My Design for a Man's Pearl Necklace

Hello Everyone,

Well, I'm new to pearl jewelry designing (I haven't quit my day-job! LOL!). Actually what got me started was I wanted to make some kind of jewelry that I could show off my birthstone. So this was the first piece I came up with. It's a take on the surfer puka shell necklace, but I put some black freshwater pearls on there with little black coral rondelles. I was trying to keep a tropical surfer look so that a guy could easily pull off wearing it.

What do you think? I wear mine alot and I've even sold one another of them on ebay (which is when I discovered how much of a rip off it is to sell there!)

SurferPearls.jpg

Surfer2.jpg

P.S. I'm not trying to advertise, I just really wanted some opinions on my unique men's necklace design, since it does seem to be a topic of conversation around here. (I'm actually an aerospace engineer by day. :) <--Nerd!) I do apologize to the mods if this was inappropriate.

Last edited:
Hi Peter,

At least I, for one, appreciate men in pearls. I like your design especially when worn with a muscle shirt and a good tan.

Zeide

I like it too.

I thought I'd only want a single philippino pearl on a leather cord, but I think I could stand the surfers necklace. :)

Definitely a surfer look. Neil Patrick Harris has an appointment to come in tomorrow morning. He is not shopping for himself (yet). But I am planning to try and sell him on the Tahitian on leather look.

ha, make sure neil pays cash - doogie hasn't worked in a while ;)

But i do like the necklace although i like the same design with something other then puka shells. Puka shells just got killed a few years back and no true "surfer" would wear them anymore.

I do really like the overall design but for me I'd need a different material then puka shell. Good work though, keep em coming.

As far as I know puka shells are readily available - I think he means that the look was usurped as a trend by non-surfers and therefore is now disdained by those who originated it. However there are two different types of puka shells - the mass produced shell chips that are commonly available, and the old-style puka shells which are the wave-worn, centrally perforated caps of the cone shell. The term puka is a Hawaiian word meaning hole or perforation.

boo- These happen to be the mass produced shell chips. I actually liked their uniformity. I have seen the real puka shells, but they are a little bigger and didn't reallly go with this necklace.

My original concept was to use heishi beads made from oyster shells (instead of the clam shell heishi or "puka" that I used). I thought it would be appropriate... but I couldn't seem to find any.

As far as Neil Patrick Harris goes, my favorite thing I ever saw him in was "Harold and Kumar go to White Castle." He played himself, but as a burnt-out former child star fictionalized version of himself. He was HILARIOUS! I heard he's into magic... as in he's actually a member of the Magic Castle in Hollywood.

Thanks for everone's input!

Last edited by a moderator:
CiullaJewelers said:
As far as Neil Patrick Harris goes, my favorite thing I ever saw him in was "Harold and Kumar go to White Castle." He played himself, but as a burnt-out former child star fictionalized version of himself. He was HILARIOUS! I heard he's into magic... as in he's actually a member of the Magic Castle in Hollywood.

I actually won a set of tickets to the Magic Castle in a charity auction. I have been meaning to get over there to see a show. I have heard it is pretty good - and as a private club it is difficult to get in to. I will bring that up with him tomorrow...

Hi Boo and Caitlin,

That is my understanding also. We used to find them on the beach all the time (along with "paper shells"), but not anymore. Then again, maybe we just don't spend enough time on the beach! But the ones seen in the stores are usually the mass produced type.

Perle

Hi Peter,
I thought your necklace was very nice, the combination made it more casual. But still very masculine. I was thinking it might be interesting with sections of heavy sterling chain? More oxidized than shiny silver, like maybe a wheat design. I am currently trying to design a necklace for my 6 1/2 yr old grandson around a piece of interesting beach wood he found in Mexico, and just received some brownish shell beads from an ebay store. Maybe I will slip a few black fw in there too.:D
Pattye

CiullaJewelers said:
Thanks Zeide!

Yes, I know, it screams Southern California! I can't help it... born and raised! LOL

It also screams anywhere you find surfers ther is a beach and tropical paradise! also it may catch on as a "Cool" look for some younger folks I can see say the later teens early-mid twentys crowd...

jshepherd said:
I actually won a set of tickets to the Magic Castle in a charity auction. I have been meaning to get over there to see a show. I have heard it is pretty good - and as a private club it is difficult to get in to. I will bring that up with him tomorrow...

You should definately check it out if you get a chance. Very cool. My favorite was the "close-up gallery." There are some very talented magicians there.

I'm still on puka shells... Thanks for the info.I like the look of your necklace and if the inner circle sufers don't care for it, there will be many others who will.

Actually the info about puka shells reminds me of when turquoise was popular, you started getting all this plastic dipped stuff that called itself turquoise ad that is still the bulk of what you can find commercially. As much as I love high quality turquoise, that plasticized stuff is off my list. I despise it.

I have a few puka shells from the 60's. I dare say that were authentic since I got them from a Hawaiian surfer friend, but I don't have enough for a bracelet or a necklace. I do occasionallly add a couple to a one of my multi shell and stone neclaces.

I think I see 2 of them -one on each side of the turquoise heishi. Those are from a necklace I made in about 1969 or 70. (edit: here is a full sized picture from the gallery on my non-commerical site (a vanity site?)

Attachments

• long coralcropped .JPG
    long coralcropped .JPG
    18.4 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:
Yep, those are definately real puka. If you ever go to hawaii, while you're sitting on the beach, just sift through the sand and you might find a couple. I used to do it with my brother and sister on vacation... we never seemed to find enough for a necklace, though. LOL

However, as I mentioned, I didn't use genuine puka shells. The ones on my necklace are clam shell heishi.

The necklace looks great, of course. Could see it easily on a young, adventurous lady as well ;) Thanks for posting!

I've always liked the idea of mixing pearls with other sea-things, like you do with the shell beads and black coral :)

jshepherd said:
Definitely a surfer look. Neil Patrick Harris has an appointment to come in tomorrow morning. He is not shopping for himself (yet). But I am planning to try and sell him on the Tahitian on leather look.
Have him try it on. That's what sold me.

mikehrz said:
Have him try it on. That's what sold me.

He did not try it on, but he saw mine and left with one of his own. He also took a South Sea necklace which he requested by asking (and I kid you not) "I want the most awesomest necklace you have for my mom".
He is really a class act, a completely nice and down to earth guy.

Back