Head pin gauge size?

starfish

Community member
I have several fully drilled loose pearls and am wanting to wire wrap some individually for bracelet charms. I have never attempted wire wrapping and am wondering what gauge head pins and wire is best to work with for pearls in the 8-10mm size, both in sterling and 14k? I’m not sure what size the drill holes are but they were sold in single 15-16 inch hanks. They are mostly ringed Tahitians.
Thank you!

Hi Starfish,

Sounds like you have some pretty pearls to work with! Probably the hole size will range from .70 mm - .80 mm. Mostly I use 24 gauge wire/headpins 24g = .51 mm) in sterling silver, gold fill, and 14 karat gold.

Karat gold is stiffer and a bit more difficult to work with than the equivalent in sterling silver or gold fill, imo. Recommend getting soft in karat gold wire or having the wire annealed for easier handling. As you wrap any wire you will feel it "work hardening."

Interested to hear from others with experiences and recommendations. Does anyone use 25 gauge wire?

Last edited:
You've probably already started the project, but I have a recommendation if you ever need to test out different wire/gauges. I recently made a rosary, and knew I wanted to use Argentium silver. I ordered 24-21g wire in various strengths (dead soft to hard), about 12 inches each piece. It was cheap, usually less than a dollar per piece and it gave me demos to find out what look/strength I wanted. My case was a little different than yours, since I needed both aesthetics and strong loops (to withstand use during prayer). After I used the metal, I wrote with Sharpie on the back of the baggie my thoughts (too hard to work with, makes nice knots, loops bend too easy when pushed, ect). So now I have a reference for future projects, just a thought! Good luck!

Interested to hear from others with experiences and recommendations. Does anyone use 25 gauge wire?

Hey Pattye, I didn't see this until after I posted. I don't have any pictures, but I actually like using 25-26g wire/headpins from time to time. I ordered some once on accident (0.02inch/25-26g)! GREAT for small stones on wire-wrapping, I just keep the loops super small and only wrap around once or twice max. I also don't stack things and just wrap one small piece at a time, if that makes sense. I'm such a boy and hard on my things, so I worry about accidentally bending the loops. I've never worked with karat gold, since you said its stiffer it may actually hold up very well! I'm not brave enough to try though...

Back