New necklace 'project'.

I saw on Jac's etsy shop that it is taking a short break so you won't be able to see it at this time (I wonder what goodies he'll add on there.), but he left his e-mail there :). Maybe you could email him a question on some prices?

Hello Katbran and Abi. Thanks for the info.

I am looking at easter wind atm.

Expense wise for my necklace project. I noticed in easter wind they also put the weight of the pearls. I bought mine by weight as well. I paid 800$ for 2 strands of baroque white and gold SS total weight 140 gr, paid 600$ for 20 pieces of round tahitian pearls total weight 35gr and 1500$ for 30gram of solid 22ct yellow gold. So my 2.5 metres necklace total expenses is 2900$ thats included cost to make them.

There are 80 baroque pearls in mine. 800/80= 10$ per baroque pearls. Tahitian is 600/20=30$ per round tahitian pearls. Gold 1500/30= 50$ per gram gold.

Last edited:
Well your costs per pearl are not too bad for retail. And, let's face it, for a necklace that long , using even low grade South Sea pearls there is no way to get out of the project inexpensively . I do think you really should have him do up a sample run so you know that you like the look. Also it was previously suggested that you work in a few clasps so that you can wear sections as individual necklaces. That's a good idea.

I can't help but wonder how heavy that necklace will be once it is made. Thus, I third (or fourth?, Fifth?) the recommendation to have it made into smaller clipable lengths, and also ask to see it once he has 35" or so completed so you get an idea of how it feels, how the chain wraps, etc... sometimes tin cups tend to get wrapped in each other. Having different lengths will allow you to wear them with ease (your neck will thank you), wear a strand as a bracelet, and maybe even as a belt!

That is going to be a terrific necklace. I am envious of the 22k gold chain. It's going to enhance those gold baroques and contrast with the other pearls. Seriously, we will all be dying waiting on the neck shots...

I really am looking forward to the end result.

I wish there are photos to give me examples on how and where to put the additional clasps?? Katbran if you know a place where I can get a lower cost for pearls please let me know hehe.

Amti actually we can count the necklace weight. 140 gr+35 gr+ 30gr= 205 gr. Its not heavy at all.

Gemgeek yeak I like the color of yellow gold better with pearls compare to white gold. Will give contrast. You can get 22k gold anywhere right?

I am really looking forward to it as well Abi.

I guess you're right about the weight for over 3 meters of necklace, but I don't usually wear that much weight at once. I bet it will be an eyecatcher though. I do prefer yellow gold over white gold for the contrast and pop factor, too. And no, I do not see 22kt for sale here in the states. Almost all the 22kt gold I've seen sold here is baht gold.

Update!

Update!

Sorry long update. A lot been going on. My dad in law just died after 4 years battling with bowel cancer. Had trouble getting in to pearl guide because I have forgotton my password hahaha..anyhow...the Necklace is completed. Its not with me yet. Still in delivery somewhere. But I got the picture! The chain look a bit small so I hope itll hold up and wont break.

And off topic! He also got this cute ssp baroque pendant set in 18k gold. So I got that as well! It kinda look like albino eggplant.

Attachments

• 20170708_102812.jpg
    20170708_102812.jpg
    8.2 KB · Views: 35
  • P1050917
    P1050917
    27.2 KB · Views: 40
  • 20170708_104135.jpg
    20170708_104135.jpg
    10.7 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:
I'm so sorry to hear about your father in law, sending lots of positive energy your way.

Your necklace is stunning!! More photos please!

Thank you Sanippy, JerseyPearl and Katbran. It was a long ordeal. Pretty close to the inlaws so its a bit sad. Now my mum in law wearing his wedding band as a necklace..so sweet! She wore a strand of pearl at the funeral service as well.

Ill post neck pic as soon as I got the necklace.

Last edited:
And off topic! He also got this cute ssp baroque pendant set in 18k gold. So I got that as well! It kinda look like albino eggplant.

Originally eggplants were white, and egg shaped and egg sized, which is how they got the name eggplant. Every rare once in a while a local grocery store has them in stock and I buy them and cook them and eat them all up. Yours is way prettier.

So sorry for your loss - all the best to you and your family.
Looking forward to more pictures of your lovely pieces!!

Back