Help Please - Try to make a pair of earring (stud) with loose pearls

Minasan

Community member
Hello,
I just purchased a pair of loose pearls and want to make a pair of stud earring!
So the pearls are 12-12.5 MM, round.
Where can I order earring finds for that?
Sorry for the silly question but I have no idea how to start.
Any suggestions are welcome!

Are the pearls half-drilled? If not, you will need to find someone with a drill to drill them for you.

In the USA you can buy pearl stud findings from Bellas Findings, for one place.

Or you could have the jeweler who drills them for you also set them. Unless you really want to do the job yourself, that would be the easiest way. My GSS earring pearls came undrilled; I took them to a jeweler I trust to drill and set them for me.

Thank you PD, I dont expect someone will reply so soon!
Yes they came with half-drilled, 0.8 mm hole.
I'll check out bellas findings now!

Are the pearls half-drilled? If not, you will need to find someone with a drill to drill them for you.

In the USA you can buy pearl stud findings from Bellas Findings, for one place.

Or you could have the jeweler who drills them for you also set them. Unless you really want to do the job yourself, that would be the easiest way. My GSS earring pearls came undrilled; I took them to a jeweler I trust to drill and set them for me.

Hello JP, I have small earlobes. Do you think the big backs will show?

I agree with PD...they have a variety of sizes and metals to choose from. You may also want to consider a larger pair of butterfly backs to help stabilize the large pearls. Rio Grande is another good source for findings.

tem: 27896

Description
14kw 7mm cup heavy weight pearl stud earring

14KW 7mm Cup Heavy Weight Pearl Stud Earring Item Weight Approximately 24.27 Grams For 100 Pieces (Sold by Pieces)

-------------------------------------------------------------------
So i was looking at this on bellas findings,
Anyone know what is 7MM mean? It refers to the round bottom part or the wire part that glute together with the pearl? Not sure I express my question clearly...

Hi Minasan, if you got to www.riogrande.com and search for Earring Backs, you'll find a wide variety of earring backs to browse through. Lots of finishes, metals, and some of the larger "comfort backs" too. Just a place to get started. Much will depend on what kind of metal you want for your earring findings. I have small ear lobes too, and find a "comfort back" or a large earring back really helps; otherwise the pearl stud droops forward from weight. There is also a product called Lobe Wonder that some of the ladies like, but I haven't tried. Have fun browsing all the findings :) Maybe show us a photo of your pearls? We love to help :)

You have to get the right cup size for the pearl you are using.

I am wondering whether a "7mm cup" is a cup to hold a 7mm pearl, or if the cup itself is 7mm. Someone who knows how this works will have to tell you.

Oh that's a great point, Pearl Dreams. I don't know either, but someone here will. Rio Grande can always get additional measurements and answer questions if you call or email them; I'm sure the other companies can also.

Sorry, Minasan, our posts crossed :) I bet if you email Bella, they'll be able to get an answer for you. We'd love to see your earrings!

Did somebody mentioned lobe wonder from pattye? I think that will help with bigger pearls too. From what I know 7mm cup is a good size to hold pearls bigger than 10mm. My candy colored studs have 5mm or 6mm cups. The pearls are about 13mm button shaped. Oh, alternatively you can order E6000 if you don't want to bother with mixing 2-part epoxy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lobe Wonder is an oval patch with stickum on the back that you stick on the back of your ear and push the earring post through. It helps take the weight of the earring off your hole. I find it a bit of a pain to try to get it positioned on the back of my ear. I don't think it's a replacement for a larger earring back, though. I use both.

A large earring back won't show unless your hole is very close to the edge of your ear.

I use large earring backs on all my earrings, as they keep the earring up where it's supposed to be.

They make my ears look younger, sort of like an earring bra. A braziearring.

BWeaves, LOVE IT!

I love lobe wonder...wear them every day. Our wonderful pattye offers small try me packs in her Etsy shop.

