Japanese gunze (ceramic) thread

kojimapearl

After a good laugh here, I have decided to share with the rest of you the thread strong enough to hang Josh. (Pearl gods forbid that by the way).

We call it "Ceramic" Thread, although I will have to ask Fuji again why that is.
It is not silk, it is a nylon. On the inside of the spool it reads: GUNZE
GPT.. H.P.E. 100% (Hyper Pearler Eradicator?)
The spool is 1000 meters of thread, I don't recall ever finishing a spool, usually I give them away or loose them first! I believe this peticular type of thread comes in three sizes, this being size 10. ( for a .9 or 1mm pearl hole, I will use two threads doubled).
I love this thread because it is so strong and easy to knot, the finished product is a supple necklace that does not stretch out like silk does.
The one and only draw back to this "Ceramic thread" is that I have only ever seen it in white! So for most black pearls and fun colored stringing projects.. I still use silk for that.

In response to the "no needle method" of pearl knotting (that Josh picked up so quickly). I think what he actually means is that I do not use a needle to tighten each knot? In fact I make a mess when I try any other method than the one I can do with my eyes closed. (lots and lots of practice!). I do however use recycled electric wire filaments doubled around the thread and twisted to string the pearls onto the thread. Easily found at any hardware store, for 30 cents a foot or so. A foot of electrical wire is enough needles for a very very long time. You can experiment with different thicknesses of wire, I prefer the thinnest.
On the last knot I use a dab of Hypo Tube cement (just to keep the cut thread from unraveling, never ever use cyanoacrilade (sp?) other wise known as super glue, as it will crack the thread with time.
The actual knotting is yet another skill I owe to Fuji, we still race sometimes. It is not really something I can explain in text. Maybe a video would be better.

I hope this is interesting and informative to you all. Please let me know if you have any questions. (and I'm sorry this maybe should be in the lowly beaders forum?)

Cheers and Happy Pearling!
Sarah

Attachments

• thread.jpg
    thread.jpg
    13.9 KB · Views: 32
I have decided to share with the rest of you the thread strong enough to hang Josh.
Sarah of Kojimapearl showed me a pearl thread in Tucson I could hang myself with it was so strong. Luckily I had a good show. She also taught me to string pearls in the tried and true Japanese fashion (no needle). What a legend.
Oooh, wicked double entendre.
Yeah, I meant no needle to tighten the knots. The recycled electrical wire is brilliant.
Oh and impressive photo btw.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Sarah,

would you be so kind to tell us a link where to order this thread?

I too use electrical wire if no needle will fit and I wrote about it on the Lowly Beaders Club but as far as I Know, no one ever replied even though I this was really something coming in handy when all needles hav too great an eye to slip through a tiny freshwater pearl:eek:

Jerin,
We actually order this thread from Japan. Sorry I missed your past post about the use of electrical wire, there is so much information to process and read through here. I will ask Fuji, if he knows of a web link to the supplier. It's not cheap, but it lasts forever.
I will let you know if I find any more leads.
Thanks,

Hi Sarah

and thanks for your reply. It wasn?t meant against You, it is such a long time ago I posted but still it is nice to see that there are other members who have found out about the use of small copper wires,lol.

Look forward to the link for the thread.And I think Caitlin will be curious as well and wants to try some new thread.

Jerin, I took a few minutes and searched around for Gunze thread on the internet this morning, only a few frustrating leads, but honestly I really only had a few minutes to devote to it.
Here's a link to a big huge thread supplier, in the interim you could maybe ask them? I liked their site.. the threads were plenty as were the jokes! Until I get more info.. good luck!
http://www.superiorthreads.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=200&Itemid=100

Jerin: You follow up on this and I'll check it out with the Bead Wrangler. She's a big thread reviewer/expert. At least the biggest one I know of. :)

I did find a website for Gunze thread--but mostly in Japanese, and no apparent way to order. They are evidently a very large company and make finished clothing also, if it is actually the same one.

Pattye
so many pearls, so little time

Jerin: You follow up on this and I'll check it out with the Bead Wrangler. She's a big thread reviewer/expert. At least the biggest one I know of. :)

Hi Knotty and Sarah,

thanks for the link, I am going to follow it up and report about it later, thanks so far....

I did find a website for Gunze thread--but mostly in Japanese, and no apparent way to order. They are evidently a very large company and make finished clothing also, if it is actually the same one.

Pattye
so many pearls, so little time

Hi Pattye,
unfortunately we don?t speak that language, maybe Salem or some other of our Japan based members could help, please!:)

Back