my experience with pearlparadise

M

mikehrz

Pearlparadise.com has offices in Santa Monica, California. As I am a southern California resident and was looking for a pearl set as a graduation present, I made an appointment and visited the office. (They take one customer per day by appointment only.)

I was greeted by Kirsten, a very polite and helpful lady. She had some pieces waiting that I had expressed interest in. she was very attentive, answered all my questions, and basically showed me whatever I wanted to see. I am not among the wealthier clients pearlparadise has, I’m sure, and frankly, I did not expect to receive as much attention and accommodation as I did. Even my father, who accompanied me along with my mother, expressed surprise at the degree of attention we received. Kirsten informed me that their inventory was a bit low at the time of my visit, but once I made clear exactly what I was looking for, she promised to set aside the unfinished strand I had chosen and look for similar pearls in the next shipment. Again, this personal attention far exceeded my expectations.

The pearls themselves, well, let me put it this way. I haven't been shopping around that long, but I have been to roughly a dozen or so local retail jewelry stores, and I have spent considerable time browsing the internet as well. The pearls I saw while at the Santa Monica office surpassed, in most cases by a substantial margin, every single piece I’ve seen in person. I have seen maybe one strand that was better than the ones I looked at at pearlparadise, and that was an extremely expensive piece that probably retailed for $2000+. The freshwater pearls I saw at pearlparadise easily surpassed the akoyas I’ve seen elsewhere in luster and (lack of) flaws. These fw's were also much rounder than any others I’ve seen. To be honest, I had anticipated a much larger difference between the fw's and the akoyas; although the akoyas were also extremely good, better than any others I've examined, I think this is a case of the fw's being nicer than they had any right to be! And this was the tail end of the inventory?!

The prices are beyond competitive. Honestly, it's hard for me to compare the prices at pearlparadise with those elsewhere, because their pearls are so much nicer than the ones I’ve seen. The pearlparadise website lists retail prices for their pieces. Before visiting, I was a little skeptical about these, mainly because bloated “retail” prices are very common online. Having seen the product in person, I can honestly say that, if pearls of equivalent quality could be found in the retail market, then the prices would probably be very close to what’s listed on the site.

I have been shopping for pearls for a few weeks now. As I told Kirsten, I need look no further.

Mike,

I am very glad to hear your appointment went well. I am sorry I was out of the office that day, but it sounds like Kirsten took very good care of you. She had a lot of great things to say about you as well.

having recieved my completed order, i can say that the pearls fully met my expectations. i am very happy with them. if i ever need to buy pearls again, i certainly know where i'm shopping first!

i do have a question, though, jsheperd: could i really take the appraisal that came with my order and have the pearls insured for that amount? would that appraisal be taken as a real measure of the pearls' value by an insurance company? though i'm sure that the pearls would sell for that price at full retail, it is a bit hard to believe that the appraisal as recieved would be taken seriously by a major insurance company, especially if they asked how much i paid for them.

I am glad the pearls arrived safely.
The appraisal is based on the retail average value of the pearls. This is deduced by determining the average wholesale price (US trade) provided to retailers, multiplied by three, adding for the 14k. The appraisal is simply used to show a resonable commercial retail value. If you would like an appraisal for insurance purposes at your purchase price we would be glad to provide it to you as well. As is the appraisal is fine for insurance purposes, however.

Back