Lake Biwa Pearls

The Akoya earrings and the baroque bracelet. They are both sold out. I'm not a fan of the fancy darker dyed pearls. I have a rope length very nice lavender CFWP necklace that I got about 15 years ago. While I was learning my first steps of weilding a blow torch, I worked for a high end jeweler. I worked a couple of back to back 60 hour weeks and he gave me three pearl necklaces that on his invoices were over $600 I look at the price of the same necklaces today, and I'm very pleased.

Aggie.P said:
The Akoya earrings and the baroque bracelet. They are both sold out. I'm not a fan of the fancy darker dyed pearls. I have a rope length very nice lavender CFWP necklace that I got about 15 years ago. While I was learning my first steps of weilding a blow torch, I worked for a high end jeweler. I worked a couple of back to back 60 hour weeks and he gave me three pearl necklaces that on his invoices were over $600 I look at the price of the same necklaces today, and I'm very pleased.

Hi Aggie,

Oh my goodness, a couple of back-to-back 60 hour work weeks?? That is an insane amount of plying and soldering.:D. Gotta make a living, I guess---and metalsmithing is not the most glamourous of jobs...

Any chance you can post pics of the necklaces? I'm curious to see what kind of CFWPs a high end jeweller was selling for 600 bucks fifteen years ago. Are any of them round? What sizes? Is the lavender strand natural colour?

Slraep

Invoice for all three were over $600, not individually. First I have to get reaquainted with my blasted digigizmo. I have a hate hate relationship with it.

Aggie.P said:
Hi Aggie,

Invoice for all three were over $600, not individually. First I have to get reaquainted with my blasted digigizmo. I have a hate hate relationship with it.

Yes, I understand it was for the three. It would be fun to see pics of them. It just interests me that a high end jeweller would carry a natural lavender coloured strand, fifteen years ago.

Slraep

Hello!

I'm reviving this thread (with Caitlin's permission, thanks Caitlin!) in hopes I'll find someone who will give some Biwa pearls a home.

I bought 2 of the silvery/lavender/gray strands of Biwa pearls from the Pearl Outlet last year with the intention of giving them as gifts. I've now decided on something else, so they are up for grabs. They are unworn, still have their wee tags on, still have the certificates and are in their boxes. They are at my dad's in the US but I'll be there in 2 weeks so I'd be able to ship them upon my arrival. I'll sell them for the original price of $95 each, including shipping.

Anyone interested, drop me a message! Thanks :)

Becky

Well both strands are now with a wonderful lady, Newberry! She is delightful! We were able to meet yesterday for the 'hand-off' and she is as nice as can be, as well as wearing beautiful baroque Tahitians! We had a nice chat as she tried on the strands with a pendant and they looked lovely on her. SO happy, the strands have gone to the perfect home! Thanks again Cynde :)

What are the chances that someone who lives in Scotland and selling her pearls is on holiday in my town in Southern California just 20 minutes from me? Coincidence I don't think so, sometimes things are just ment to be. I am the new proud owner of WeeGem's beautiful Lake Biwa pearls. It was fun meeting you Becky and thank you so much for an enjoyable morning.

Newberry, no surprise that the pearls came to you -- you're a pearl magnet! Congratulations. ;)

GemGeek I think we are neighbors of a sort too. I'll show you mine if you show me yours. ;) Pearls of course.

Last edited:
Newberry -- just reading this thread years later. Do you have neck shots of the biwas you bought from WeeGem in 2009?!

I bought 2 of these strands but to my eyes they were silvery gray, not lavender as advertised. No fault here; I realize that different people sometimes mentally catagorize colors differently. (The house we rented when we were first married looks pale blue to me, but my husband says it looks gray to him; his old Mazda looked brown to me but he always said it was gray. Who is right? We both are.)

The color did not work for me, since my hair is mostly silvery gray at this point, so I sold them to another P-Ger who liked the color. I won't mention her name but she can speak up if she likes.

This is a photo of them with the pendant I sold them with:

Attachments

• Biwa from TPO-- 2 strands with mabe pendant.jpg
    Biwa from TPO-- 2 strands with mabe pendant.jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 36
I thought about buying one, but the pearls were a bit dainty for me, so I passed. I have to say that they looked wonderful on you, even if they weren't your shade. :)

Newberry -- just reading this thread years later. Do you have neck shots of the biwas you bought from WeeGem in 2009?!

LOL this is so funny that after three years I'm just now seeing you ask for pictures. I'll see if I can get son taken this week. Sorry for the long wait.

Back