Mikimoto Pearl Strand

M

mikengay

I was at Bailey Banks and Biddle, yesterday, shopping for a strand of pearls for my daughter. The lady, who appeared very knowledgable about the Mikimoto brand of pearl, said that they have a traditional design of clasp. I have seen several 'Mikimoto' strands on the web and none of them have this particular clasp. I'm wondering about the validity of the 'clasp' statement. I couldn't find this mentioned on Mr. Mikimoto's website so I'm wondering if this was just smoke. Any info on this?
Thanks.

Hi Mike,

The lady was absolutely right. Mikimoto has a definite clasp code for all their standard lines. That means even if you completely destroy the pearls, their original design line, quality grade, and decade of production can still be concluded from the clasp alone. There is one proviso, though. Sooner or later depending on frequency of wear and klutziness of user, the clasp will break. If you do not want to spend the (exorbitant amount of) money to have it replaced with an original Mikimoto spare, you will render your pearls virtually unsellable. Only the very old Mikimotos (pre 1938) are actually collectible for the merit of the pearls alone. After 1938, Mikimoto pearls are pure brand collectibles and basically lose all their added value as soon as the clasp as an identifier is gone. So, basically, if you buy a Mikimoto today 90% of your purchase price go for a designer clasp, box, and papers.

Zeide

To add to Zeide's post that was right on point, Mikimoto has several different lines. The line that they have online is different than the line carried in most jewelry stores. They also have a line that they sell to Sam's. Each line of pearls has different grading standards and variations in clasps.

My husband's cousin got a Mikimoto pearl necklace for her birthday. It was 16 in.in length and the pearls looked to be at least 10mm. The luster wasn't that good,IMO. I thought the pearls were South Sea at first. That must have cost him a pretty penny.

Hi Karen,

If they really are 10mm and over, they are South Sea PPBs. If they are 9.5-10mm there is a chance that they may be akoyas, but even in A grade (blemished and dull), they would have cost over US$60,000.00 for Mikimoto brand.

Edit:

Oops, the over US$ 60,000.00 is for AA grade, a 9.5-10mm 16-inch strand in A grade cost only US$ 35,000.00

Zeide

Last edited by a moderator:
Zeide Erskine said:
Hi Karen,

If they really are 10mm and over, they are South Sea PPBs. If they are 9.5-10mm there is a chance that they may be akoyas, but even in A grade (blemished and dull), they would have cost over US$60,000.00 for Mikimoto brand.

Edit:

Oops, the over US$ 60,000.00 is for AA grade, a 9.5-10mm 16-inch strand in A grade cost only US$ 35,000.00

Zeide

Hi Zeide!

Hi Zeide! I got another look at them today . I also asked her and she said they were South Sea. That would explain the luster. They were white. I measured some shell pearls I have and after comparing, her's are about 15mm. They were not round. They were perfectly matched in shape. They were more of an elliptical shape ,top to bottom. They hung vertically,if that makes sense.

Her husband can afford to buy her anything.

Guess that's how Miki Co will stay in biz a while longer!) :rolleyes:
Pattye

The power of Branding

The power of Branding

Mikimoto is simply a powerful example of effective branding. When you hear "mikimoto" the consumer has been conditioned to associate that name with a superior products.

The burden is on each of us in the pearl business to develop a superior product. We then have the same opportunity as Mikimoto to brand our product and exstablish a track record of quality. It will take considerable time, but eventually each business has the opportunity to develop an effective brand that distinguishes themselves from the rest of the crowd, even if the products we are selling are essentially similar.

I battle with the consequences of effective branding in my own home each week when its time to go shopping with my wife. I try to get her to buy "Luvs" diaphers for the babies, instead of "Huggies Supreme". they are the same, except Huggies cost twice as much! Huggies has established a much better brand name than luvs, so our babies wear Huggies, no matter how much I protest :)

Brand names

Brand names

Hi National Pearl,

why don?t You try to get Your wife to "Try on" the luvs so she can compare?:p Tell her that You than will be able to get her a nice pearl necklace when money can be saved that easy!

When it comes to pearls, everyone knows that freshwater pearls are much cheaper even though they are the ones that will last forever compared to Akoyas with a very thin layer of nacre!

everyone knows that freshwater pearls are much cheaper even though they are the ones that will last forever compared to Akoyas with a very thin layer of nacre!

Hey a Volvo will last longer then a Ferrari too - But I'd sure look better in a Ferrari.

...the comparison makes me imagine a 10-year old ferrari with the paint peeling...

