Introducing myself

Lady_Disdain

Hi! I am a pearl newbie with a new found love for pearls. I am still rather intimidated by it all and by the forum but I want to learn and find my way around.

I wasn't interested in pearls until recently. I was used to seeing imitation pearls, the little rice crispy freshwater pearls (yes, I am a child of the 80s) and cheap freshwater pearls (such as the ones an ex gave me). Nothing to get excited about and I didn't. Then, I was purchasing gemstones and, on an impulse, I added a strand of peacock potatoes. I wasn't expecting much but the colours were so pretty! I had it strung and I wore it with a pendant/clasp of oxidized silver. Yeah, it looked pretty good and I ended up selling it off my neck, to a very, very insistent lady (and regretting it to this day, if only for nostalgia's sake).

Then, came the inevitable brush in with unethical sellers (including a strand that would rub off dye!) and the learning curve. My original vendor stopped selling pearls, which was why my first strand had been so affordable. Eventually, I found better suppliers and a really pretty strand of peachy metallics (7mm). My next step was finding good quality keshis. I love the irregular shape, the overtones and colours. I learned to knot, etc. Why do I feel I am rapidly gaining speed on the slippery, pearly slope?

I am still rather intimidated by the gorgeous, expensive strands. I am getting some experience at knotting with the freshwater and keshi, getting to know the shapes, colours and sizes, etc. Who knows what the future holds?

P1030135.jpg

Lady_Disdain -- Welcome! I am impressed you learned how to knot so quickly. I haven't ventured into that territory myself...

Welcome! You are in some serious trouble, though. It doesn't take much to get the pearl fever and I don't believe they've found a cure yet! I've been feverous for a few years, it's getting hotter and I love it!

BTW - That is a beautiful piece you posted - is it a necklace or bracelet?

welcome to PG and great strand --I think you'll fit in just great around here!

Welcome!

I agree you're going to fit in very well indeed - and probably be buying more because of it :)

Being able to string your own pearls is such a useful skill that will save you a lot, not just in maintenance but also when buying. I've made almost of my pieces myself with only one exception.

- Karin

Welcome to PG and it is a slippery slope from liking pearls to loving pearls because they are like potato chips you can't have just one ;)

Back