My first pearls! (Jewelmer earrings)

I wore them so much this week that when I took them out tonight, my ears bled! :( so scary and painful. I got my ears on antiseptic now, thinking if i need to wrap them in gauze but dunno how to do it. Ouch. Is there a trick to taking out earrings? You just pull, right? Haha maybe they were too tight.

I don't just pull.

I hold the front of the earring in place and gently work the back off (without moving my earlobe at all), then gently pull the post forward out of the hole after the back has been removed.

Also, I have a bad habit of pushing the backs on too tight. I've gotten better at just pushing them in until they just "click" into the little groove on the post. My ears are happier at the end of the day.

wyndslash, that can happen if you were not in the habit of wearing post earrings on a regular basis-- posts are often thicker than French wires and keep the piercing holes a bit more stretched out. Also if the GSS earring posts are thicker than the usual posts you wear, your ears were just not used to it and inflammation resulted.

After a day of resting the ear lobes, and maybe icing them to reduce inflammation (hydrocortisone cream also helps), ease back into wearing earrings. Try alternating days of wearing the GSS with days of wearing some other post earring that you find comfortable. This way your ears will get used to them gradually.

thanks for the advice, guys :( i never knew so much blood could come from a small hole :( (no pun intended ;) )

Yeah, I am definitely not used to wearing thick posts (the posts are thick due to the weight of the pearl, according to the salesperson; it's a good thing), and I was also afraid that the earrings will fall so I unconsciously push them a bit too tight. Definitely not good.

Anyway, my poor lobes are sore and resting up. In fact, I can see some blood clot, so it's slowly healing itself.

Oh dear! Well you've got some good advice here...don't put them in for a bit and be sure to clean the posts of blood. Keep an eye on the hole and the lobe..if they get warm or red..you might have a doctor take a look. You definitely want to avoid an infection. I usually just use salt water to wash them and a little antibiotic cream. Only wear your lightest earrings till they heal.

How big are the earring backs (ear nuts)? I usually replace the little earring backs with really big ones, sometimes called monster ear nuts. I find that my heavier earrings sit better, don't droop, and are more secure with the bigger backs. Plus, it's easier for me to hold the bigger ear nuts when putting on and taking off the earrings. The jeweler should be able to replace them for you. They'll cost a little more, but they are worth it.

What a way to start your collection. Having been to a few Jewelmer stores in Manila, I totally understand their incredible appeal. I also fell for golden pearls after I went to Jewelmer. Welcome and looking forward to seeing more incredible pearls from you.

I find it's good to have a gold earring in place as the hole heals, so that the holes don't close up. A piercing is technically a wound, and the body likes to heal wounds-- i.e. close them up! I like to wear a 24K over surgical steel stud to avoid any irritation from nickel as they heal.

Hey wyndslash!

The skin in the ear hole tend to be more delicate, so my personal preference is to often stick my earring post into a pot of vaseline or lip balm before threading the post through my ear. For me, it reduces irritation, make both the insertion & extraction smoother. I also don't put on the ear back too tight, but I try to add on a rubber stopper behind it pending on how long the posts are. I always do that for hooks, and I also do that for larger earrings that has a horse-shoe shaped spring claps over the ear post (did that make any sense? I can take some pics of examples.

My ear holes are quite sensitive so I can not handle thicker gauge, but I do find the bigger ear back (ear nuts a la BWeaves) is very helpful! If you find your earrings to be "stuck" on your ear, I would also recommend trying to rub on a small dab of vaseline around it to help loosen it up, then you can remove it without having to exert too much force.

Good luck!

You can also dip the post in antibiotic ointment before inserting it, until it heals.

Back