...although i wouldn't mind receiving brand new mikis for free...i still do not have akoyas in my collection.

...what i'd actually like to do is make a necklace that is half aaa akoyas and half aaa fw pearls that looks the same... give it as a gift on a condition she wears it often without the recepient knowing what they are.. and see what happens.:D

jerin said:
Hi National Pearl,

why don?t You try to get Your wife to "Try on" the luvs so she can compare?:p Tell her that You than will be able to get her a nice pearl necklace when money can be saved that easy!

Hehe... Don't think that would go over very well Jerin :)

As for Car/Pearl comparisons, with five small children, it will be quite a long time before I get to drive anything but the "potato pearl" equivalent: Mini-Van! :rolleyes:

Guidance before I replace the Mikimoto sterling clasp

Guidance before I replace the Mikimoto sterling clasp

I have inherited a 20" graduated strand of 3.5-7mm Mikimoto pearls. They need to be restrung, and the sterling clasp with a pearl on top was bent, so my local jewelry store sent them to Mikimoto in NY for a repair estimate. M. said that they can repair the clasp and restring them or replace the silver clasp with a 14k gold clasp and restring them for about $183. Of course they keep the sterling clasp. I don't have the certificiate or an estimate of the value of the pearls, but know they were purchased in Japan because of the box.
My questions are (1) Will replacing the clasp raise or lower the value of the pearls, and (2) Is it wise to get Mikimoto to appraise or certify the pearls since they currently have them? Are their appraisals inflated or reliable?

I'm no expert, but I do love and own a few older pieces of jewelry, and I think if they are vintage or antique then they will be worth more with the original clasp. Plus being a lover of old things I'd bet it's probably prettier and more unique.

In-herited MIKIMOTO pearl necklace-need appraisal info.

In-herited MIKIMOTO pearl necklace-need appraisal info.

Have an Original Mikimoto pearl necklace. It is 16" long with white gold clamp ("M"), pearl size from 8.0-8.5 mm. What I don't know, can't find is grading certificate, thus interested in having it appraised for later Sale.

It was an inheritance from my Grandmother, and based on pictures and family interviews we estimate be 30yrs. since purchased aprox.

It has original Embroidered "Silk" casing.

I live in Broward Cty.-FL and searching for appraisal and or info. re-sale value, options of same one.

Other pearl earings were also included, 18k yellow gold with Turquise stones and pearl in ctr.?

Any advice-recommendations as to re-sale info. appreciated.

Gabriel Emanuelli
gemanuelli@gmail.com

Mikimoto Clasp replacement

Mikimoto Clasp replacement

Just in case someone is thinking about what it might cost, I just sent a string of pearls from the 50's to Mikimoto in NY for certification, restringing, and to repair the damaged sterling clasp. They gave me a quote of about $140 to replace the clasp with 14k gold and to restring. Not sure if that covered the cost of the little "M". I chose to have the older clasp repaired and restrung for $57. They've arrived back at the jewelry store and ready for pick uptomorrow. Can't wait - they're for my daughter to wear on her wedding day in 2 weeks.

Wondering what everyone's opinion is on this necklace-
said to be Mikimoto, 28" in length with 5-5.5mm pearls, 14k white gold clasp and screw back earrings - original box. I'm not sure on the age of this necklace, but trying to find out.

Attachments

• Mikimoto-5-5.5mm-pearls.jpg
    Mikimoto-5-5.5mm-pearls.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 53
Lynn said:
... I don't have the certificate or an estimate of the value of the pearls, but know they were purchased in Japan because of the box.
My questions are (1) Will replacing the clasp raise or lower the value of the pearls, and (2) Is it wise to get Mikimoto to appraise or certify the pearls since they currently have them? Are their appraisals inflated or reliable?

I would think that having a new clasp by the original maker and papers will just reinforce the authenticity of the pearls. Which is important and useful because I believe that the brand value is what makes most of the value of the pearls and more significant then their vintage status. Also, the vintage quality is anyway obvious from the style of the necklace (i.e. graduation and pearl size).

Take my opinion with a grain of salt - I am not an expert. Just a shopper.

drea said:
Wondering what everyone's opinion is on this necklace-
said to be Mikimoto, 28" in length with 5-5.5mm pearls, 14k white gold clasp and screw back earrings - original box. I'm not sure on the age of this necklace, but trying to find out.
The strand is not graduated, my guess is that the necklace is recent (eighties or later).

The fairly small size of the pearls may mean something too.

Back