Need help on buying earrings

Theresa

Community member
Hi! I'm looking to buy a pair of AAA grade earrings for my aunt as gift. I?m thinking to buy either golden Akoya or SSP. She wears 22k yellow gold accessories and golden complements her skin tone. She likes both studs and dangle earrings. Does larger pearl suit dangle or hook earring better and the smaller one for stud? Is hoop or leverback better? I can't decide which type I should buy. Is the nacre for today?s AAA comparable to the pre-WW II? Obviously, I haven?t owned pearl earrings and am clueless. Could the members please enlighten me.

Does larger pearl suit dangle or hook earring better and the smaller one for stud?

I think most women would agree with this statement. Really large pearls don't always sit great on the ear lobe but its personal preference of course. I might suggest looking at golden SS pearls if she has a taste for gold tones.

Hello Theresa,
A very beautiful gift you are considering for your aunt. The south sea pearls will have a thicker nacre, be a natural golden colour and a larger size than the akoya pearls. I do think studs need to be a smaller size than a drop/dangle, just because of how they sit on the ear lobe. Some people prefer the lever back earrings for security reasons, but there is so much variety in hook styles, shapes and sizes, some more secure than others. You may even consider a stud post earring with a pearl drop/dangle. You didn't say what shape you were looking for, both akoya and SSP come in round, baroque and semi-baroque.
Ah, so many choices. Good luck.
Margaret

Back