Hole aroud drilling

Oli

I just recieved new necklace, what do you think about? perla.jpg

Layers of calcite can look like that and sometimes leave a transparent window. The processor drilled the pearl on the flaw so as not to waste the pearl. If it bothers you, you should return it. :) I think it's rather cool, myself!

That was assuming it didn't show when the pearls are on my neck. These things are hard to catch when purchasing in quantities, especially when they should not be in a strand of good quality. The vendor should be willing to replace the pearl or the whole strand.

Everyone has a different tolerance for variations or defects. Now that I'm older, I have noticed if I have to get reading glasses out to see them, then I don't care. :)

That's a considerably sized gap in nacre from what I see, and I would not be happy with it since it was purchased new. I'd request a pearl replacement or a new strand. I am working on restringing an older strand now of 170 pearls and see a few little chips in the nacre near the holes, and it does appear a lot of the pearls were drilled where there was a tiny imperfection, so it makes sense that the raised area might chip off a bit from the pressure of the drill bit or just through rubbing against the knot, assuming it was already weakened by drilling. The ones on my necklace are much smaller but I'm still contemplating whether or not to toss them or use them for something with a bead cover so the missing nacre doesn't show. One other thing I've noticed is that, sometimes the color of the raised area near a drilled hole looks like it is indented. Therefore, I make sure to rub my nail over the area to see if it is indented (missing nacre) or raised (in which case the pearl is fine).

I bought a baroque akoya strand which had one highly iridescent pearl with a very odd look at the drill hole, but as there were no extra pearls to replace it with (and I didn't want to shorten the strand), I kept it. It has not posed any problem so far. The odd spot is not noticeable when the strand is worn. No nacre has chipped off.

If it bothers you, ask to have the pearl replaced if possible.

Here's my oddball:

Attachments

• the oddball baroque akoya.jpg
    the oddball baroque akoya.jpg
    11 KB · Views: 47
I'd say it also depends on what you paid for the necklace. I have a custome level akoya strand I bought for $50, pretty looking at a distance and super thin nacre with flaws. As to be expected...

- Karin

Pattye, so true-- here's another view of same pearl.

Attachments

• extra dollop of nacre.jpg
    extra dollop of nacre.jpg
    10.3 KB · Views: 48
I'm still betting it's a calcite window and not a bead that lost its nacre. It doesn't look like a shell bead.

Oli, you should contact the seller and get it replaced. I doubt that the seller knew it was there and sent it out that way on purpose. Most sellers want you to be a happy customer so you will buy from them again. :)

Definitely agree with Blaire here; as a vendor I'd be mortified and insist on replacing the pearl once you brought it to my attention.

That pearl looks like something we were warned about in Health class. I hope the other pearls next to it took that same class I did <wink>

(too much?) LoL.

I bought a baroque akoya strand which had one highly iridescent pearl with a very odd look at the drill hole, but as there were no extra pearls to replace it with (and I didn't want to shorten the strand), I kept it. It has not posed any problem so far. The odd spot is not noticeable when the strand is worn. No nacre has chipped off.

If it bothers you, ask to have the pearl replaced if possible.

Here's my oddball:

LOL, there is nothing contagious about that pearl! The others are all okay!

I was just teasing, I am sure they are all just fine. Pearls with personality are so much fun to design around!

LOL, there is nothing contagious about that pearl! The others are all okay!

Back