Is this right?

Marilyn

Hello,

I am new to posting on the Pearl-Guide, but have enjoyed reading the many informative posts.

Over the weekend, I went to a trunk show for a very high end brand that deals mostly in pearls (South Sea, Lake Kasumi, Biwa, etc.). Two necklaces really caught my eye - one was a very large bead nucleated pearl strand from Lake Kasumi, and the other was a freshwater keshi strand. When I asked specifics about these strands (I recently completed the GIA - Pearls course, so I am a little knowledgeable), I was told by the brand's sales rep that (1) the bead nucleated pearls were from mollusks that were 15-20years old, and the pearls' large sizes were a direct result of the mollusks' age, and (2) the keshis were from mollusks that were 10 years old. Since I don't recall the GIA course talking about harvesting pearls from mollusks that were this old, I was a little skeptical about what the sales rep said. Do you think what the sales rep said was accurate?

Thanks for your help.

Marilyn

Hi Marylin,

The shells can live for more than 30 years, but maturity is reached in the first few years. The reason older shells are used in China is because bead nucleation is not performed during the first graft (as it is in Kasumi ga Ura). It's possible for the keshi to come from a mollusk that is 10 years old (second or third operation), but a Kasumi would be a lot younger than that.

I don't deal much (or at all) in pearls from Lake Kasumi, but am quite certain that what they told you wasn't true. Sarah does a lot with Kasumi, so she could chime in if she's around.

Jeremy,

Thank you for the information.

I was aware from the Pearls course that the mollusks could live up to 30 years. However, the implication from the brand sales rep was that the Lake Kasumi bead nucleated pearls and keshis were as large as they were was because they had been in the mollusks for 15 to 20 years (for the bead nucleated pearls), and for 10 years for the keshis. From your answer, that information apppears to be incorrect.

Thanks,
Marilyn

Back