New to this forum...

Sokie

Community member
Hello everybody
I am new to this forum.

I live in Sweden and are not used to being active on forums and not used to write in English, so please bear with me.

I have read for a long time now and learned so much on this forum (and from the other forum) from you with your incredible knowledge of pearls.
So with my new knowledge, I decided to buy a necklace with Tahiti pearls. Here in Sweden it is not so common with Tahiti pearls and if you find Tahiti pearls here they are very expensive so I started looking outside of Sweden and I finally found my necklace on Ebay. I bought my pearls from pearl_society and I have only good things to say about this vendor. What caught my eye was the soft colors of the necklace and I fell in love with it. Here is the vendors photo
s-l1600.jpg
The vendors description of the pearls
“Sale! 16 inches of outstanding TOP AAA GRADE, an organic natural multi-color, Tahitian South Sea Cultured Pearl strand.....Each of those insanely gorgeous pearl exhibit an excellent high luster with silky smooth and virtually very clean faces..........Each pearl also possesses a thick nacre as it should be......Absolutely stunning 32 Tahitian Seawater Pearls, perfect for your "High End" custom jewelry designs.....you (the buyer) will receive the actual "pearl strand" on the photos.........You will find top quality drop shape Tahitian pearl strand such this NOWHERE ELSE.........don't missed this opportunity to get one for yourself.......This is the LAST strand available of this quality.”

I'm really happy with this purchase, I love them !!
What do you think of them, did I make a good buy?

Hi Pearl Dreams and thank you.
Unfortunately, I have no knowledge of stringing my self.
Can I ask you what color of the thread you would use these pearls?

Welcome to the forum Sokie :) No need to worry about your English; it's very very good. Your new pearls look beautiful. Have you received them yet? We'd love to see more photos when you get them; it's always fun to compare vendor shots to real life shots; lighting can make pearls look so different. How will you set your strand?

Wow! Those are beautiful, I love those lighter colors!

Hi PearlDream, CathyKeshi and LBoone thank you so much!

PearlDream
Unfortunately I dont know how to string pearls, maybe I will lurn someday.

CathyKeshi
Yes I have received them and here are some photos
IMG_4657.jpg
IMG_4699.jpg
IMG_4671.jpg
IMG_6966.jpg
IMG_7100.jpg

Lboone
Me to, love those lighter colors.

Hi Pearl Dreams, CathyKeshi and LBoone and thank you so much:eek:

Pearl Dream
Unfortunately I dont know how to string pearls, maybe I will lurn someday.

CathyKeshi
Yes I have received the pearls and here is some photos
IMG_4657.jpg
IMG_4699.jpg
IMG_4671.jpg
IMG_6966.jpg
IMG_7100.jpg

LBoone
Yes me to, I love the lighter colors!

What pretty colors. Good photos!

If you would like to string them yourself, it really isn't hard. There are how-to threads stickied at the top of the Lowly Beaders Forum here on Pearl-Guide-- check them out.

As to thread, I like to recommend Patye's Serafil thread (sold by P-G member Pattye on Etsy) or Beaders Secret thread because it's a strong synthetic thread that comes in many colors. I use it to restring my own pearls. It's slippery, so the knots slide right into place without the use of any tools. And if you make a mistake it's not hard to pick out the knot. (Silk is the classic thread but it is harder to work with if you are new to knotting, and it should not be gotten wet.)

Pattye's Serafil: https://www.etsy.com/shop/PatriciaSaabDesigns?section_id=14365735
As to color...maybe Mist? Or Gray, or Sky Blue? (What do the rest of you think?)

Beaders Secret: https://www.etsy.com/shop/BeadersSecret?ref=simple-shop-header-name&listing_id=629201017

Pattye also carries flexible wire needles and gimp (French wire) used to finish off a necklace. You would need to find a clasp you like. There are many sources online for clasps.

Last edited:
They look beautiful! Have you received them yet? I'd love to see more photos! And yes, stringing is easy once you get the hang of it. You should give it a go!

The pearls look lovely! Congrats on your purchase and I hope you love them. You'll find that Tahitians tend to reflect colors that surround them, so the colors will look different depending on what is nearby.

They look beautiful! Without knowing the price it's hard to say if it was a 'good buy' but they certainly appear to be very pretty. Just remember that in strong sun or light you won't see the colours as well...better in soft lighting. Do post a photo when they arrive. And as you are in Europe we have a member with a store in U.K., she might have supplies, If that helps with shipping and duty . Wendy from Pearlesence UK

Hi Sokie, I saw the strand on Ebay too. I think you got a reasonably good price. Post pictures please when it arrives. And neckshots of your new beauties.

Sorry, folks-- I was able to see Sokie's photos and other posts so didn't realize the rest of you weren't seeing them. I forgot they needed approval by a mod, since Sokie is new to the forum. :)

Last edited:
Beautiful pearls and welcome to PG.
Totally agree on using pattye beaders secret.

Sokie, I really love your Tahitian drops, the colors really pop beautifully. IMHO they look even better IRL than in vendor's photo. Sure you can knot them yourself. Wendy from www.pearlescence.uk can help you with Beader's Secret thread and needle and gimp. She has lovely silver clasps too. The are definitely worth the price you paid ;)
P.S. they somehow remind me of the lovely pastel Tahitians of Baby Nurse....

Hello everyone and thank you for your kind comments about my pearls.

I can finally see my replys, thank you so much Pearl Dream !!

Pearl Dream
It's so funny, Mist also caught my eye when I looked at Beader's Secret, that was before I signed here to this forum. I think I'll go for Mist and I will try to string my self. Wish me luck.

hanadama
Thank you, I will give it a go.

amti
Oh yes, I love them !!

Katbran
Thank you very much and I know about Wendy from Pearlesence UK and I have looked at her shop and she has some really nice Clasps I like.

kalmen22
Thank you so much!

Pearltje
Thank you so much and oh yes, I have seen Baby Nurse beautiful pastel Tahitians.

It is thanks to you ladies and this forum that made me finally dared to buy the Tahitians, you ladies rock !!

What I like about these pearls are the soft pastel colors and soft and clean surface on them, and I think they have a fantastic luster too.
The price was $ 579, but with VAT and other fees the total cost was $ 736 and I know that i could not find pearls like these and with that price here in Sweden so I'm really happy with the purchase.

Sokie, those pearls are incredible! I think you got a wonderful strand. Even I can knot pearls ... you will do well, especially with Beaders' Secret thread. Stunning strand of pearls; congratulations!

Hi CathyKeshi and thank you very much, yes, I really love my pearls and I can not wait until I can wear them.:D

I will really go for it and try to string the pearls, but I'm nervous about it.:rolleyes: I will try to order some wire and other accessories tomorrow.

Sokie, your pearls are outstanding! such great colors and so well matched into a strand! i know you will enjoy these. :)

you might practice on a strand of beads before trying the knotting on your pearls - i know the trickiest part of pearl knotting for me is always finishing up the necklace - getting the last few pearls just right. maybe create a bracelet or two for yourself on some fun beads so you get some practice in. (or? maybe you'll be more naturally talented than i am the first time! :))

Juliebeth has great advice, Sokie. I happened to have a small bag of freshwater pearls to start on, and so I did a bracelet as my first try. Don't get discouraged; practice will help! I restrung that bracelet over 4 times, learning something each time, till I got it the way I wanted it :) You can do it, and many here will be glad to help you. Give the Lowly Beaders Threads a long read; wonderful instructions, tips and advice there!

Back