Need Help! Buying Gift Need Advice on Size and Color

TJeep_1999

I would like to buy pearls for my wife for our 5 year anniversary. I plan to get an 16"-18" strand necklace, bracelet, and studs. I would like something she could use for every day use. Her work is a step above casual, but no one wears suits. She is 5'0" tall and probably close to 100lbs so pretty small. She has Italian decent so think dark brown hair, eyes and light tan for her coloring. I've read on-line a bit and I've pretty much settled on getting the Freshadama pearls. I'm not sure if that factors in at all or not, but I thought I would list it here. My questions are:

1. I know 18" is the classic, but with her being so small will it be too long? Should I go w/ the 16" instead?
2. I'm debating between 7.5-8mm and 8.5-9mm size. I want them to look nice, but no so big they are too formal. If they look too formal I don't think she'll wear them, but I do want them to look expensive. While I'm leaning to getting the bigger size for the more expense look I'm a bit concerned that b/c she is pretty small the 8.5-9mm might look too big on her especially w/ the studs and bracelet. One thing I am sure of is getting them all the same size... I do not want the size mixed/matched from earrings, bracelet, and necklace.
3. I was thinking of going with the classic white color because... well, it's classic/timeless and this will most likely be the only set of pearls she ever owns, but I'm thinking rose might look nice w/ her coloring.

Thanks in advance for your advice. I had considered asking her onion on the above, but I think I would rather have this be a surprise.

I would get 8.5 to 9mm, it's still a relatively small size in real life and not too formal. How about 17 inches including the clasp, I am a tad bigger than your wife, 17 inches seems to sit nicely, I also like to wear 16 inches strand as well. I find 18 inches too long for rounds.

The freshadama pearls are beautiful, and perfect for every day. Since your wife is petite, you might get an 18" strand, have it shortened to 16" or 18", use the leftover pearls for the earrings, insuring a good match. You might even have enough to make a pair of studs and a simple pair of drops. Also, if the necklace and bracelet clasps are compatible, she will be able to connect the 2 to make a longer necklace to wear with other tops such as turtlenecks ... very versatile. Your wife should be very well pleased with such a lovely and thoughtful gift!

Another vote for 8.5-9.0mm -- definitely not too large, she'll get used to the size very quickly!

I would recommend less than 18", probably 16", but it also depends on her taste -- does she have pendants she likes to use, and if so, are they rather snug, or longer? Also, what kind of collars does she wear? Making studs or drop earrings with the leftover pearls from the shortened strand is a good idea. I recently did that with a strand I got from PP and I'm very happy with it. I'm petite, 5 4" and 115 lbs and can wear 16" fine.

I think Freshadama is a great choice. I'd get the larger one, 8.5-9.0 which is still nothing huge at all even though your wife is petite. It seems like every other woman on here says she started with 7-8 and it wasn't long before it seemed too small.

Maybe split the difference on the length question and go with 17 inch.

My personal choice would be studs at least one size up so they don't have that "boxed set" look. The pearl earrings stand out for individual attention rather than just looking like another of what there's many of in the strand. Of course there's nothing wrong with a matched set though, just personal preference.

The bracelet would be optional because matchy-matchy isn't really in so a lot of women would not wear the bracelet and strand at the same time anyway. The usual thing is necklace and earrings, I think. Also, I'd go with a double strand on the bracelet because one strand on the wrist just doesn't have much wow factor (in my humble opinion, of course). And, if I got the bracelet too, the double strand would probably be smaller pearls. I think different sizes on the pieces adds interest and as I said, matchy-matchy isn't so much the thing anymore although of course some ladies like it.

I'd get white because it goes with everything, unless you know she'd rather have something else. White looks like the classic akoya set (but at a better price and pure nacre rather than a nacre-coated bead). Pink looks like freshwater. Nothing wrong with that but it seems the usual first or only set is white, if you care.

If you mean rose as in one of the overtone choices rather than pearl color, the pearls will not look rose colored, they will look white. The overtone is very subtle. I am not sure which overtone would go best with her coloring but I'm sure PP could help you with that.

For the metal color, unless you know her preference I'd go with whatever her wedding rings are.

Whatever you get, good luck!

The freshadama pearls are beautiful, and perfect for every day. Since your wife is petite, you might get an 18" strand, have it shortened to 16" or 18", use the leftover pearls for the earrings, insuring a good match. You might even have enough to make a pair of studs and a simple pair of drops. Also, if the necklace and bracelet clasps are compatible, she will be able to connect the 2 to make a longer necklace to wear with other tops such as turtlenecks ... very versatile. Your wife should be very well pleased with such a lovely and thoughtful gift!

I was going to say something along the same lines!

also I would go with 9 -9.5 mm but that is me

How wonderful! I am 5'2" and I like 16" necklaces, personally. This picture should give you some references. I had a long strand re-worked into a tin cup, a strand, and dangle earrings. This particular solid strand is 17 inches. The pearls are 9 to 9.5 mm. I say go larger than you think because as we women age, we tend to like larger pearls and many of us lament the purchases we made earlier with smaller mm pearls. Also, these pearls are "pinked" so you can see that even though they're rose, they appear white on the skin:

7 2761 w

9-16-15 5.jpg

If it were me I'd like a single bracelet that I could use as an extender for the strand. It just gives way more flexibility (although I agree that a double bracelet is beautiful on the wrist). I would go for the larger earrings though. I bought matching ones for my strand and in hindsight I wish that I had gone larger. I also think size is a personal preference and might depend a bit on where you live. Here people assume my large freshwater metallic ones are faux, as "real" pearls are typically the classic 7.5-8mm size. In other places, jewelry tends to be worn larger. A good guide would be engagement ring size. Here 1/2 carat is thought of as large. I'm guessing that might not be the case in Toronto, Calgary or Vancouver. In many parts of the U.S. much larger is the norm too. I was blinded by the bling in Texas! Women on the East coast seem to go big too. Maybe use that to judge for where you are.

If she wears any beads or necklace now regularly that shows that she likes that particular length and bead size - take the hints

Ditto to what Wendy said. Get out a ruler and check out her favorite necklaces to see their lengths. That might also help you mentally calibrate what 16 or 18in might look like.

Also, opinions vary widely on the sizes people like to wear for studs. I think it depends a lot on the wearer and her ears. Does she have any stud earrings that can help you gauge what sizes might look good on her ears?

I've been through similar questions when trying to buy jewelry for my wife. Rooting around with a ruler was very insightful!

Back