What is on these pearls and why?

A Breaker

I recently got these and when I put my glasses on realized that there seems to be what looks like paint on them. Does anyone know what it is and why it would be on there? Thanks
IMG_9363.jpg

Do you have a larger photo? I can't make the image out clearly, but I suspect it is a hardening agent that was applied to blemishes or holes in the nacre. I've seen this done on strands and it looks like it's painted on - almost like a paste or some sort of cement. The color is the same as the nacre, but it looks obvious and unnatural. I saw them for the first time at the Hong Kong show perhaps 5 years ago. I haven't seen them in a while though.

Image is too small to see details...but it seems the pearls have been "ground down". I have seen some pearls that have attached to the inner shell of the mollusk, are then detached and the attachment site has this "scar" that is usually the ground down and polished.
Hard to say!

My camera can't seem to get closer....BUT it is nail polish paint or something like it. I remember someone here saying Acetone (nail polish remover) was safe on pearls. I got some on a Q-tip and swirled it around the edges, the acetone removed enough and smoothed out the paintbrush strokes, that I can use them. So by process of what would remove it, I conclude it was some type of nail polish like paint. I really appreciate all the help and I never would have guessed acetone would be safe on pearls....nor tried it with out this forum!

Marianne I would love to see a photo of that! What kind and color did she use...that might even make these look better.​

I think it would have looked a lot better, if they had used a high quality nail polish...this mostly matched the color, but the brush strokes were really bad. Most nail polish doesn't have the brush strokes.​

Marianne I would love to see a photo of that! What kind and color did she use...that might even make these look better.​

I think it would have looked a lot better, if they had used a high quality nail polish...this mostly matched the color, but the brush strokes were really bad. Most nail polish doesn't have the brush strokes.​

Revlon makes a shade of polish called “Pure Pearl.” I’ve used it on vintage/costume jewelry. It works well. Just has to dry/cure for a sufficient time. It’s also pretty as a manicure, pearl lovers!

I’ll search for other pearl nail polishes now. Another that I know of offhand is Tokyo Pearl by Sinful Colors.

I’ve also used clear nail lacquer with gold leaf flakes on glass and gem beads. As long as you wait long enough for it to dry, it’s durable enough.

Hope this helps!

Signed, Your Resident Nail Polish Collector

Last edited:
Back