Mikimoto, or not? Please advise!

That is just the gimp or French wire-- a little piece of coiled wire that is strung on like a bead just before the clasp is attached. When the thread is pulled snugly, the coils overlap to protect the thread where it connects to the clasp.

It isn't karat gold so it tarnishes over time, but when the pearls are restrung, it is simply replaced. Here is a photo of what gimp looks like stretched out and when it's pulled tight:

attachment.php

attachment.php

Was there any documentation with the pearls to prove they are Mikimoto? The pearls look beautiful but I am not an expert on Mikimoto and I know imitation Miki clasps exist.

My mother has a double strand of Mikimoto pearls that she has a custom clasp attached to, so she gave me one of the Mikmoto clasps and I strung it on one of my own strands of NOT Mikimoto pearls. If I ever sell them, I'll restring them with a non-Miki clasp so no one is deceived.

However, this is what my real Miki clasp looks like.

IMG_1711.jpg

IMG_1712.jpg

IMG_1704.jpg

IMG_1708.jpg

My pearls do not show the flaws from normal viewing distance, but you can see them up close.

Unless your seller has the Mikimoto documentation (each strand is numbered) there's no way to know if you have a real strand, or a real clasp with another strand (like mine), or total fakes. Gimp (French wire) does tarnish.

I'm concerned that the seller was very flippant about keeping the documentation on what should be a very expensive strand of pearls:

gandkbensonThese are gorgeous! Do you have a box or papers, or receipt?

sweetdream2001@gandkbenson no I never keep those things. Feel free to have it checked out.

She should at least keep the Mikimoto number documentation so she can prove they really are Mikis.

Last edited:
Ah, good catch on the message exchange, BWeaves.

The clasps are close but not identical. The shape of the curves of the tongue your clasp is more defined, BWeaves. The color is a richer gold as one would expect for 18K; the OPs looks a bit brassy to me even if one corrects the photo for a whiter background color. On the back the OP's clasp has a circle below the 750.
And somehow the clasp seems too worn for the condition of the pearls.

As I said I know nothing about Mikimoto but that is enough to give me pause.

OP, what is their return policy?

It also seems a bit too good a deal.

Last edited:
I'm concerned that the seller was very flippant about keeping the documentation on what should be a very expensive strand of pearls:

gandkbensonThese are gorgeous! Do you have a box or papers, or receipt?

sweetdream2001@gandkbenson no I never keep those things. Feel free to have it checked out.

She should at least keep the Mikimoto number documentation so she can prove they really are Mikis.

Honestly, this doesn't phase me. The site is for people to sell the clothes they don't want any more, not for professional sellers. I know a lot of people who don't keep documentation, specially on purchases they don't think of reselling. Not everyone is a jewelry enthusiast.

Honestly, this doesn't phase me. The site is for people to sell the clothes they don't want any more, not for professional sellers. I know a lot of people who don't keep documentation, specially on purchases they don't think of reselling. Not everyone is a jewelry enthusiast.

It wouldn't phase me for normal jewelry, even very good jewelry, but if I had something from Cartier, or Harry Winston, or Mikimoto, I'm keeping the documentation. I realize not everyone is like that.

However, the dot or circle under the 750 on the seller's clasp looked weird to me, too.

Maybe it's the photography, but I'm not seeing any overtones on the seller's pearls, either, compared to my crappy photography which shows a lot of overtones.

I could be very wrong, and the seller's strand could be a great deal.

Last edited:
That is true, one doesn't see overtones. Lots of shine but not overtones.

The lack of paperwork definitely fazes me. But I'm a paper hoarder. Gotta have my records in order :rolleyes:.

Also, I'm not sure when Mikimoto started adding the "M" dangle on one of the knots near the clasp, but this seller's strand is missing that "M" dangle.

An 18" 7 - 7.5 mm Mikimoto necklace of the LOWEST Miki quality would be $3750 brand new.
The same necklace in their highest quality would be almost $10,000.

