Just a Pearl..

Shikra

Hello,

I have found some ancient pearls. This is not a Fossil neither a bone but more or less around 2500 years old Pearl.

I have some more carved pearls as well but this was the best in size and weight, hope you will like it.

Attachments

• close up
    close up
    26.1 KB · Views: 37
  • Ear shot 2
    Ear shot 2
    30.2 KB · Views: 39
  • neck shot
    neck shot
    22.8 KB · Views: 38
Just curious, but what makes you sure this is a pearl?

Last edited:
Somewhere on this forum there is a photo of a pearl, 7,200 years old, found in Kuwait. It is extremely lustrous.

The bead you showed us looks more like a rock- though it could be very very old.

Would you mind putting up a few more photos. How did you get the photo s you put up?

Tell us more about it, where it comes from or where you got it and the size.

Looking forward to hearing from you again.

Well, the nucleus fingerprints like pattern and surface ridges are quite visible in even first picture, anyway, Specific gravity tells its a pearl, then under transmitted light and UV light. couldn't capture good photos under uv light though.

I forgot to mention its probably around from ca 2500 bce.

Attachments

• fire goddess close up
    fire goddess close up
    16.4 KB · Views: 41
  • neck shot 1
    neck shot 1
    23.1 KB · Views: 39
  • neck shot 1
    neck shot 1
    18.6 KB · Views: 42
  • lavender drop set
    lavender drop set
    19.7 KB · Views: 35
I have some more carved pearls as well but this was the best in size and weight.

The object in the images present with striated seasonal growth fronts and bisected prismatic layers.

Technically, it is a bead not a pearl.

Other than age, what other archaeological information is known? (ie) location, culture and species

I do know the differences between organic and non-organic material.

This object is almost weathered and gnawed off, those striated seasonal growth fronts in transmitting light are just patina sort of dust because this object is not been washed.

I have to show you similar looking stones found with it, and they are not pearls, i don't know if i could post any ancient bead's photo here either to show you the difference. but i will.

Last edited:
Yes! Please post more photos. This is a mystery, and we are guessing since we can't touch it, so the more info you can supply, the better. The translucence is interesting.

Not fair to say the specific gravity is that of a pearl and not tell how you tested and measured that feature.

Back