Las Vegas Gem Show Review

Caitlin

Here is a link to a good review of the Las Vegas gem show June 2005.

http://www.diamonds.net/news/newsitem.asp?num=12634&type=all&topic=all

This is a good description of gem shows in general, including the one here in Tucson, which is even bigger than the LV show. The overall size and unmanageability of these shows is increased by the practice of bigger sellers having at least 2-3 booths in different sub-shows.

Even though gem shows are billed as wholesale only, they often have many exhibitors in peripheral sub-shows, who are open to the public. I strongly recommend that, pro or not, arts and crafters, costumers and re-enactors, attend at least the public parts of shows like this for the good prices and large variety. One good seller example of how multiple booths works out is Jim Peach of The American Pearl Company. He had his fancy booth with the glass shelves in the GLDA show, which had strict entrance requirements, AND he had a much bigger booth in one of the motel rooms along the I-10 Frontage Road where the public had free access. Instead of glass cases, he had the little boxes all piled up on tables and barrels full of shells.

These shows have every kind of pearl at every price, unfinished and finished strands and jewelry. so look around and take your pick. Some pearls have had multiple middle men by the time they get to these shows and a few have a minimum of middle men. The pearls at the GLDA and the AGTA shows were the highest quality and extremely high priced, double and triple the average prices of several of the members of this forum for finished jewelry. $90 was an average price for an unfinished 16" strand of AA fw size 7+mm.

For the best prices, I saw one seller at the G&LW show, Roy Chen of Evergreen Trading , who had AA+ in the7+mm for $28. His booth was the largest I saw at the show, it took up the width of a huge building- maybe 6 tables deep by 16 tables wide- piled high. And I didn’t even see his second booth in the JGX show. He had a huge variety of fw pearls, in every shape, color, size (except under 4mm)and quality, cheapest prices were around the edges where I picked up some potato pearls 3-4mm for $1 a strand-$6 for 10. Most expensive pearls were near the center. I got the best luster on 5-6mm AA I have seen anywhere.

Evergreen’s coin pearls had beautiful skins and went for $8- in black, white and natural. I haven’t seen that price matched anywhere else. $39-$90 was standard when my sister-in-law and I scoured Chinatown this spring. $39 is also standard in bead stores real and online. My daughter picked out several colored strands in about a 4mm, gold, silver, peach @$6 and encouraged me to buy a hank of the black12+mm with the rough skins for $10 each. Oh yes, the button pearls were so well matched and such high luster, we bagged some of them as well- also $6-8 per. In short, we kept adding to the pile and today, I am sorry I didn’t spend double because they only better prices seem to be in China itself.

Last edited:
Caitlin Williams said:

Evergreen’s coin pearls had beautiful skins and went for $8- in black, white and natural. I haven’t seen that price matched anywhere else. $39-$90 was standard when my sister-in-law and I scoured Chinatown this spring. $39 is also standard in bead stores real and online... I am sorry I didn’t spend double because they only better prices seem to be in China itself.

I don't know what quality or size you're talking about at $8, ("beautiful skins" can mean different things to different people) but that price seems extremely low.

Its possible that Evergreen was using these pearls as a loss leader.

Bill

Maybe it was a loss leader, though my sis in law got a refill in August. He will be at the G&LW mini show at the Rodeway and Holidome next month.

I intend to check them out again now that I have some international buying experience uder my belt and 6 months more education. I do know that the 12+mm black strands at $10 (they had incredible luster and iridescence, but chips and cracks in skins of about 30%) were a tag end. They are gone.

I also intend to visit Pearl Concepts again- I got some very tiny fw pearls from them 2mm and less! whites and natural peach.

If you come to the show, I hope you will share your opinions of some of the dealers on this forum and compare the prices with HK and China.

I hadn't planned on any shows until the big one. What is the url for the show you're talking about and I'll see if we can go?

Chips and cracks will greatly reduce the price so I don't buy any with chips. I do have some brown ones with chips that were sent to me and I forgot to take them back when I went to China this month.

All of my coin pearls are not here yet, but I have a lot of high quality ones coming. Take a look at them as I get them on the web site within the next few weeks. If any tweak your interest, send me an email and I'll work out a price for you.

Bill

What do you mean by "brown" pearls? I have some that look kinda like expresso in color with less luster and chips in less than 10%. Does this sound like yours? Were they sent to you unsolicited? Mine were. Many of the threads were broken and the company declined to take the ones with broken strings back.

I think I am struck with them, about 24 strands- 1.7k. Their one advantage is that they are 10mm+. I am thinking of trying to sell them for $15 a strand. Would you have a suggestion on pricing? I can string them- probably with a faceted black iridescent glass bead between each pearl and a toggle clasp very quick and cheap to do), or sell the strands as is --maybe on ebay!

Expresso pearls, ugh! I thought I could pitch to Goth types (pearls of hard knocks, and scars, etc!), but my youngest says they aren't black enough. sigh.

Last edited:
I can't describe the color. Next week I hope to be caught up enough to start photographing describing and listing all my new pearls, and I'll put them on so you can see the photo.

I ordered these along with some other colors to sample the quality.

If yours came unsolicited then you don't have to pay for them, nor send them back unless the sender is willing to pay the shipping.

Its difficult to say what you can sell those coin pearls for. One way is to make unique earrings, and you'll net more per strand, if they sell. The other way is to make unique necklaces like you mentioned.

You could use them as specials for someone buying another necklace. Throw whatever you've made in for a minimum cost, or for free.

However, as for selling them outright, try to determine their retail value and sell them for close to that amount. By searching the internet you'll find some similar pearls to compare

Please send me the details on that jewelry show.

Thanks,

Bill

Back