Lagoon Island Pearl Farm

They look similar to the south of my country, very similar.

I know what you mean Tango. I've been there....... so beautiful........sigh.........

Hi Lagoon,

my wife is from BC, such a beatiful area, the ferry trip to Victoria Island is great.

Here I post a couple of pictures of kayak trip to the south of Chile, you can see how similar they are.

thump_4442598img1470.jpg

thump_4442584img1452.jpg

It's not everyday we get to put something back into the ocean. This morning, we released 25,000 Chinook salmon into the Cypre River system. For more than twenty years, the Tofino Salmon Enhancement Society has been stocking local streams.

Attachments

• salmon_enhancement01.jpg
    salmon_enhancement01.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 49
  • salmon_enhancement02.jpg
    salmon_enhancement02.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 53
  • salmon_enhancement04.jpg
    salmon_enhancement04.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 48
  • salmon_enhancement05.jpg
    salmon_enhancement05.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 41
Nice photos and thanks for posting... but... what kind of creature will you use to grow pearls with???? Abalone??? It's too cold up there for the more tropical pearl oysters...

Nice photos and thanks for posting... but... what kind of creature will you use to grow pearls with???? Abalone??? It's too cold up there for the more tropical pearl oysters...

The bulk of my historical research is in mussels (Mytilus c.), however I am looking at a couple of other species for recruitment, growth rate and life span.

A gentleman by the name of Peter Fankboner worked with Northern Abalone years ago. While he had some successes, he lacked viability, presumably because of the labor intensity of daily kelp harvesting/feeding.

Yes, the water is colder than southern seas, but most of the characteristics of shellfish anatomy remain the same. One advantage cold water has over tropical, is the amount of food suspended within the water column. Up here we enjoy a plankton rich environment, which sometimes can become unruly due to environmental stresses, particularily if one or more predators are absent, causing mass proliferation of dynaflagellates and such... hence red tides, etc. Red tides don't affect the bivalves themselves, only humans or animals that ingest them. Colder water also inhibits or even eliminates disease. There are no known diseases of shellfish up here, but they do have parasites.

My site in particular, is a bit an anomoly when compared to other regions of the Pacific Northwest, because of shallower water, southern exposure and nutrient rich water carried by strong tides which range up to thirteen feet every 6 hours.

Construction began this week on the "lab float". This is a 16x32" galvanized steel array and plasticized foam billets, which will have a covered shed, grafting table and relay area. This float will also double as a place to tie up vessels, store equipment/materials and barbeque food. It's to be anchored in the bay directly north of the lagoon, for easy access. I'll post a few pictures once the deck is layed.

Last edited:
At the risk of running too far off-topic, I'd thought I'd mention a few things I've been doing in the meanwhile.

Last week, I had the pleasure of landing a role as a "birder" in the up and coming feature film "The Big Year" starring Steve Martin, Owen Wilson, Jack Black and Angelica Houston. We spent a lot of time in close quarters aboard the 100 foot picture boat and appeared in most of the shots. It's about high level bird watchers, who travel around the globe to spot as many birds as possible in one year.

Needless to say, a funny cast makes for some funny times. So much were the cast enjoying us and the area, they would often decline using their stand-ins during angle changes and reloads, to continue to chat with us about local things.

We were strictly prohibited from taking personal photos, for obvious reasons, but on the last day of shooting, the producers overlooked snapping a few pictures of the crew, doubles and extras.

These shots are aboard the "Auklet" which is a representation of a birding vessel which runs out of Coos Bay, Oregon. Angelica Houston being the captain. Natasha is her double. Likewise, stand-ins for the others were also onboard.

It was a lot of fun!

They are currently shooting in the Squamish area at the moment and the film is expected to be released some time in early 2011.

Attachments

• Image1.jpg
    Image1.jpg
    16.6 KB · Views: 47
  • Image2.jpg
    Image2.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 44
  • Image3.jpg
    Image3.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 46
  • Image4.jpg
    Image4.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 45
  • Image5.jpg
    Image5.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 45
  • Image6.jpg
    Image6.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 39
Stop in to see me in Victoria on your way by. I'll put the kettle on...:)

The lab float is operational despite ongoing construction. It's rustic, it's summer. It's built on hexagonal galvanized steel decks, armored foam billets and BC fir decks. Like sectional furniture, these can be rearranged easily and joined by bridge sections for easy expansion.

Much of the floating system parts are salvaged from the beach after storms, aquired from fish farms or otherwise abandoned. Only just the last few days, I've came across some other "suspension" floats, likely for the cost of towing them away.

Attachments

• Image1.jpg
    Image1.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 42
Wow- the facilities look like they are definitely coming together! I missed your previous posts but have most enjoyed catching up- the photos (and the amazing seafood) remind me of Ketchikan, AK the most. I vote for more scenic photos! I'm K-townsick ;)

Coming along nicely, thanks for the update, Dave. Hope you are getting the bicycling weather like we've been having the last few days!

Oh Yes!!!

Really warm and sunny after what was quite a prolonged wet and cold spring. Tofino is a small town spread out over a broad area, so the bike is perfect for getting round. We also on occasion, put the bikes in the speed boat and head up the inlets to the logging roads and ride to the fishing spots along the local rivers.

Here are a few more pics of the immediate area surrounding the farm.

These were taken near the "Big Tree Trail" on Meares Island (which almost surrounds Lagoon Island). You can see strong tidal swept channels, long fjords and extensive tidal flats.

Attachments

• Picture 154.jpg
    Picture 154.jpg
    11.2 KB · Views: 45
  • Picture 163.jpg
    Picture 163.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 43
  • Picture 165.jpg
    Picture 165.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 43
  • Dscf4608.jpg
    Dscf4608.jpg