Mangareva Beauties

Amazing pearls! Absolutely drool-worthy. Thanks so much for sharing these with us!

It's a really enchanting pearl type. I call it very high quality 'Deep Peacock.' Maybe other pearly people here have some other ideas on what to call this very strong purple-green coloration?

I'll show you a picture of this pearl's 'younger cousin' here on the Tahitian PG forum soon. A bit lighter version in color, but still very peacock/green with the pinks, the greens, and even blues. Stay tuned!

Last edited:
Bailey, Kath - if you get one...oh, what am I saying? I know you'll share with us!

They are incredible!
I have to confess that I didn't quite like Tahitian pearls at first, but now that I have seen the variety of Tahitian pearls that are available I've fallen madly in love with them :)

Hello, I have been told that Gambiers are the remote places in the Tahiti places where pearls are cultivated consequently, the havest happens less often consequently the nacre is thicker and pearls said to be the most beautiful in the Tahiti pearls category,
is that true ?

Hello, I have been told that Gambiers are the remote places in the Tahiti places where pearls are cultivated consequently, the havest happens less often consequently the nacre is thicker and pearls said to be the most beautiful in the Tahiti pearls category,
is that true ?

That makes me curious. Is it possible to guess the origin of a Tahiti pearl based on appearance/color?

Hello Cliclasp, the Gambiers are certainly remote and further away from say, the Tuamotus, where Tahitian pearls are also cultured. They are a more isolated archipelago of islands, a relatively long plane ride away (4.5 hours from Tahiti, with a stop), further South, by the Tropic of Capricorn.
Some say that the luster profiles of these Mangareva grown pearls is higher due to the cooler temperatures of the water the oysters live in, especially during the Southern Hemisphere winter. A recent study by IFREMER, the French oceanographic institute, concluded that the ocean temperatures dropped enough during their winter to cause a metabolic slowdown of the oyster. This affects nacre deposition rates, and could be why the luster seems sharper in these pearls from the Gambiers.
In terms of the color, many think that pearls from Mangareva have some of the more interesting color profiles found in Tahitian pearls today. But that is not to say that producers in the Tuamotus, for example, cannot produce pearls with stronger, brighter, interesting coloration.
I think it comes down more to the skill of the individual producers, the quality of their grafts, their mantle selection, those kinds of things, as there are some farmers who noticeably, year after year, produce more color, and others who, even though they have farms in a great location in the lagoon around Mangareva, produce less interesting colors.
The thickness of the nacre is more a reflection of the amount of time the pearl is left in the ocean to grow. One could certainly grow thin nacre pearls in the Gambiers, that could not be legally exported from French Polynesia ( less than 0.8mm in thickness), by leaving them in the water say, for only 6 months.

Icyjade, I think you are correct in concluding that perhaps some of these unique colors, like the deep peacocks above, are signature pearls from Managareva. I haven't been able to find another similar looking pearl from anywhere else, but that is not to say they do not exist.

Last edited:
I will post another thread with a picture of a group of very brightly colored pearls, stronger colored than anything else I have ever seen! They look kind of unnatural they are so bright. They are grown in the Tuamotus, the atoll group North of Tahiti, and the producer promises me that they are naturally colored. I believe him. But another part of me is simply not sure, I have never seen anything like it.

Last edited:
Thank you Jacques, that's exactly what I wanted to understand.
That's also very interesting, when you say :
"it comes down more to the skill of the individual producers, the quality of their grafters, their mantle selection,"
Since the color comes from the mantle and not from the mollusk receiver, I was wondering if someone tryed once to graft a mantle and receiver from 2 different species, i.e. mantle from a Tahiti pearl into another oyster type ( just wondering what would happen ...)

Back