Hanadamas at the Tucson Show

starfish

Community member
Does anyone know if there are dealers that sell hanadama pearls at the Tucson show? I know there are online sellers offering them, but I would really like to see them in person if possible. Many thanks.

Hi welcome, sorry for the delay. Who can help? Caitlin?

(I've never been to Tuscon, but many others have.)

I'm wondering if you might get Jeremy (Pearl Paradise) or other vendors on PG to bring a selection as they are going anyway. If it's for personal use, that is.

- Karin

I haven't noticed any. You would probably have to ask each vendor if they have them. :)

Isn't there a list published on the website of potential vendors? With contact information? or no?

Just about any akoya vendor from Japan will have hanadama grade and be willing to cert them if you want if they haven't already. There is a range, however. I've recently been surprised at the quality that has passed their certification.

I'm totally novice about akoyas, as you know Jeremy. (and unlikely to venture into what seems to be a field full of potholes) I might dabble at one or two coloured strands but very happiiy leave the whites to experts such as you
What is the price lift for a strand with a certificate as against an identical one without? Will having a certificate help a strand keep some value second hand?
Is it really worth having or is it good branding - your comment just made makes me wonder, if they are passing not-so-superbs. Is there a bit of (reverse) grade inflation as it were? Is it just mystique, smoke and mirrors?
Thanks

A lab certificate will always enhance the value and salability of any gem. In pearls, it's the closest possible way to come to some sort of commoditization since no international or common standards exist. If pearls were completely commoditized as diamonds are, most companies that specialize in pearls would go out of business or need to be completely restructured.

There is a reason you never see certified, commoditized items (like diamonds) on QVC, ShopNBC or HSN. Potential buyers would immediately compare the pricing against something like Rappaport or even Blue Nile and realize how huge the actual markups are.

I know this is going to lead to the question "why isn't there a system?" but to put it into perspective look at diamonds.

White diamonds have 23 color grades. There are 11 clarity grades on the GIA clarity scale. The are graded on girdle thickness from the thinnest portion to the thickest with both having eight different grades. Add to that the different cuts and proportions and you get a near infinite number of combinations that create value. Yet gemologists have succeeded in mostly commoditizing them. Value is not very subjective.

Diamonds are cut and shaped by man to be as consistent as possible. Pearls are formed by mollusks who could care less and formed by a lot of different species and sub-species of mollusks, some of which create the "same" pearl.

Try doing that math.

commoditize = churn them out all the same or at least carefully classified according to a checklist of criteria which is duplicable anywhere in the world?

Diamonds are objective while pearls are subjective?

Badly expressed - what I meant by the first point was that diamonds described as x will all be x, a bit like a packet of biscuits rather than hand baked biscuits which will all be biscuits but different....That's probably not helping clarify.....[gives up]

Thank you all for your input and discussion. I thought I would be safe inside the walls of the AGTA show but perhaps not. I guess I will need to trust my own eyes to a greater extent. Now I have a more complex mission!

starfish
Were you planning on doing the Strack lecture and the pearl walk with us? Strack is great and usually reports on the latest pearl news. Then we walk together through the AGTA and the GJX. There is a guy I have seen Jeremy buy akoya from- so they will be equivalent to uncertified hanadama quality. You will have choices. You could probably get a PhD in pearls by asking Jeremy questions. That's what he always comes for, the P-G.com members!

Yes, I am planning on the Strack lecture again (I went last year for the first time.) I am very interested in the pearl walk. Can you tell me if it starts immediately following the lecture, and about how long it lasts? I would love to join in, time permitting as Tucson is a business trip and pearls are a personal interest. And I am full of questions, thank you Caitlin!

Lisa

The lecture is a 9 as you probably already know. She stops talking at about 10 and we mill around chatting. Then we go to the AGTA show, maybe by 10:30 or so The GKX is after lunch. I think that may be the better show to buy from. I hope you can fit it in with your schedule.

What's the date again? I'll have to see if my friend Simone wants to join again.

-Karin

Back