Lavender Freshadamas - Which strand would you choose and why?

Looking at your skintone I'm guessing the third strand from the top will look very good. It's kinda bronzy golden. The first strand would be too cool for you, the second strand will be in between as it's bronzy but has more blue overtones (dusky, should I say), while pink probably wouldn't go very well. But you know me ... it's always going to be pink for me. If only I could squeeze out enough cash for that one.

Thanks everyone - and thank goodness I'm not so dumb after all.
The necklace is now going to be about 40 inches as I can't bear to leave any pearls out....:)

Spaceneedle, your boys are delightful.
I want to say "beautiful" but I guess they'd hate that.

Looking forward to a pic. when you have the strands....

Dear Space Needle:
Lovely picture of you with your boys! Sounds like you are having fun looking at pearls. I know you will not be disappointed.
Of my experience with PP Freshadama: The outer strand is a mauve-lavendar as we all see. It is lovely and although technically considered lavendar, for my eye, the truest pink we often see. I love this color.

The problem for me with putting different colors too close together is that they reflect off each other and it makes it difficult to detect some of the details of each individual pearls color specifics. I'd guess I'm one of the few who likes both color specific strands and mixed.

The second strand will look very goldy over the lavendar which would be my personal second choice of color. These have a high shine and a very rich look when removed from the other strands. They are very warm. I think this color looks best with yellow gold.

The third strand is the darkest purple and will have a lot of silver and some blue and some copper. I already have this strand and it is my first choice. There was a picture of a bracelet made with silvery lavandar pearls here recently and those pearls could come from this strand. These also have a very high shine due to the silver overtones but they tend to be cooler. Looks best with silver or WG.

The fourth strand is a little lighter than the third and will have more of a mix I think. It is lovely.

I can't wait to hear what you decide.
Have you asked the boys what they think?

barbie

PS. Speaking of choice by color....

The second strand (counting inward) does it for me - it seems to have a surreal mix of cold and warm copper tones...

I tend to agree with Valeria101. The second strand in has a unique blend of lavender and copper. It is a color often seen in multicolor strands, but not typically in solid-color strands. It was my favorite when I selected it.

As for the reflection, there is a slight reflection of colors on the pearls. But the photo has a sort of intentional "matte" finish and is not sharpened. In other words, the pearls pop a lot more in person.

Hi Spaceneedle - tough decision,hey?

The four strands look almost identical to four beautiful strands I bought in Hong Kong. Mine are 8 - 8.5mm, and the colour variations between the strands is similar to that in your photo. Sueki, I have been playing with these pearls since I got home - I am seriously thinking about doing 2 38 inch strands and trying to vary the colour... Should I try to graduate the colours do you think? Or be a little more random? They are just gorgeous pearls.

Spaceneedle - thanks for the photo. I think your boys are indeed beautiful.

SpaceNeedle, what a lovely photo of you and your boys! ;)I agree with Raisondetre that the third strand from the top would look good judging from your skintone in the photo and the pearls in the photo. Of course, they might look different in real life - and that is why it is a good idea to try and get them all to you on loan and try them against you skin.....

Sueki, I actually agree with the mixing of all types of lavender hues - that makes such a fascinating necklace.. When you finish your lavender 40" necklace, can we see a picture please?:)

I am always trying to match size rather than anything else and as for colour matching you need a lot of pearls to choose from which I normally do not have - besides a strand is much more lively if there is some little difference colourwise. Reg skintone I think one can compensate with the help of a good colour of blouse or top or dress, I have never seen women with pearls where I was struck by the thought that she looked ghastly because of her pearls?colour....:cool:

Jerin, you have never seen me try to wear silver grey south seas. I truly look like I should be in hospital somewhere!! I love them to look at, but I just can't wear them AT ALL!!

I would choose the third strand if you count from the inside of the "pearl-circle" because the copper in them appeal to me. I?d like the blueish strand next to it a lot too but if you look at the other side of the strand, furthest away, it looks like they turn less blue.

As for colour matching, I don?t mind different overtones, as long as they are all just as nice. Like in a tahitian strand for example, you tend to see pearls in all strands that are grayish and that don?t appeal to me a great deal so it put me off a bit. I?d prefer a strand with overtones and colours that are all just as nice, or else the ones I don?t like would feel out of place. They don?t have to match at all, I just want them all to appeal to me a lot. I think this is very subjective, though. I know there is people that love silver tahitians.

I don?t really care about size matching at all, as long as the pearls are graduating and the difference isn?t too big, like a 5 mm pearls next to a 10 mm. However, this wont ever happen. I want the sides of the necklace to look the same when wearing it though, if you have the biggest pearl/s in the middle. Maybe this was what Jerin meant.

The thing I think is most important when matching is to match the luster and blemishes. I like it when all pearls are just as shiny and when they have about the same amount of blemishes.

Nerida,
Sorry for the delay, I've been away for the weekend.
So far, I've not graduated them by colour as I've graduated the sizes so the necklace is random mixed shades of lavender.
Although there's only a slight size difference, I still like to have a smooth graduation in size from centre front to back.
And Jerin's right, of course - I'd need a great many more strands to be able to either graduate the shades or, indeed, to colour match the pearls.

"I'd need a great many more strands" Hmm, now there's a thought.....:D

Sueki, I have 4 strands in each of 3 sizes. The nicest are the smallest. I'll try to post some pictures... how come all I can think is that I should have bought more?

Hi Spaceneedle,

What a fun "problem" you present! I hope you will be able to pick from all four strands in person. It is very fascinating to me that so many of us like a little variation in color within the strand! Baroque pearls are my favorite, because one gets both, the variation in shape and in color too!

I feel a strand with the slight variations catches ones attention and holds it for longer than one with absolute sameness, perfect color matching, etc.

BTW, caught a quick glimpse of your handsome boys! Charmers too, I am sure!

Sueki, Hope to see your finished necklace soon! Sounds gorgeous!

Nerida,
"how come all I can think is that I should have bought more?"

Yes, I know the feeling only too well......;)

Amrita and Pattye,
Pics. will follow.
I'm not quite finished stringing it and will try to do so later today and will then take photos. as soon as I can.

Picking one only one strand?? How cruel can one be?? Hmmm... Let me think.....Did you match the sizes on the strands yourself? Great Job.

It may be my monitor I am having trouble seeing lots of Lavender colorings I see purple grays and some pink-ish colors. they are all very pretty though.

I am also having the trouble that I can see each strand in a multitude possibilities.. since "If it were my choice" I can wear every shade you have there... Okay basiclaly I am no help Sorry...

Yes you probably shoul dhave bought more... Pearls you can't buy just one... LOL..

cheers

Ash

Hi Spaceneedle - tough decision,hey?

Mine are 8 - 8.5mm, and the colour variations between the strands is similar to that in your photo.

So, am I a Philistine?
I'm currently stringing a 38 inch rope of lavenders and have deliberately picked pearls that are not matched colourwise.

Sueki/Nerida - I would appreciate if you could share a few (or more :) photos of your lavender strands. Maybe photos with you wearing them?

Pattye, Sueki - Thank you for your kind words about my boys. Yes, they are my precious.

Barbie - I asked them and they asked me back how many more pearls do I need? :eek:

Last edited:
Back