Nacre colors

Those are pretty.Can you tell me what this shell is? I like the rainbow around the edge.

Attachments

• shelltiny.jpg
    shelltiny.jpg
    7.3 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:
It looks a bit like a Heelsplitter or a Lightfoot. A freshwater mussel, definitely. The cumberlandia monodonta is a little "thinner" and tends to bow in, not out.

This type is commonly used for blister pearls in China.

Last edited:
I think so, though it has been peeled. Photo of back below. edit: It looks just the opposite, dark at the center, but who knows with the peeling?

I tried to adjust the green bias, in photo shop, but don't have a consistant formula of adjustments that work.

Adjusting photos is like choreography, you have to remember a series of steps.....

I forget when or where I got it- probably in a second hand store long before I got into CFWP- but I guess the lust I have for for iridescence drove my liking of this shell.

Heelsplitter, lightfoot- those both American species?

Attachments

• shell.jpg
    shell.jpg
    4.6 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:
The Lightfoot (Elliptio complanata) is a very common mussel on the Eastern seaboard. It was once used to make buttons. After seeing the back of the shell, however, I do not think it is.
There are several different Heelsplitters, and yours looks more like a creek or a Carolina to me (Lasmigona decorata). But this is really just a guess as I have not studied shells much.

Back