Have I finally found my natural seed pearls ?

What a wonderful collection you have Helen. When you wear them do you wear several strands at a time?

One must consider the grade. High grading seed pearls to create strands obscures their origin, because data needed to make a proper analysis is missing. Human intervention, intentionally or not, give subjective impressions to appear in ways the market, not science perceives them.

Again, pearls can be any color, any size and any shape for any reason irrespective of species .

Thank you Dave, you always give such pertinent comments. I've spent hours minutely examining these strands, comparing them and trying to learn their secrets, but an input from your scientific mind can instantly give a perspective and context it's all too easy to forget in the rush to have an answer. What we can come to accept as history is too often based on what we suppose and assume, particularly with fields that aren't extensively documented.

Each of these strands represented to me the chance to learn. Once I had them to myself I could indulge in hours of examination. I've always been attracted to 'small things', and the first strand (and possibly the oldest) I bought is a 30 inch long three row graduated from 0.5-3mm. It is just a wonder! It isn't very attractive against the skin (looks a bit like a triple strand of dirty string!) and I don't wear it as I'm scared it will break, but it's value to me is in its curiosity. The pipi was one that I saw for a moment, had to offer a quick price (l had no idea what they could be, but desperately wanted to get my hungry eyes on them) and then the seller was gone, not to return until months later.

I have to say Sophie, that if I saw yours in those eBay pics I would have felt they were older natural seed pearls, likewise the other rounder strand would have caught my eye too. Have you got further pics of those ones? Have you candled them? Or held them up in a bright, sunny window?

Antique natural pearls is my main area of interest, and after reading this thread I've been trying to analyse my approach to identification.

Natural vs Cultural

Luster ----------- 0.0 - 0.0
Shape ----------- 0.0 - 0.0
Inclusions ------ 0.0 - 0.0
Matching ------- 0.0- 0.0
Structure ------- 0.0 - 0.0
Size -------------- 0.0 - 0.0
Color ------------ 0.0 - 0.0
Translucency --- 0.0 - 0.0
Onset ----------- 0.0 - 0.0
Nuclear--------- 0.0 - 0.0

Compare each by scoring a point for similarity or non-similarity. You can score one way or the other, or split a point when present in both. If neither present, score no point.

As a rule of thumb, a score of 5 (or more) merits a trip to the lab. A score of 8 or more, don't bother with a lab, they're probably natural, unless you need the value added for resale.

Less than 5, save your money whether don't buy it or just enjoy it for what it is.

It's not perfect, but it covers what a layperson should observe on their own before buying, selling or certifying natural pearls in the absence of provenance.

By the way Helen, your collection is remarkably endless. Just how many pieces do you have?

I really wish all of you could see my collection in person. It would change the way you view pearls.

In the 40 years of doing this, I've harvested more than 10000 natural pearls. To the average Joe, one might think I'd arrive at a showing with a few sacks over my shoulders or toting Mikeyy's giant suitcase. When in fact, I'll show up with a couple of film containers and a hundred or so 1x2 plastic ziplock bags in a small tupperware sandwich box.

Just the action of pouring them out, grabs attention you wouldn't otherwise expect. All pearls appear differently in various lighting, but culture pearls vary to a lesser degree than naturals. Natural pearls look horrid in balanced light, yet extreme light and sharp angles raise naturals to extraordinary heights not possible in cultural pearls. This is when flame patterns, translucency or other features stand out.

In person, I can pick up a strand, hold it to light and tell almost immediately if they are natural of cultured. Single pearls are much harder, because you have nothing to compare to but memory.

The other thing you'd notice about my pearls, is how dissimilar they are, even though they appear similar at a glance and largely come from the same species. I fidget for hours on end to find matches, but usually end up frustrated and put them all away having failed. That probably says more about my design vision rather than identification savvy though. I struggled to match up some sets before Christmas and ended up with maybe ten pairs. All with minor side by side compromises, but not discernible in each ear lobe. Then our jolie Sophie comes along and creams the nicest pair of all of them :rolleyes:. All kidding aside, I'm delighted that she's delighted and needless to say, am anxious to see how they look with her new seed strand.. hint hint.

This is "the strand" aka my retirement. Can you pick two, no less three identical ones? Not so easy is it?