Here's a link to the equivalent necklace on the Mikimoto website:

http://www.mikimotoamerica.com/categories/strands/akoya/18-strand-necklace-yellow-gold-clasp

If the seller's necklace is the real deal, it's a steal, but I just don't know.

That same Mikimoto clasp is listed on eBay. Lots of people sell things to be rid of them, at bargain prices, so I'm going to guess that the OP got a great deal.

Agreed. They are a great deal!

If they were mine, I'd get them restrung. That way the knots will be nice and clean, and the gimp will be new and shiny.

Thank you all so much for your input! I'm hoping these are the real deal, and if there's a Mikimoto expert out there who cares to weigh in, please do! If an item has been misrepresented, Poshmark is good about returns. Their "luxury concierge" department will receive these first, inspect them, then send to me. I'm just not sure how much they know about Mikimoto. Another seller recommended I send them into Mikimoto America and have them certified and restrung. $65 for this, and I think it's worth it. Here's to hoping! Thanks again for the input.

Mikimoto is the final word on their own strands. I think your strand looks good enough to run it by them. There is no better way to find out.

That's a really good idea, and I hope for the best! :)

Please come back later to tell us what they said about the strand.

Another seller recommended I send them into Mikimoto America and have them certified and restrung. $65 for this, and I think it's worth it. Here's to hoping! Thanks again for the input.

THAT is an excellent idea!!!! Let us know what happens, please. I'm interested.

Ennui, I can't find the listing you're referring to. Can you help? I can't believe there's not a catalogue of some sorts out there with all the marks/clasps/etc that Miki has done. Or if there is, I can't find it!

An update: I sent the listing pictures to one of the managers at the Las Vegas boutique, and he said by all appearances it appears to be genuine. I'm going to send it in after I receive it though, and get it appraised and re-strong. I'm tickled!

If it is an older necklace, it won't have the dangling M, which was added a few years ago (at least ten, I think). Mom has a Miki with the dangling M and although I have pictures, I don't have any of the back of the clasp. When she bought hers, it came in a nice box with a very nice pearl folder. I don't have pictures of that, but you can see part of it on the left of this picture. The necklace and bracelet on the right are also Mikis, but one of their lower brands (Sea Magic?). And I think I used a flash so you can't see the pink tones.

Attachments

• 2 mikis.jpg
    2 mikis.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 43
gandkbenson: That's very encouraging! Please keep us posted. If it is genuine, you got a fantastic find!

Well, they came today. Poshmark thinks they're real, and so does my local jeweler. To be honest, they're not as pretty as I thought they would be. I can see when looking very close quite a few imperfections, which surprised me. Maybe my expectations were too high? I also think they are smaller than she represented, though they're not a bad size. I am going to send them in and see what Mikimoto says. I'm afraid I have buyer's remorse. if I could figure out how to load pictures for you guys, I would!

Virtually all (if not all) strands will have some imperfections, gandkbenson. Also, like all pearl vendors, Mikimoto offers differing grades of pearls.

Give them a chance, wear them under different lighting conditions. I find that white pearls don't generally look their best in bright daylight.

Here are instructions for uploading photos from your computer (I don't have a smartphone so can't describe how to upload from one):

1. Click on Go Advanced, then Manage Attachments. This opens a small window, the File Upload Manager.
2. Click the green + button to "Add files".
3. Click "Choose File". This opens a large window to your computer files. Find the photo file you want to upload.
4. Highlight the one you selected and Choose it. The large window will go away.
5. On the small File Upload Manager window you should now see the name of the file you have chosen. Click "Upload".
6. Next to Manage Attachments you should now see the name of the photo you have uploaded.
7. If you have more photos to upload, repeat the process-- click "Choose File" on the small File Upload Manager window, etc.
8. When you are done uploading, click Preview Post to see your post, or just Submit.
9. If you want to add more photos or remove photos later, return to Manage Attachments.

Last edited:
Back