Mixing Colors and Quality

You would really have to love your team to wear something so hideous. Gasp - it takes my breath away! ;)

Orange is painful for me..the exact orange of those pearls was my school uniform colour. Orange and brown....#scarredforlife

Spam pretending not to be spam, is very obviously spam.
I don't mind seeing links to all kinds of places during discussions to illustrate the good, the bad, and the ugly. But I take offense to people pretending to ask a question or pretending to debate a topic, when actually all they want is a link to their site. Inbound links from relevant places are *very* valuable to online businesses (even if there is some negative talk around it). It counts a lot in Google's optimisation algorithms. The algorithms don't see the negative chat, but do see the link from a respected pearl forum going to the site.
I think it would be quite nice to keep the link there for the example of hideous so-called pearls, but make it de-activated, so it isn't a direct clickable link, and therefore doesn't help promote their website to higher positions in Google etc.

As for the colour of orange... My son likes orange, it's his favourite colour - but he's three years old. :-D

Orange pearls? They instantly remind me of Easyjet. Cheap, bargain basement, discount garish orange pearls. No thanks!

Sorry it has taken me so long to get back to this post. Thank you for the replies.

First the first reply I just wanted to say that you are correct in that I have not been on this site long or done much online with reviews, but I have been dealing with jewelry for the past 20 years.

Also wanted to clear up the fact that people are saying "shrill." Not sure what it means, but from reading it seems like a new name for spammer. As I said, I was a very big skeptic at first of these pearls, but was pleasantly surprised when I saw them in person.

Sorry if anyone took this as me saying they were not cultured, as I stated I simply like when people change things up and thought that putting colors together for schools was a neat idea.

Yes, shill does mean spammer. We recognize that your review wasn't unbiased and that you have a connection to this company. Simply the fact that you have the word "pearls" in your email address shows that you have a connection to the pearl business.

This forum is a board of pearl experts, pearl lovers, pearl collectors ... pearl people. We know that the link you posted showed dyed, commercial quality goods that are available for a few dollars a strand at any gem show. They are not fine quality. Fine quality freshwater pearls are never dyed in garish colors. That is reserved for commercial quality goods.

That was a good idea to deactivate the link so I did.

This is a good lesson for us all. And why we don't do links except from people we know are buyers - or sellers recommending another seller.

With a name like caroline smith, it is not likely that ribbing you in this thread will affect you in the real world. Probably gave you a rush, though.

I said "shill", not "shrill". Shill is a carney word.
A shill is a person who publicly helps a person or organization without disclosing that he has a close relationship with that person or organization. Shill typically refers to someone who purposely gives onlookers the impression that he is an enthusiastic independent customer of a seller (or marketer of ideas) for whom he is secretly working. The person or group who hires the shill is using crowd psychology, to encourage other onlookers or audience members to purchase the goods or services (or accept the ideas being marketed). Shills are often employed by professional marketing campaigns
wikipedia

It goes on to say;
"Shill" can also be used pejoratively to describe a critic who appears either all-too-eager to heap glowing praise upon mediocre offerings, or who acts as an apologist for glaring flaws. In this sense, they would be an implicit "shill" for the industry at large, possibly because their income is tied to its prosperity. The origin of the term shill is uncertain; it may be an abbreviation of shillaber. The word originally denoted a carnival worker who pretended to be a member of the audience in an attempt to elicit interest in an attraction. Some sources trace the usage back to 1914

Orange is painful for me..the exact orange of those pearls was my school uniform colour. Orange and brown....#scarredforlife

Wow, whose idea of a nice colour scheme was that?

I was luckier - my boarding school was navy and white, and later, when I escaped and went to a day school, it was royal blue and white, with a bit of red trim. The boarding school uniform did include not only ties, but cloaks instead of coats, hats, and a special uniform for Sundays, too.

The worst part of ours was a sort of flannelette gym dress in bright orange, with matching knickers. (joys of an english girls' school)

Mine was dark green and yellow/gold, beige trousers or dark green shirt. Sports kit was light yellow and dark green. Horrible!!!

Not that I did much sport, I skived by exchanging sports with music lessons, and I did singing, organ and piano!

DK :D

The worst part of ours was a sort of flannelette gym dress in bright orange, with matching knickers. (joys of an english girls' school)

The redheads and gingers at the school must have been particularly chuffed (-:

This shows the school uniform where I was - hasn't changed, either.

Lime_Walk_1.JPG

Oh God, I just clicked on the pearl link...my eyes are burning...buurrrnnninggg! I find it hard to believe that he's going to sell a lot of those hideous things...but then I don't know how rabid the fans are...

And the school uniforms...that orange and brown appears everywhere! We've got at least one girls school here in town that uses it...awful colours... My boys had dark blue blazers and grey slacks and pale blue shirts..very civilized .. the girls had a choice of the same or the Blazer and a grey skirt with blue round neck jumper/sweater or for summer dark blue shorts or a light blue plaid cotton dress with long white socks. Overall..a good look..

DK - singing, organ, and piano = fab! Now that I sing in a choir and often have the organ or piano accompany us I appreciate you wanting to do that. I'm living your childhood life now. ;-)
I went to a hippy school that didn't have a uniform for anything but Games. Then it was green with yellow stripes down the side. Not very nice, but what could be worse than Wendy's orange flanalette dress??!!

Anything that got me out of gym class or sports session out in the cold, wet and windy weather was fab when I was at school! The great outdoor did not appeal to me then, as I went to school as a city girl, and the school was in the middle of frigging nowhere!

DK :D

C'mon you guys! FLORIDA, ORANGES, Orange groves? See the connection?

And fans pay lots of money for lots of dumb stuff. At least these are pearls (gurgles), not big fingers or whoopee cushions.

Amanda, are those girls Making a Break For It? They look too happy to be jogging, and not sweaty enough for PhysEd.

Lisa
You hit the nail on the head! They are better than some other things.

I do hope ALL the gators fans buy them, and they become very kitchy and we will see them in the news every time the gators win. We can barf all over again, but with a laugh.

Back