My pearls

About 1 1/2 years ago I was working on a fairly complex jewelry line. Most of the pieces were gems only but I did a pearl piece as well. This was before I got into pearls so the quality of the pearls is not great. I thought you might find it interesting, though.

There are 84 wired beads. They are mostly pearls but there are also a few beads each of crystal quartz, pearl, rose quartz, lepidolite, chalcedony, tourmaline, iolite, rhodolite garnet, moonstone, hematite, amethyst, smokey quartz, aquamarine, peridot and morganite. The beads are wired with silver and put on a waxed cotton thread.

I called the line "It's a bit like life, isn't it?" because the necklaces looks different everytime you wear them and if you look closer there are many more details than you thought. It is a nightmare to try to photograph, though. I am afraid that I can't really capture the true impression of it. It is much more shiny and interesting in person.

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

- Karin

Neat, how the different torso-colors show off the cluster!

That cluster is brilliant!:cool:

May we have a close up and another spread out? I like that technique!

Last edited:
Sure thing, Caitlin! I'll get some better pictures. Only I need to return from celebrating Easter with my in-laws. In the meantime I have on my computer two good shots of a tourmaline necklace made in the same way - 80 little rondelles:

attachment.php
attachment.php

- Karin

Hi Karin,

80 rondelles!!!! I really admire you guys who have the patience to individually wrap them. They are very nice. I make some necklaces myself - but prefer to take the easy way out. :)
I have not been on this forum for a looonnng time, just decided to peep in. BTW - just wanted to tell you that the pendant on the white pearl necklace in your posting #3 is the symbol (letter) for the word "OM". (I am Indian. :) ). "OM" is our sacred Hindu word - just thought you might want to know in case you didn't already.

Cheers,
SR

Hi SR,

I am an India fan :) I have been to Chennai twice, once staying with a local family and giving workshops, once on my own. Half of my dresses (and I only wear dresses) are modified kameez's bought from eBay and my favorite earrings are 22K gold ones from Chennai.

I have even made a large OM stamp myself that I use for some of my clothes. European clothes is generally dark and dull. I want colours and spiritualism :cool:

- Karin

I have now added Tahitian pearls to my collection :eek: As always I have put them together myself. Much more affordable and also more fun as you can see. I like to deviate from tradition. I bought a 32'' strand of Tahitians from Sarah (Kojima Pearls) and ended up not only with these pieces but also with a set of gifts - earrings, tincup bracelet, tincup necklace and pendant. Plus 5 pearls to spare!

attachment.php
attachment.php

attachment.php
attachment.php

attachment.php
attachment.php

For more details about the materials I used, please see my post at Lowly Beaders Club

- Karin

Last edited:
Great pieces Karin! The pearls look huge in the #1 picture. I like the #2 the most. The necklace looks beautiful.

I can't believe it!!!

Peter, my husband, just gave me a strand of multicoloured, near-round Kamoka pearls, personally delivered by Josh in our exchange house here in Portland.

I mean, yes, in my dreams, but I never thought I would get a gift like that. Now I only have two problems - what to use for a clasp and that I will probably not wear my brand new strand above again because though they are lovely, they are no match for these beauties.

- Karin

Oh Karin,
So happy for you! You certainly have the best now. Pearls and husband too :)
Looking forward to a picture.
Happy belated Birthday.
Marianne

Congrats and happy belated Birthday, Karin!
*pictures please* Can't wait to see!
Elizabeth

What u think about these South Sea pearls?

Attachments

• P7160319.jpg
    P7160319.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 42
Thank you all for welcoming my latest and greatest pearl addition!

I am afraid that photos will have to wait until I get home - though heaven knows how I might reproduce the debth of the colours.

Right now I am frantic trying to decide how to use the strand and what findings to use. I only just finished the ringed Tahitians and now I have to start all over again - with even nicer pearls. They deserve the best - on a fairly depleted budget. Can I find a way to make a bracelet as well? And I need to order within the next day in order to get my stuff while I am still in the US and avoid the heavy taxes in Denmark (add $25 fee, 0.25% af all costs including shipping on all items above $14!). Stress!!

- Karin

Hi Karin,
Check out Pearl Paradise. Jeremy has some beautiful findings and they ship very quickly!
Good luck, don't stress :)
Marianne

Ok, so I decided to go vermeil this time - at least until such a time as I have the ability and funds to get high karat gold. Like several other people on this forum I have a weak spot for the warm colour.

I got my findings from Nina Design. I have good experience with the quality of the vermeil and she has original designs. Choosing something other than a traditional claps gives me more freedom to play with the expression I find. I have decided to demolish the original Tahiti necklace so I can reuse the diamond/silver link. There will also be more of the rolled gold beads. I need to free enough pearls to somehow make a bracelet as well.

I can start playing with the parts when I am home in a week and a half. Until then I'll just keep pulling out the pearls and let the strand run through my fingers :p

- Karin

Here we go! Here are my beauties - all strung and ready to wear. It was a bit of a puzzle deciding how to make the pearls into both necklace, bracelet and earrings (earrings not shown) without it being too apparent that I was stretching the strands a bit. I feel very happy with the result. You might recognize the silver/diamond link from the previous Tahitians (that are now all loose pearls).

For now I have had to settle for vermeil clasps and the wax beads with rolled gold - both solutions I also chose for the first set of necklace/bracelet. In time I plan to upgrade to solid gold. I have also used the amethyst and peridots links again. The facetted gems in the bracelet are rubies.

As you will see I have not bothered with the white kitchen tissue this time. It is impossible for me to capture the colours of the Kamoka Tahitians anyway.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

- Karin

Back