My pearls

KarinK

Hi,

I joined PG last autumn. I got some really helpful advice about pearls I considered buying and reading through the beading section helped me a lot since I string my own pearls. Since then I have mostly been lurking but now I would like to share my small collection of homestrung pearls.

Is it good or bad to share all the information about where I got my bits and pieces? They are all recommended and fellow beaders might be interested but I don't want to spam. If it is a problem, let me know, and I'll edit it out.

My first necklace was made from big freshwater hunkers from a company I can't remember the name of right now, German wholesellers. They are up to 13 mm. I love the look but they are so heavy! I just restrung them but the pictures are from the fall. The claps is a copper clasp I got from Etsy.com. I still use thread from Griffin. I haven't graduated to finding a needle that works for me yet :)

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

- Karin

My other purchase in the fall was two strands of amazing pondslimes from Sarah at Kojima Pearls. I really wanted her Tahitian string but I didn't have enough money. Probably didn't have the money for the pondslimes either but what can you do... :) The pearls are soooo beautiful, all the colours of the rainbow and some of them even like molted gold.

They are strung with a clasp that Sarah got me from Nina Design. I usually burn off vermail in a matter of weeks if not days but this is really sturdy. A bit far between the knots. I guess I didn't stretch the silk enough before I started.

I usually wear my necklaces over colourful dresses as the one above but I chose a plain t-shirt for the pictures to show off the pearls - think "Oriental splendour"!

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

- Karin

Last edited:
This spring I got inspired again. Here i a necklace with the tiniest little seed pearls that I got from Gemphora, who has supplied quiet a few of my gemstone beads through the past few years. I wear it together with a strand of similarly small rhodolite garnets. The garnets have a clasp at the end so that I can put different enhancers on it using just the wire I have. Right now it holds two small rubies.

attachment.php

attachment.php

- Karin

And finally my other project this spring - two individual strings of freshwater beads that I wear together. One has one of the pondslimes hanging from it. The other has an old blue akoya and a very pale blue aquamarine briolettes hanging down. The clear beads are faceted morganite coins from gemphora. The pearls have been bought locally.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

- Karin

Great designs! Love the work that you've done and thank you for the photos.

Did you also make the pondslime earrings? Lovely pearls on those.

Those pondslime keshi are gorgeous. Thanks for sharing!
Marianne

I particularly love those keshis. And of course always the big ones.

Thank you for your kind words, Pattey, Heidi, Marianne, and Ramona :)

The keshis were so amazing in real life, even compared to Sarah's original pictures. Right now I love the layered look of the traditional FW strands but I know what will still be in my jewelry box 10 years from now!

Yes, I made the keshi earrings as well. I only just finished them. I spent a long time deciding how to make them, all winter in fact. Mostly I considered solid 14K gold hooks with the 14K gold headpin but it wasn't until I looked through my disgarded pieces I came across the pair of gold earrings that I scavanged the posts from. I really like the contrast between the wild keshis and wire and the more traditional posts.

- Karin

Karin, you lurk well! I love everything you made and the earrings really are a delight. Now that you've come out of lurk-mode, please stay around. :cool:

Thank you, GemGeek :)

I am having another go at reading through every single thread in all of the posts. It is great for educational purposes. I am pressed for time, though as I am also trying to keep up with gemologyonline.com. A familiar forum to you as well, I believe :)

But reading through all the posts here really makes me want to be a part of the community so I'll try harder to post. I just wish I had more knowledge to share or some truly stunning pearls to show. At the moment I am trying to save up in case my dear friend finally decides to sell her late mothers humongous emerald cut sapphire ring. I need to be ready! But new pearls on a smaller scale may be in the cards for my birthday this summer as we will be in the US during that time. Adding 25% plus a $25 fee to anything entering Denmark bought from places like PP or TPO puts a serious damper on the possibilities.

I am very happy with the earrings. I was looking for a more professional jeweler look and am limited as I can only wire and knot, not do goldsmith work. I will be copying the idea with a pair of glowing emerald cabochons that my friend (with the sapphire ring) gave me in return for stringing a spinel necklace for her - anytime :) This time I was lucky to win a pair of earrings on eBay for $20 with the same design as above. They have little pearls dangling in a sort of golden cage that I will remove. I am sure I'll find something to use them for later.

Do wish I had the money for perfect akoyas, radient Tahitians and glowing SSP. Maybe one day... Or maybe one day I will have made such a contribution to society that I will be gifted with them :-D

- Karin

If you time your visit to come to the Ruckus this summer, you can meet people and geek out over pearls! :cool:

I wish!! :p

I'll be as close as Portland but I cannot see how the husband would let me off on my own for two days, him being stuck with the kids and the bill :(

- Karin

Oh... Karin.. I love what you are up to! My favorite is the tiny seed pearls with the OM pendant! Beautiful work.. keep it up!

Thank you, Sarah and Caitlin for your kind words :) Sarah, I actually wear the tiny seedpearls together with the other light necklace to yoga. I got fed up with black clothes and have started dressing for yoga a bit with Indian kameez (oversized pants), gold painted tops and the necklaces. Much more comfortable :D

I just added a bracelet to my collection (I can't figure out if I should list my pearls here or in the beading section as I make my own stuff so far). Anyway, here is a bracelet combining beads from my different necklaces. The red/dark beads are rubies. The center bead is a carved rose quartz, findings in brass. I have no idea where the lovely drop bead at the clasp came from :) I am very happy with the result and see how I can add to it with a couple of more simple bracelets with some nice FP as I like layering.

attachment.php

attachment.php

- Karin

Last edited:
But! If also posted in your profile-album, or Show Us Your Pearls, it's easier for us to find everything and enjoy it, over and over and over.

Last edited:
Thank you Pattye. The pearls look random but it took a long time to decide on the sequence. I love patterns that aren't quite symmetrical.

And Lisa, I found the instructions on how to post pictures so all of my pictures are also in my profile album. Did my homework :cool:

- Karin

Back