New find...

hbyrne

Hello there fellow pearlers!

I'm just looking for opinions on this two-row antique necklace which I bought recently. It looks natural to me, but almost all the pearls have flattened, filed ends, some with non-nacreous elements to them. Are they just very poor quality? When I bought them they were hideously filthy and I've cleaned them with salt, regraded and taken out some broken pearls.

As you can see from the pics they are distinctly creamy/light gold colour., with some having a pinky hue. 20 inches in length. Smallest measures round about 2mm, largest 4mm.

I've been pondering them for some while now...has anyone seen anything similar, or any thoughts? I'd be really grateful for any help :)

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Hi Helen,
They have a lovely lustre and interesting colour variety. Looks like they've worn down a bit around the drill holes from rubbing together. My first instinct says they're naturals.

Have you thought about candling the largest ones to see whether they'e translucent, or if there is a bead inside?

Next step is to find the right clasp for them, or did they come with one?

KiwiPaul,
Thank you....I've candled them (tho' I didn't take any pics to show), and they're translucent. Are natural pearls often a mixture of nacreous and non-nacreous do you know? The non-nacreous areas are like 'caps' on either end around the drill hole. It's something I've seen before on another older natural necklace....curious...

Still looking for a clasp as it came with both rows on a single -row clasp.

Helen,
See the necklace I bought recently, it reminds me very much of the two strands you are showing here (mine are natural).

DSC_0224 - Version 2.jpg

Yours will become more beautiful as you wear them like mine did.

Pearlies....thank you all for your responses. Your positive opinions are much appreciated...I feel I'm getting my eye in now!! I'll carry on my search for a suitable clasp, which seems to be the most difficult thing to track down!

These were passed to me by the dealer who was selling them, saying, ' Horrible, you won't want those'. (he sells all kinds of costume, broken, badges etc)...I had a little feeling...that they looked interesting....had a look at the clasp, which was a pretty paste silver one, said 'The clasp is pretty, how much?'....'?10' he said! I didn't dare ask for a better price! 'Rubs hands together.' But, they were VERY dirty!!

This little tale illustrates just how misunderstood and under appreciated pearls are. Beneath all that grub were these little beauties :)

Back