than their Akoyas (which were also not so great.)

Their catalogs (available in the store) always make their pearls look lustrous; however seeing them in person, I was not tempted.

Ah..your fireballs are my comets . Yes, I have been having lots of fun playing with them - lots of different sizes, (up to 25mm long..wow) and colours available. Mostly with quite a broad tail, but one of my suppliers just mailed me photos of some with a good round shape and only a short, thin tail, so they are indeed getting close. They must be putting more than one nucleus in at a time as they do arrive with the beads grown together into some amazing and huge shapes
Am I understanding it correctly - these pearls are a second/subsequent harvest from the same mussel?
wendy
(on a learning curve)

If the pearls have only 5-7 mm in diameter. They are small. Generally, the beads have a diameter from 6 to12mm. The trend is 9-12.5mm. One oyster has only one or two beads.

North American Freshwater bead nuclei in that size are not only hard to obtain, but expensive! I would expect the retail pricing to reflect that...

Jeremy, do you know if all Fireballs are nucleated with the saltwater clam shell (T. gigas), or are they using bironite too? I can't imagine any other materials being employed available in the large sizes described- well, except for a composite (yuck).

If it is clam shell, I would be wary about purchasing such a strand- those pearls will crack eventually.

Back