Attachments

• natural_mussel.jpg
    natural_mussel.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 35
Pictures of a natural pearls "ruckus" are flashing in front of my eyes ! I will come and see your pearls Dave.

I really wish all of you could see my collection in person. It would change the way you view pearls.

In the 40 years of doing this, I've harvested more than 10000 natural pearls. To the average Joe, one might think I'd arrive at a showing with a few sacks over my shoulders or toting Mikeyy's giant suitcase. When in fact, I'll show up with a couple of film containers and a hundred or so 1x2 plastic ziplock bags in a small tupperware sandwich box.

Just the action of pouring them out, grabs attention you wouldn't otherwise expect. All pearls appear differently in various lighting, but culture pearls vary to a lesser degree than naturals. Natural pearls look horrid in balanced light, yet extreme light and sharp angles raise naturals to extraordinary heights not possible in cultural pearls. This is when flame patterns, translucency or other features stand out.

All kidding aside, I'm delighted that she's delighted and needless to say, am anxious to see how they look with her new seed strand.. hint hint.

Yes, yes, yes. I got the hint ! Need to organize a photoshoot to give them justice. They are my everyday pearls, and saying that I'm delighted is an understatement. They simply give me joy.
Here is an indoor, poor lighting photo in the meantime.
image.jpg

Natural vs Cultural

Luster ----------- 0.0 - 0.0
Shape ----------- 0.0 - 0.0
Inclusions ------ 0.0 - 0.0
Matching ------- 0.0- 0.0
Structure ------- 0.0 - 0.0
Size -------------- 0.0 - 0.0
Color ------------ 0.0 - 0.0
Translucency --- 0.0 - 0.0
Onset ----------- 0.0 - 0.0
Nuclear--------- 0.0 - 0.0

Compare each by scoring a point for similarity or non-similarity. You can score one way or the other, or split a point when present in both. If neither present, score no point

My thanks, Dave this is so helpful. I have some to test it on so I'll try it on my next free day and let you know how I get on. It could take some time tho' as it was a two row necklace that had been put together. One row is natural, the other is a real mixed selection, some definitely lower quality cultured, but I don't want to dismiss it without checking each pearl.

I too would love to see your collection. If this strand is an example, and these pearls all come from the same species, I understand why you say it is so tricky to pick any one pearl (unless really distinctive) and know what species. What sizes are the pearls? This makes me think that if I owned that strand I'd have a few favourites in there! Ones that show particular qualities really well?

What sizes are the pearls? This makes me think that if I owned that strand I'd have a few favourites in there! Ones that show particular qualities really well?

The inner row are 4.5 to 5.5mm and the outer row are 5.5 to 7.0mm.

Yes, I have a few favorites too. The translucent tawny/golds are the purest, lustrous nacre. Rivaling the finest naturals from other oceans.

This strand will ultimately be matched by mismatch, if that makes any sense.

The point I'm trying to impress being the true virtue of a natural collection is how unique not how similar the pearls are.

Every time I look at these, I see or learn something new. There's a lifetime of gazing in there.

A few lifetimes of wonder yet to come.

My thanks, Dave this is so helpful. I have some to test it on so I'll try it on my next free day and let you know how I get on.

Please do. When you score each point, write a comment beside it. It helps demonstrate how it was considered.

Upload of a picture with my 2 strands, and new natural pearl earrings (my christmas to myself). I think the earrings are 4.5 mm. (They look bigger with the strands :)
image.jpg

Yes, I agree that it's a great thread. In fact, it seems that we have been enjoying a lot of interesting threads with great knowledge-sharing and fun participation. :)

Wow, those earrings are perfection and such a beautiful combination with the necklaces! (glad we got a bit of sunshine today too :) )

Swit-swoo!! They ARE lovely together, and bring out each other's uniqueness. What a beautifully mismatched combo! So, the earrings are California mussel pearls?

Thank you all for the compliments ! As Purranah said in another thread, there no such thing as too much pearls ! I was not going for a particular look / matching, I just went by the way they make me feel (the more pearls, the best I feel :cool:)
Found the glamour shot Dave had send me. My set is the bottom right set. All those are 4.5- 5 mm
image.jpg

Back