How to use a cone

J

jerin

I am no expert on how to use cones but I am starting up this thread so other more experienced members can tell us. However, I have looked up whatever material I have on cones and will quote some how to start and finish multiple strands with cones:

Step 1: bring multiple strands together and attach to a loop at the end of the wire.

Step 2: Pull the wire through the cone, then form a loop on the top.

Step 3: Complete the bracelet/necklace by attaching a jumpring and clasp.

I also got a nice "how to do it" from Blaire (Gemgeek) together with photos. I will quote the text, perhaps Blaire can post the pics together with the text for all to see.

1) Use a piece of 20-gauge or 22-gauge wire, approximately 2- 2? " longer than your cone.
Bend a loop at one end of your wire. Wrap the end around to secure the loop.

2) Tie cords securely onto the wire loop with a double knot. Trim the ends and glue the knot with Jeweler?s Cement. If your strands are too numerous to tie around the loop, tie the knot first, then feed the wire up through the knot. Loop the wire and secure it around the knot.

3) Thread the straight end of your wire up into the cone, so the knot and the bottom loop are up inside the cone.

4) Grasp the wire where it comes out of the narrow end of the cone with round-nose pliers close to the cone. Bend the wire AWAY from you at a 45? angle, then over the pliers tips back toward you to create an eye loop.

5) Slide your finding (clasp, hook or ring)onto the wire, then wrap the end of the wire around the base of the loop one or two times. Clip off excess wire and smooth the exposed edge with pliers if necessary.

6) Your necklace end is attractively and securely finished.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Jeri,
Thanks for the info

I think you could do the same with a gold bead at the end too.

Do you know where to get anything but large silver plated cones?

Hi Jeri,
Do you know where to get anything but large silver plated cones?

Rio Grande has gold cones, if you have the catalogue see pages 64, 65, 85 (special spring mechanism) and 195.

Gold-filled: page 458. The largest diameter is close to 8 mm.

Silver: pages 411-413.

French Wire or "gimp": there is one in sterling available, 0.6 or 0.7 mm.

Otherwise the gimp is made of base metal with either white or yellow finish. Never seen any gold-filled gimp yet.

Thanks for the compliment, Cathy, let us see the results and give us then your best advice after practicing:):)

Okay... I used a headpin, made a ring and wrapped the end. I , so far, have 4 strands of pearls attaxhed, planning on one more. All in coffee and cream shades but you can't really see

Attachments

• ConeStep1.jpg
    ConeStep1.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 42
I have placed a rolled gold cone over the head pin so you can see. After I knot another strand I'll put the cones on for real. Make a loop outside the narrow end to attach to my clasp.

Attachments

• ConeStep2.jpg
    ConeStep2.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 41
Thanks Cathy, for the lesson, I have pictured that in my mind, but not tried yet! I think for the size of the pearls, the smaller gold beads make a smooth transition, good choice. The pearls look gorgeous too! Please, show us the finished necklace!

Have you ever used any of the clasps with tie bars? They give a nicely finished look--------

I'll see if I can find a photo----------it is sort of like a bead cap or cone, but recessed inside is a soldered bar or crossed bars, which the thread or wire is tied to-----

I have such a clasp and I had to think very hard to get the idea... finally I made it though. Cathy think of one half of a sphere and inside there are soldered cross lying bars, where you can wind your wire or thread around them... hope you understand what I mean?:p:)

Thank you for the pictures Cathy. I could not figure out the written directions. But now with pictures I finally get it! Have always loved this look.
I also love the look of pearls with tie bars, but have not sourced them out yet
Robin

Sure would be great to find some of those clasps for special projects, in sterling and at decent prices----------the cone is a great option though!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back