Minasan, the 7mm refers to the cup size on the earring stud. Generally, you want the pearl to be at least 2-3 mm larger than the cup so that it fits the curve of the pearl. I don't have any earring findings in my stash right now, otherwise I would measure the peg width. My mind is thinking it is about 0.8 mm but may be a tad larger. Peg length can also be an issue if the peg is a tad longer than the drill hole length. Don't be surprised if you need to trim the end of the peg mounting to fit your pearl. I usually drill my pearls for earring mounts at 1.0 mm. I would definitely call Bella and ask them to measure it out for you. The larger backs come in a few different sizes and weights. Make sure that you get a backing that fits the post (not the peg) of the earring finding you want. It's kind of a lot of information, I know, and it might be easier just to order a set from Rio Grande. On the glue, I prefer to use gel based super glue (mentioned by Pareltje above) rather than two part epoxy. I find it very easy to work with and very very secure. A very little bit goes a long way...you need just a small drop or two, depending on the cup, the peg and the pearl. And please be sure to measure and check the fit BEFORE you apply any glue. With a stud, you really don't have to worry about pearl position, but with a dangle style, you will want to mount the pearl with any obvious blemishes toward the back of the setting rather than the front. Good luck to you and I cannot wait to see your finished project!

Thank you Cathy, I was checking the RIO right now!

Hi Minasan, if you got to www.riogrande.com and search for Earring Backs, you'll find a wide variety of earring backs to browse through. Lots of finishes, metals, and some of the larger "comfort backs" too. Just a place to get started. Much will depend on what kind of metal you want for your earring findings. I have small ear lobes too, and find a "comfort back" or a large earring back really helps; otherwise the pearl stud droops forward from weight. There is also a product called Lobe Wonder that some of the ladies like, but I haven't tried. Have fun browsing all the findings :) Maybe show us a photo of your pearls? We love to help :)

I use Acrylic Disc from Rio Grande. You get 100 in a package. The can be clipped lever toe nail clippers to the size you require if they happen to show a little from behind the ear. I wear 13mm Tahitians and they stay erect and up against the ear without slipping forward. I am allergic to tape so wonder lobes are not a fit for me. Also, if you have Omega back earrings these discs also keep them setting correctly on the ear.
https://www.riogrande.com/Product/Clear-Acrylic-Comfort-Disc/631033

I bought a smaller package of similar acrylic discs on eBay but I find them very easy to lose, and hard to find! Also the hole in the ones I bought is too small for my thicker earring posts. Perhaps the Rio ones have a larger hole. And with a package of 100, losing a few wouldn't be such a bother. :rolleyes:

Oh mine! JP thank you for leaving such a detailed post!
I learned a lot. Well it's my first time to try to make sth for myself. I ordered the loose pearls so I though the setting wont be too hard.
But I'm wrong, I had a hard time figure everything out!!!
I was browsing Rio this afternoon but I can't find the pearl stud set from the website. I found a lot of dangli settings.
Is there a secret way to search the settings? I did a pearl earring search and there are so many things showed up...
I was like @.@

BWeaves, LOVE IT!

I love lobe wonder...wear them every day. Our wonderful pattye offers small try me packs in her Etsy shop.

Minasan, the 7mm refers to the cup size on the earring stud. Generally, you want the pearl to be at least 2-3 mm larger than the cup so that it fits the curve of the pearl. I don't have any earring findings in my stash right now, otherwise I would measure the peg width. My mind is thinking it is about 0.8 mm but may be a tad larger. Peg length can also be an issue if the peg is a tad longer than the drill hole length. Don't be surprised if you need to trim the end of the peg mounting to fit your pearl. I usually drill my pearls for earring mounts at 1.0 mm. I would definitely call Bella and ask them to measure it out for you. The larger backs come in a few different sizes and weights. Make sure that you get a backing that fits the post (not the peg) of the earring finding you want. It's kind of a lot of information, I know, and it might be easier just to order a set from Rio Grande. On the glue, I prefer to use gel based super glue (mentioned by Pareltje above) rather than two part epoxy. I find it very easy to work with and very very secure. A very little bit goes a long way...you need just a small drop or two, depending on the cup, the peg and the pearl. And please be sure to measure and check the fit BEFORE you apply any glue. With a stud, you really don't have to worry about pearl position, but with a dangle style, you will want to mount the pearl with any obvious blemishes toward the back of the setting rather than the front. Good luck to you and I cannot wait to see your finished project!

I searched for "post earring with cup and peg" and that brought up listings, but I don;t see any cups larger than 4mm.

What metal are you looking for? White gold, yellow gold, silver?

Back