Nautilus pearl

Not necessarily nautilus, trust me. Clam pearls can have a fabulous ring of fire. They both look like clam pearls. But nice for a colllection and if you got lucky, even better. ;)

I am off to give a talk on rare pearls at GIA in a few minutes. I'm humming with energy!

I am off to give a talk on rare pearls at GIA in a few minutes. I'm humming with energy!

I know it will be fab! You are so well-prepared. Donna or someone there going to take pix? I can hardly wait to hear about it!

Best Wishes for a smashing success!

Not necessarily nautilus, trust me. Clam pearls can have a fabulous ring of fire. They both look like clam pearls. But nice for a colllection and if you got lucky, even better. ;)

Good luck!

We really haven't seen a thing on this thread that doesn't look like a clam pearl, but I do think there is a notable difference between the pearl on the left and the pearl in the middle in my prior post.

We do need to see that monograph from GIA!

Thanks guys, it went well. I am thrilled to have been asked and they said I can come back every year if I want to. ;) A photo was taken, but I'm not sure where it will turn up.

Think about the rarity of the one Nautilus pearl that has been certified. No one in the area had ever seen one in their history. Clam pearls have a range of flame from lumps of dull wax to brilliant rings of fire. Making an assessment by sight, especially photo, is wishful thinking, but if the price is right, those pearls would be a nice addition to your collection.

The monograph is coming, but no one knows yet when it will be published. I'm sure Ken wants to have his ducks in a row before he proceeds.

Cheers,
Blaire

I am thrilled to have been asked and they said I can come back every year if I want to. ;)
Heartfelt congratulations, would have loved to have been there!

Think about the rarity of the one Nautilus pearl that has been certified.
I seem to recall reports of multiple certificates. In any case, at this point it is the certificate that is rare, not the pearl. The pearls in this thread have proven to be chameleon-like under different lighting, with more than a hint of digital manipulation. Pearl Shooter's image, showing the polar 'swirl', is the only claim of ID that we have, with no acknowledgment or attempt at explanation regarding the dichotomy of nacreous shell and calcareous flame.

The monograph is coming, but no one knows yet when it will be published. I'm sure Ken wants to have his ducks in a row before he proceeds.
As we have seen here, the monograph was released some time ago to a privileged circle, but is reported to be undergoing urgent revision.

Right. We'll learn more as time passes. In the meantime, it is fun to geek out about nautilus pearls, isn't it? ;)

The fact is, it's a huge deal. GIA has staked their reputation on this. Show me something more intriguing in the world of pearls!

Thanks

Thanks

Well, Steve, I am in the middle of reading Grand Obsession, Perri Knize's engrossing book about her search for the perfect piano; that world certainly equals pearls when it comes to intrigue!

Thanks, Pattye, because I've been wanting something new to read. Best, Tom

Grand Obsession, Perri Knize's engrossing book about her search for the perfect piano; that world certainly equals pearls when it comes to intrigue!
We were subject material for that book, interestingly inspired and nurtured by Perri's involvement in Pearl-Guide's piano equivalent, Piano World.

She is an investigative reporter, with all the right instincts.

I wonder if she likes pearls?

This thread is certainly more intriguing than most mystery stories on the market-this story has so many possibilities. I am looking forward to the next installment.

Blaire--do you have the written text for your presentation (with any illustrations, etc.)?

Blair
Congratulations! If you did it, it is, no doubt, excellent!
New thread on the talk with some pix of the pearls?

Jeremy saw my powerpoint presentation today and said that I can give it at the next Ruckus. Realize that you have seen several of the photos, as I have asked permission to use them from P-G people.

Some my photos are of natural pearls that have since been sold, so even though I took them with permission of the dealer, I won't put them up on the web because some are uniquely recognizable.

Tom,

What color is the pearl under natural light? I'm remembering the prior Nautilus and the distinct coloration in the image by Pearl Shooter vs. yours. The bluish tone of your prior image is repeated in this case.

Remember my shot was for a catalogue with many other pearls. To have the images look uniformed throughout I needed to light each pearl the same. Melo's included. Natural light can be direct sun or an overcast sky, each giving a different effect. Thats why we love them so much. Strong direct light will get the inner colours to reflect but make for generally harsh looking image. The trick for me as a photographer is to find the balance.

The trick for me as a photographer is to find the balance.
Whatever you did worked. It's your image, vs. the clammy greenish ones, that holds the interest in this thread.

Last edited:
Back